or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread - Page 21

post #301 of 1110

Bad news is the GE5814 didn't go with the HD800 either , strangely it was too bright this time

Good news is the WA7 clearly reacts to different rectifier tubes so , rolling is definitely on

Out with the GE in with a pair of AWV 12au7 made in Australia and more bad news , white flash on power up

Yes the reaper is coming for my tubes , I let them warm up and had a quick listen they sounded great

Not being a natural risk taker I shut everything down after a few minutes as I believe that the momentary arc will at some point possibly become a full short

I will go back to the stock tubes this evening as I know they are good , just to make sure the problem was with the new tube

post #302 of 1110
Curiously, when did you order?
post #303 of 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatrix View Post
 

Bad news is the GE5814 didn't go with the HD800 either , strangely it was too bright this time

Good news is the WA7 clearly reacts to different rectifier tubes so , rolling is definitely on

Out with the GE in with a pair of AWV 12au7 made in Australia and more bad news , white flash on power up

Yes the reaper is coming for my tubes , I let them warm up and had a quick listen they sounded great

Not being a natural risk taker I shut everything down after a few minutes as I believe that the momentary arc will at some point possibly become a full short

I will go back to the stock tubes this evening as I know they are good , just to make sure the problem was with the new tube

 

Bummer!  I ordered a set of Sylvania JAN 5814A in anticipation of getting my WA7Tp.  Hopefully it wasn't a waste.

post #304 of 1110

I have a pair of Sylvania 5814 and I suspect they will behave differently to the GE tubes I will try them next

The GE I have were the cheapest grey plate two mica type so the GE black plate triple mica may be better

I need to go back to the stock tubes for tonight's session to make sure the arc was not a fault with the TP

post #305 of 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatrix View Post
 

I have a pair of Sylvania 5814 and I suspect they will behave differently to the GE tubes I will try them next

The GE I have were the cheapest grey plate two mica type so the GE black plate triple mica may be better

I need to go back to the stock tubes for tonight's session to make sure the arc was not a fault with the TP

 

Hopefully it's not the TP!  Seems like too many issues reported so far.

But I'm definitely interested to hear about how the Sylvania's work for you if the TP's still working.

post #306 of 1110

Fingers crossed , but I am 90% it is one of the tubes 

An arc like that is quite common in a tube rectifier it could work normally for ages or it could short out and melt down next time I switch on

Safest just to pull the tubes and start again

I don't think it has been too bad for a new product release

There were the early cosmetic issues and the fuse thing both of which seem to have been addressed

Only a couple of people have been unfortunate enough to need a return

post #307 of 1110
I've been listening to the Sylvania JAN's since getting my WA7tp 2 months ago and I love the sound I'm getting. I never even tried the stock tubes...I put the JAN's in straight away. Really warm bass and creamy mids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Edited by EdmontonCanuck - 6/30/14 at 5:53pm
post #308 of 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonCanuck View Post

I've been listening to the Sylvania JAN's since getting my WA7tp 2 months ago and I love the sound I'm getting. I never even tried the stock tubes...I put the JAN's in straight away. Really warm bass and creamy mids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

 

That sounds good - thanks for the feedback!  I'll probably try the stock tubes first if only for comparison sake.

post #309 of 1110

All is well, stock tubes in no sign of arcing

I think this may be a common problem with rollers as I suspect the offending tube would still test good

Anyway, on to Sylvania this evening see if I can replicate the positive results

post #310 of 1110

3 hours in on the Sylvania 5814a and I am sold it's all true strong clean bass classic tube mid-range sparkly treble

I was a little concerned as I have the domestic version with yellow Sylvania logo not the JAN version

Construction looked identical to the military type from pictures and they were a very strong closely matched pair

Definitely a must have for all WA7tp owners a clear upgrade over the stock tubes  

post #311 of 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonCanuck View Post

I've been listening to the Sylvania JAN's since getting my WA7tp 2 months ago and I love the sound I'm getting. I never even tried the stock tubes...I put the JAN's in straight away. Really warm bass and creamy mids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

 

That sounds good - thanks for the feedback!  I'll probably try the stock tubes first if only for comparison sake.


Don't get me wrong. I'm a complete noob to this whole tube thing. I still don't understand how rectifier tubes can affect audio signature at all. I'm still in the "it's all snake oil to me". But I had the Sylvania JAN's and I put them in and I loved how it all sounds so I'm done with trying to find something else. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe technically it didn't make a sniff of a difference, but I'm happy with what I have.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #312 of 1110
Finally received the WA7/WA7tp. Wasn't able to listen to it that long since I got it at work right before the long holiday weekend.

Quick impressions over my Schitt Asgard 1/Bifrost is that the bass is much deeper and the soundstage opened up a bit.

I'll try to give further impressions when I get more time with it next week
post #313 of 1110

Finally had a chance to set up my WA7tp using stock 12AU7 tubes.  Like the poster above, my immediate impression (using HD800) is that the sound stage has opened and there's greater separation.  However, this seems to come at the expense (to me) of a brighter sound and less bass.  I have a set of Sylvania JAN 5814A that I want to eventually try out but for now I want to see what changes occur, if any, with burn-in.  It amazes me though that a change in the PSU could result in such a noticeable change in the sound.

post #314 of 1110

I also received my wa7tp and after hooking it all up, it appears it might be DOA. Nothing happens at all.. I'm assuming all you have to do is click the button in. Very depressing :( 

EDIT - tried it with old psu and that is working fine.. :(
Second edit - Im an idiot lol, didnt have the actual unit turned on! All good!, sorry woo audio for blaming you guys! 


Edited by Aaranu - 7/9/14 at 3:53am
post #315 of 1110
I got mine today. Sounds great with the Sylvania 5814A. What an addition to the wa7! If I had to make a critic, I would have harden the feedback of the on/off button and prevented rotation.

Overall great job Woo for this fantastic PSU for the wa7.


Edit: The 1' cord is a great add.
Edited by damercie - 7/9/14 at 4:18am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread