Finished my second DiY project. Taobao drivers into the Pickering OA-7 shell + my custom cable. I call it the Bucket-Rin OA-7. I'm not sure if this is supposed to go here or the DiY discussions forum and I posted it in both places so if a mod sees this and it turns out that it is in the wrong place, feel free to delete it.Deconstruction of the shell. (Click to show)
Pads glued on.
Ripped them off! Disintegrating foam pads, yay!
Also, nasty old glue covering everything.
The baffles are supposed to twist off but they're glued together so I had to pry them out.
Driver glued on too.
Typical flat driver used in many a vintage headphone released from the baffle.
Taped them just in case.
Used glue solvent to clean the pads and baffles.
Construction. (Click to show)
Cut out the metal part in the middle of the baffles. How? Well...
I cut along the circles right to the edge.
Cut out and separated each section and bent it back and forth until it snapped off.
There's a small raised circle in the middle of the housings.
Got some sandpaper and sanded it off completely.
Stuck a donut of dynamat over a protective layer of metal mesh on top of the baffle.
The cable that will be used for these headphones, braided and put together myself.
Pair of Taobao drivers, bought for RMB128 or US$20.60.
Aligned them on top of the metal mesh on the underside of the baffles.
Threaded the cables through the holes in the cups, hot-glued the drivers on to the baffles, soldered the cable ends on and used the existing cable holders to hold the wires in place.
Stuck a ring of dynamat onto the back of the cups to help control cup resonance that I heard when I tested them out.
Twisted the baffles back onto the cups.
The completed Bucket-Rin OA-7! Now I just need a pair of nice pads to complete the thing.
Edited by BucketInABucket - 4/17/14 at 4:18am