Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Logitech UE 9000 vs AKG K845BT
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Logitech UE 9000 vs AKG K845BT

post #1 of 71
Thread Starter 

Good morning all!

 

New to the forums, and wanted to introduce myeslf real quick.  My name is Rick and I'm an average listener of all types of music.  I was into car audio earlier and have now sinced moved to the city 5 years ago and no longer have a car.  So now I own a pair of Senns IE 8's and old pair of Grado's which I both love.  I've sort of been giving myself a break for about a year now since my commute has changed a little.  But now am getting back into the swing of things and looking to purchase a solid good "fun" pair of over-the-ears BT wireless headphones to work seemlessly with my iPhone 5.  I do have a general knowledge of audio terms, but nothing too advanced by any means.

 

So here I go, I've been doing some research on some BT wireless headphones and have boiled it down to the Logitech UE 9000 vs the AKG K845BT.  Purely for music only; I listen mostly to heavy rock, but can range to any type of music. Strong mids, a little bit of a bass head (been slowly trying to wean myself from not being so bass hungry) and clear/precise soundstage is what I'm looking for. I have an avergae sized head and ears if that helps. Mainly for commute a few hours a day, but may end up being used a little longer on some days. I've become used to my IE 8's and don't really want anything subpar if that's possible.  But I figure there would be some sacrifices with a different type of headphones which I may be willing to accept depdning on the circumstances.

 

Rick

post #2 of 71
Thread Starter 

So it looks like I am leaning more towards the AKG soley on the following: they've been in the audio business for a while, specialize in microphones and headphones, seems a bit lighter than the UE 9000's and seems to have a slightly better SQ than the UE 9000's.  My only gripe really is that they don't come with a case.

 

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

 

Rick

post #3 of 71
The UE9000 may suit you better. It's signature is closer to that of the IE80 and is a funner sound.
post #4 of 71
Thread Starter 

Oh yeah?  Funny I was just reading the reviews on the UE9000's  Should I be concerned that they are discontinued or wait for a new updated version?  The hiss concerens me a little bit, but slim to none chance that I will be listening to music that fills the voids.

post #5 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post
 

Oh yeah?  Funny I was just reading the reviews on the UE9000's  Should I be concerned that they are discontinued or wait for a new updated version?  The hiss concerens me a little bit, but slim to none chance that I will be listening to music that fills the voids.

 

I didn't get much hiss with them (unless you're in noise canceling mode, you might get hiss).  I don't see UE updating them, rather possibly re-releasing them.  The only thing I'd do is email Logitech support asking about warranty info about the UE9000, if you were to buy it would it be possible to replace them through warranty seeing as they aren't listed on the site any longer. 

post #6 of 71
Thread Starter 

That's a good point about warranty.  Well I plan on using them mostly wirelessly and from what I've heard the noise cancellation is always on in that case.

post #7 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post

That's a good point about warranty.  Well I plan on using them mostly wirelessly and from what I've heard the noise cancellation is always on in that case.

It is not always on. Two different switches.
post #8 of 71

Last I heard the UE9000's had awesome wireless performance (I own the UE6000s and theyre a good set of closed dynamics) , not sure how the AKGs are. Passive mode sounds good, and active gives you a fun sound with good bass. Not as tight or crisp as my HE400s, but the texture is nice and has more punch. 

 

They also have a bit of a U curve in NC mode, but flatter in passive - so you can kinda have 2 sets of EQ with a toggle of a switch.  And passive works without a battery which is nice. 

 

I think the UE6000 and UE9000 share the same pleather earpads, which is pretty comfortable imo - the clamp is a bit tight at first but it does loosen up.  I can wear them for hours and they dont get too hot. 

 

Although they do get warmer compared to open backs obviously. 

post #9 of 71
Thread Starter 

Thanks, this is good to know.  That was another concern of mine is comfort since most of have stated about its heaviness but I don't plan on wearing them for no more than 2 hours a time.  I'm still trying to find out about the warranty on those UE9000 since they are no longer produced.  Now I'm l'm leaning towards the UE 9000's. I really do want to have fun with these headphones.

post #10 of 71

I _think_ you can audition UE6000/9000 at Apple Stores? I know Futureshop/BestBuy used have them out as of the holiday season. 

 

Tyll from innerfidility.com put them up on his Wall of Fame, but you probably already knew that. 

post #11 of 71
Thread Starter 

Thanks but I tried calling 2 of our local Apple stores and none had them in stock anymore.  I'll try BB though.

post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post
 

Thanks, this is good to know.  That was another concern of mine is comfort since most of have stated about its heaviness but I don't plan on wearing them for no more than 2 hours a time.  I'm still trying to find out about the warranty on those UE9000 since they are no longer produced.  Now I'm l'm leaning towards the UE 9000's. I really do want to have fun with these headphones.

 

The 9000 are quite heavy indeed unfortunately.  It's also a downer as the headband isn't the best designed either :/  You might be able to get 2 hours out of them, it's a tough feat though :p

 

If you can find one on Amazon (sold Amazon direct, IE Amazon, LLC), they do have a 30-day return policy. 

post #13 of 71
Thread Starter 

Thatnks for the input.  I just got off the phone with Logitech and they mentioned the same thing, 30-day return policy on all products, but it would have to be sold from an authorized resller like you said amazon or tigerdirect, but I haven't found any.  Oddly enough he said there's no way to search logitech authorized resller on-line, even he couldn't tell me.

 

The weight does cause somewhat of a concern, but it might just be something I'd have to sacrifice for the SQ I want.

post #14 of 71
Thread Starter 

Ok so I ultimately decided on the AKG k845BT's.  Just arrived today and astounded of how good these sound via BT.  Couple of questions.  Is it good practice to have your iPhone volume at max while using the headphones as the main volume control?  Also, I heard of Apt-X, AAC, etc.  What is it and would using either be advantageous in my case(iPhone 5)?

post #15 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post
 

Ok so I ultimately decided on the AKG k845BT's.  Just arrived today and astounded of how good these sound via BT.  Couple of questions.  Is it good practice to have your iPhone volume at max while using the headphones as the main volume control?  Also, I heard of Apt-X, AAC, etc.  What is it and would using either be advantageous in my case(iPhone 5)?

 

My understanding is that the volume settings don't matter because you are still driving the music with the iPhone's amp. I think volume settings matter if you use an amp.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Logitech UE 9000 vs AKG K845BT