or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread - Page 19

post #271 of 1110

Yikes!  :eek:  I love these guys and their products.  I have order several items in the past.  Got to admit though, Take the money 1st and wait 6 week+ is quite a lot.  I like the idea of building 1st then taking the $$$s.  It certainly will get a home if someones cancels after ordering.  Once again, great guys, Jacks the best, but maybe a few more guys building would get us customers a little more happy.  :k701smile:

post #272 of 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
 

Just got my TP today. Listened to it for about 15 mintes before having to leave. Came back after watching the footy, turned it on again and the fuse blows... Not happy


Are the mains voltage in Australia happen to be 220V? If it is, I would assume WA7tp does not work quite as efficiently as if it were under 110V. I used mine for about 30 hours and and no single listening session exceeded two hours because it got alarmingly hot. Next day the fuse blew up. I haven't used it since because I could not find a 200mA fuse.

 

I'm thinking of selling it but it's hard to let go of something so beautiful.

post #273 of 1110

Yea.. I sent an email at the end of May and they said it was shipping middle of June. Just sent an email yesterday but no response yet. I did ask to cancel and get a refund at this point but we will see...

post #274 of 1110

ah then, you still got a few months to wait... just hope the fuse doesn't blow as soon as you get it :bigsmile_face:

post #275 of 1110

I ordered April 22, delivery June 16 it is worth waiting for

Running on 250v measured at the wall no problem so far

TP is running around 5C above amp temp after 3 hours stock tubes

HD800 sound is perfect

post #276 of 1110
Tell us how that works out for you.
post #277 of 1110

both of my tp run way hotter then the amp... base is easily twice as hot.

post #278 of 1110

I have a low ambient as it is approaching winter down here

Measured with IR thermometer ambient 18c WA7 31c TP 36c

I would expect temps considerably higher as ambient rises but the difference between amp and ps should remain around 15%

My LaFigaro has been running around 60-80c for three years without problems

Most caps are rated to 85c so high temp alone should not cause failures

All those with fuse issues have my sympathy, hope it doesn't turn into an epidemic

post #279 of 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by karzai View Post


Are the mains voltage in Australia happen to be 220V? If it is, I would assume WA7tp does not work quite as efficiently as if it were under 110V. I used mine for about 30 hours and and no single listening session exceeded two hours because it got alarmingly hot. Next day the fuse blew up. I haven't used it since because I could not find a 200mA fuse.

 

I'm thinking of selling it but it's hard to let go of something so beautiful.

 



Yeah Australia use 230v mains. I don't think i could part with the pair though becasue they sit so nicely on my desk (even though the glass is mismatched)! Hopefully replacing the fuse will solve this problem once and for all. I also leave my wa7 power switch on at all times and just press the TP's power button to turn the system off. Hope that doesnt cause any issues.

I've also noticed that turning the TP on will result in a bright flash coming from somewhere on the back of the power supply, possibly from the fuse. Does anyone else experience this?

Overall, i found that the soundstage and clarity of my HD800's has improved noticeably so money well spent i guess. Can't wait to roll some tubes to possibly bring out the bottom end a bit more.
post #280 of 1110

Switched on this evening paying close attention to the fuse area and no flash or light

Sounds like you have a momentary arc Bevo make sure the clips holding the fuse are clean and tight

Something I discovered this evening while playing with my ir thermometer, although the body of the TP is hotter the tops of the tubes measured 43c compared to 77c on the amp

post #281 of 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kong View Post

I still haven't received mine and I ordered at the beginning of May...


Placed my order on May 3rd.  Just sent an e-mail requesting an update. 

 

On another note: you guys that have blown fuses, are you using the new short cord or the original one from the amp?

post #282 of 1110

I wonder if anyone has considered swapping the fuse for a higher end HiFi Tuning fuse.

 

Esau

post #283 of 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon Frank View Post
 


Placed my order on May 3rd.  Just sent an e-mail requesting an update. 

 

On another note: you guys that have blown fuses, are you using the new short cord or the original one from the amp?


Long one. I got my TP in the middle of May, about 2 weeks before the short cord came out.

 

I'm sorry that you still did not receive yours. I placed and paid my order on April 2 and the unit got delivered on May 22. 

 

Maybe they are doing more quality checks and tweaks based on the early bird feedbacks.


Edited by karzai - 6/20/14 at 11:52am
post #284 of 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by karzai View Post


Long one. I got my TP in the middle of May, about 2 weeks before the short cord came out.

I'm sorry that you still did not receive yours. I placed and paid my order on April 2 and the unit got delivered on May 22. 

Maybe they are doing more quality checks and tweaks based on the early bird feedbacks.

Well I just got a reply from Mike Liang. Said they had some production delays so you might be right. Should ship within 10 days smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone blow a fuse with the short cord. Looking for a pattern.
post #285 of 1110

Placed my order on 5/15 but haven't heard anything about delivery yet.  I'm hoping that if there are some issues with the PSU that they're taking their time to address them.  I'd rather wait a while longer if it meant getting a better/more reliable unit.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread