or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Is this a good deal ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this a good deal ?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Looking at one of these two and desperately need advise. Haven't had a computer In a whole year, will be using for gaming and entertainment, as well as work

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/sys/4401679242.html

Or this

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/features.jsp?skuId=3026586&type=moreInfo&product=hardGoodPrd%3A1219086172072&id=1219086172072

Please all, I need your help!
post #2 of 20
Thread Starter 
I know it's a sin to say this on here, but I'm not worried about how that sound, will be using my Astro headset with it
post #3 of 20

the desktop is definitely faster. I wouldn't consider buying a used laptop.

post #4 of 20

I agree with the above, you have no idea how the macbook has been used.  It may have been left on for long periods and have battery issues.  A pc is far more cost efficient long term and you will get warranty and after sales support, if you are not very tech friendly.  

post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the advise all, I ended up splurging and getting this....not sure how it fairs for $$$/ equipment value, but it looks beastly

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FE23H3G?pc_redir=1397367202&robot_redir=1
post #6 of 20
In the future, take a question like this over to a site like The Tech Report (linked because I frequent this site). The forum regulars are used to handling questions like this, and you might (might) get quicker responses.
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by IaHawkeye View Post

Thanks for the advise all, I ended up splurging and getting this....not sure how it fairs for $$$/ equipment value, but it looks beastly

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FE23H3G?pc_redir=1397367202&robot_redir=1


That's incredibly overpriced and has some silly choices, but enjoy.

post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken2109 View Post


That's incredibly overpriced and has some silly choices, but enjoy.

What are the silly choices you are referring to?

I did a quick rough estimate of the (guessing here) parts and found it to be around $1900-2000 or so, which means a mark up of $300 or so to not have worry about messing anything up or building it myself, which is fine by me considering the 1 year warranty + lifetime free service calls, but I would love to hear you expand on why you think this please, I'm somewhat of a computer novice
post #9 of 20
The actual guts of that machine are outside the "sweet spot" of performance/dollar. That's not to say that it isn't good hardware.

And don't sweat Cyberpower. Their prices are usually close to Newegg, build-it-yourself prices.

EDIT: I would say the sweet spot for PC hardware is approximately an i5 CPU paired with a GTX 760. Anything higher than that will increase the cost more than it will increase performance.
Edited by superjawes - 4/16/14 at 6:44am
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Yo
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjawes View Post

The actual guts of that machine are outside the "sweet spot" of performance/dollar. That's not to say that it isn't good hardware.

And don't sweat Cyberpower. Their prices are usually close to Newegg, build-it-yourself prices.

EDIT: I would say the sweet spot for PC hardware is approximately an i5 CPU paired with a GTX 760. Anything higher than that will increase the cost more than it will increase performance.
you good sir just greatly eased my mind about the price! Everyone kept telling me power PC price gouges and does bad work building , so I was getting worried.

As to the choices of hardware, thank you for your opinion, and I agree with it, I could have bought a $1,000 desktop that can play anything on high, but I wanted something that will be future proof and not need any upgrades for the next 5-6 years, and I m not sure, but I think this rig can do that?
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by IaHawkeye View Post

Yo
you good sir just greatly eased my mind about the price! Everyone kept telling me power PC price gouges and does bad work building , so I was getting worried.

As to the choices of hardware, thank you for your opinion, and I agree with it, I could have bought a $1,000 desktop that can play anything on high, but I wanted something that will be future proof and not need any upgrades for the next 5-6 years, and I m not sure, but I think this rig can do that?
Long-term viability is probably going to be determined by games more than your hardware. I will say that CPUs haven't seen a whole lot of advancement in the past several years except for power usage (partly because AMD hasn't been competative in the desktop market since Intel launched the i5's). At any rate, I doubt there will be many games that stress your CPU in the next several years.

And that's really good news because GPUs are easier to upgrade. If developers really step up their game, making your 780 feel slow, you could easily sell it to someone and upgrade to something with fresh silicon.

Most PC builders just find it easy to upgrade every couple years as needed.

EDIT: Again, I recommend taking a trip to The Tech Report. The forum regulars are very helpful if you are choosing components, and Scott (the Editor-in-Chief) does some really great work in reviewing computer hardware. Cyril and Geoff are good, too. They just tend to post the daily news articles and review the other PC parts.
Edited by superjawes - 4/16/14 at 7:12am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by IaHawkeye View Post


What are the silly choices you are referring to?

