or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best Tube Amp For dt990 pro 250 ohm and he 400
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Tube Amp For dt990 pro 250 ohm and he 400

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

hi guys, as the title suggests what is the best tube amp at around 200-250$ that fits both those headphones. Added bonus would be if it would work well with my trusty q701 too.

 

I have also seen some posts where people are letting their amps warm up for around 30 minutes and i was wondering what would happen if it was left plugged in since morning and turned of at night? Would it burn the tubes? 

 

I have used google but i never found a definite answer to my question so I thought of asking here directly.

Thanks guys 

post #2 of 14

I've owned both the Q701 and HE-400. I used the Little Dot MK3 with them, which was great overall, especially with the Q701. However, it clipped a bit with the HE-400 at high volumes on a few songs. 

I haven't heard the Schiit Vali, but there are plenty of people that use it with both the Q701 and HE-400. 

As for burning the tubes, I suppose it depends on the tube amp. I think any well-built tube amp should be fine if you leave it on. The tubes will get really hot, but they won't be damaged. I left my Little Dot on overnight a few times and it was fine. 

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 

Yeah my main contenders were the vali and the aune t1 (although not a tube amp) but i dont know about any other tube amps that are around the 200$ range 

post #4 of 14

Little Dot has a few amps in that range. The 1+ and the MK2.

post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDewil View Post
 

hi guys, as the title suggests what is the best tube amp at around 200-250$ that fits both those headphones. Added bonus would be if it would work well with my trusty q701 too.

I have also seen some posts where people are letting their amps warm up for around 30 minutes and i was wondering what would happen if it was left plugged in since morning and turned of at night? Would it burn the tubes? 

I have used Google but i never found a definite answer to my question so I thought of asking here directly.

Thanks guys 

 

My DT990 does not seem very picky about working with any of my amplifiers.

You might consider asking on this thread about what works well with the HE-400.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

My DT990 does not seem very picky about working with any of my amplifiers.

You might consider asking on this thread about what works well with the HE-400.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread


Yeah, I forgot to mention that I had the DT-990 too. Same three headphones as you. The DT-990 is pretty easy to drive. 

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 

I was looking at the mk2 as well but some people mentioned some problems when using with the he400. Can you elaborate on it please?

post #8 of 14
I've never used the mk2. I owned a mk3 though, and it would distort at high volume with the HE-400. I don't think it has enough power, though it's a bit of a mystery to me because it should have enough on paper.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 

Ok well i guess i will get the mk3 because i dont let the volumes get too high because im already like half deaf. How much did you pay for yours and what other places can i buy it from?

post #10 of 14

I got mine from the the Little Dot website: http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=815&sid=56d8ac9ba7d8af3263db4eb02152ea60
 

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 

do i just shoot him a message or how does it work?

post #12 of 14

You send the owner, David, an email at little.tube@gmail.com and he sends you a Paypal invoice. He's a nice guy to deal with. 

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post

You send the owner, David, an email at little.tube@gmail.com and he sends you a Paypal invoice. He's a nice guy to deal with. 

I agree. I used to own a Little Dot I+, and David was great to deal with.
post #14 of 14

Agreed with the Little Dots, I'm using an MKII with my 990s. Good Combo. I don't bother warming up the tubes for more than a minute. I can't hear a difference after that point.


Edited by pulchritudejim - 4/16/14 at 8:04pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best Tube Amp For dt990 pro 250 ohm and he 400