New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to upgrade

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
:)Hi All, I'm looking to upgrade my headphones, I'm currently using Soundmagic HP 100 and I'm thinking do getting a new pair, I'm thinking of the senhisser HD600 , the hd600's are selling at a good price at the moment .
Any thoughts ?smily_headphones1.gif
post #2 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike46 View Post

:)Hi All, I'm looking to upgrade my headphones, I'm currently using Soundmagic HP 100 and I'm thinking do getting a new pair, I'm thinking of the senhisser HD600 , the hd600's are selling at a good price at the moment .
Any thoughts ?smily_headphones1.gif

The HD600 is a great choice!

One of the most 'natural' sounding headphones I've ever heard, with amazing mids.

How do you plan to drive them? Do you have a headphone amp?
post #3 of 25

Who is selling the HD 600's for a good price right now?

post #4 of 25
Thread Starter 
I'm running fillo x3 with a fillo e12
I'm in the UK the hd600 are and in one of the local papers.
post #5 of 25
E12 will be fine driving the HD 600.

So long as you are happy with them having no isolation then I say go for it!
post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Also I will using them with my X5 in the next few days:o
post #7 of 25

If you're using the HD 600s on a mobile device like a smartphone or tablet, you might want an amp. But you won't need it for a PC despite its high impedance unless the source is really weak.

post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Not to bothered about sound leaking I'm used to that with my SR80's
Thank you for the advise.
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post
 

If you're using the HD 600s on a mobile device like a smartphone or tablet, you might want an amp. But you won't need it for a PC despite its high impedance unless the source is really weak.

 

You'll need an amp to get the most out of it. I can good volume driving 400 ohms on my laptop, but not particularly good sound (even using a DAC).

post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

You'll need an amp to get the most out of it. I can good volume driving 400 ohms on my laptop, but not particularly good sound (even using a DAC).


Nope. The Sennheiser HD 600s are very sensitive. High impedance doesn't necessarily mean that the headphones need an amp to drive. I have a friend who owns the Sennheiser HD 600s and in his desktop, he reports no dip in sound quality between the presence of an amp or not.

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post
 


Nope. The Sennheiser HD 600s are very sensitive. High impedance doesn't necessarily mean that the headphones need an amp to drive. I have a friend who owns the Sennheiser HD 600s and in his desktop, he reports no dip in sound quality between the presence of an amp or not.

 

Sorry for the confusion: I didn't mean to imply that impedance was the issue. I've tried HD600 with my laptop and a few amps over the years--yes, it's a big difference. You get plenty of volume but lose detail, soundstage, and body. I can't account for his experience.

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

Sorry for the confusion: I didn't mean to imply that impedance was the issue. I've tried HD600 with my laptop and a few amps over the years--yes, it's a big difference. You get plenty of volume but lose detail, soundstage, and body. I can't account for his experience.


Well, on the other hand, you're using it with a laptop. He's using it with a fairly high-end desktop motherboard. They're not something that could be powered by a mobile device, necessarily. But a desktop motherboard? Sure, it'll work. But probably not in your situation. I know that some headphones are exactly how you describe, but I haven't found the Sennheiser HD 600s to be that way. But it never hurts to have an amp if you're dealing with high-end headphones.

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post
 

Well, on the other hand, you're using it with a laptop. He's using it with a fairly high-end desktop motherboard. They're not something that could be powered by a mobile device, necessarily. But a desktop motherboard? Sure, it'll work. But probably not in your situation. I know that some headphones are exactly how you describe, but I haven't found the Sennheiser HD 600s to be that way. But it never hurts to have an amp if you're dealing with high-end headphones.

 

You might be right, but I'd have to try it myself to believe it.

post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post


Well, on the other hand, you're using it with a laptop. He's using it with a fairly high-end desktop motherboard. But a desktop motherboard? Sure, it'll work.

And yet a budget external soundcard like the Xonar DG--which is probably better than many motherboards have for audio--would not be a good choice to handle the impedance of the HD600s, which peaks at over 500 ohms. That we know. The implementation of audio is too unpredictable across makes/models/motherboards/hardware configurations to say that because the HD600 worked on your friend's computer, it will work well on any desktop computer. That's like saying if an IEM will work on one smart phone model, it will work well on any of them.
post #15 of 25

hd600 + tubes  :P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home