I did a quick rough estimate of the (guessing here) parts and found it to be around $1900-2000 or so, which means a mark up of $300 or so to not have worry about messing anything up or building it myself, which is fine by me considering the 1 year warranty + lifetime free service calls, but I would love to hear you expand on why you think this please, I'm somewhat of a computer novice

Don't get me wrong, the hardware is good, but it isn't what I personally would have chosen. Don't let this stop you from enjoying it though!

 

The CPU is incredibly expensive, and while no doubt a great CPU, it is unlikely to provide a large enough increase in performance (in games) to justify the price.

Because the motherboard has to be a certain socket for that CPU, it will also be far more expensive than the motherboards available for, say, an i5 4670k.

The fact that it's made by cyberpower and they haven't stated brands for parts. They haven't even mentioned the power supply, which immediately makes me think they've cut corners here. They also claim liquid cooling but offer no details on what they've used.

I personally think the case is hideous.

post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Here is a customer review from best but that goes into more details of what's inside. Apparently, if this review is correct, the power supply and mother board are very good. It's my understanding that the RAM is junk though, so I'll probably replace with Ripkaw ram almost immediately.

And I did check out that site that you recommended, but it seems kind of dead over there
What's great about it: Fast and upgradeable for the future.
What's not so great: None so far.
Amazing computer that I got to replace my 5 year old gaming rig. I was going to build a gaming pc for battlefield 4 when I came upon this desktop. For what I was going to spend on a pc, I got this and probably saved a few bucks and a couple of hours of pc building. It has the amazing i7-4930k processor which will be enough to keep you up to date for a few years. It has the GTX 780 graphics card which will allow you to play virtually any game in ultra settings. On battlefield 4 I get around 120-130 fps on ultra settings. The MSI motherboard is amazing with plenty of space. Has the ability to add another graphics card in SLI if wanted (doable with the 850W PSU)...and not to mention you can put up to 128 GB of ram which is insane. The SSD is fairly fast and windows 8.1 is loaded onto which allows the PC to boot up in a few seconds. Of course it comes with liquid cooling if you want to overclock your processor and with MSI's software overclocking is extremely easy. The touch screen LCD screen to control the fan speed is a nice addition and looks very appealing, specially at night. This desktop also has 7.1 surround audio, so for those that have 7.1 headset like the Razer Tiamat 7.1...this is great and the sound is amazing. Overall this is probably one of the best gaming desktop bestbuy has to offer. It's fast, powerful, and has plenty of space to upgrade in the future as more powerful hardware comes out.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by IaHawkeye View Post

Here is a customer review from best but that goes into more details of what's inside. Apparently, if this review is correct, the power supply and mother board are very good. It's my understanding that the RAM is junk though, so I'll probably replace with Ripkaw ram almost immediately.

And I did check out that site that you recommended, but it seems kind of dead over there
What's great about it: Fast and upgradeable for the future.
What's not so great: None so far.
Amazing computer that I got to replace my 5 year old gaming rig. I was going to build a gaming pc for battlefield 4 when I came upon this desktop. For what I was going to spend on a pc, I got this and probably saved a few bucks and a couple of hours of pc building. It has the amazing i7-4930k processor which will be enough to keep you up to date for a few years. It has the GTX 780 graphics card which will allow you to play virtually any game in ultra settings. On battlefield 4 I get around 120-130 fps on ultra settings. The MSI motherboard is amazing with plenty of space. Has the ability to add another graphics card in SLI if wanted (doable with the 850W PSU)...and not to mention you can put up to 128 GB of ram which is insane. The SSD is fairly fast and windows 8.1 is loaded onto which allows the PC to boot up in a few seconds. Of course it comes with liquid cooling if you want to overclock your processor and with MSI's software overclocking is extremely easy. The touch screen LCD screen to control the fan speed is a nice addition and looks very appealing, specially at night. This desktop also has 7.1 surround audio, so for those that have 7.1 headset like the Razer Tiamat 7.1...this is great and the sound is amazing. Overall this is probably one of the best gaming desktop bestbuy has to offer. It's fast, powerful, and has plenty of space to upgrade in the future as more powerful hardware comes out.

That review doesn't say what the motherboard or power supply are, only that the motherboard is made by MSI (but generally motherboards on that socket are good so I wasn't worried about motherboard quality) and that the power supply is rated at 850w which means very little. Nowhere does it say anything about the SSD other than size, or what the water cooling actually is.

I'm sure it's a decent PC, but personally I'd like to actually know what I was getting before spending $2000.


Edited by kraken2109 - 4/16/14 at 3:01pm
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
You make good points. I'm sure they use cheap components to try and save on cost...I'm going to try and contact them and find out the answer to these questions, thank you so much!

Is it easy to upgrade a power supply?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Is this a good deal ?