or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . . - Page 93

post #1381 of 3032

Ok, so I was talking about dynamic imaging, I just noticed that TF10 has that dynamic imaging also.  My CK10 doesn't have it. I think possibly it's related to how many crossovers there are?  NT6 is 4 way, and it has dynamic imaging also. I think certain DAPs really push dynamic imaging, and creates a more of a dimensional sound experience.  TF10 is not clear sounding, but this dimensional imaging is there. DX100 pushes that.  To me this dynamic imaging is like how movies sound like, kinda spacy?  So this creates  better spacial sound for live recordings thus makes it sound realistic stage.  

 

Now I get what people mean when they say CIEMs sound 3D, I've read people referring to JH CIEMs in that manner. 1964 Ears came up with a series called "stage", so 1964-V6S for stage.  I wondering if this is this dynamic imaging with adding more cross over points?


Edited by SilverEars - 6/11/14 at 10:28pm
post #1382 of 3032

What is "dynamic imaging"?    I know dynamics, I know imaging and i am at a loss to understand what this conjoint is.

post #1383 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

What is "dynamic imaging"?    I know dynamics, I know imaging and i am at a loss to understand what this conjoint is.

I call it dynamic imaging, and can't think of other way to put it.  I hear part of sounds that are separated out, with some more forward and some behind.  I've noticed this with SE846 when I had them, and I said it sounds like there are more levels to the sound than 535 where it seems like one layer, and the same for TG334, it sounded like sound came only from one layer.  So dynamically, some more forward than others, there is an imaging since there are levels.  It's like I hear stage sound on one layer, then the recorded hiss on another, and then vocals, they sound separated out.  I have the PFE112 and my DX100 reveals that it's in one level of space and doesn't scale up, compared to TF10 with it's dynamic imaging becomes apparent like the NT6, but the clarity is not there as it doesn't sound as controlled.  For electronica, it's really apparent as there are many different types of electronic sounds going on, and you feel like you hear them separately.  I guess people say 3D because of the differing sound levels on the space, makes it seem they are separated.  It's like this, notice the outlines around the figures?  Visually, it sounds like that.  It sounds clearly layered.

 


Edited by SilverEars - 6/11/14 at 10:42pm
post #1384 of 3032

Thanks for the explanation.    What you are describing appears to be "layering", although i could be wrong.    

post #1385 of 3032
Thread Starter 
Can we stay with reviews of the DX90 please.
post #1386 of 3032

Seems to me that you think U shaped responses like the TF10 and to a lesser degree the NT6 are correct and more linear ones like the pfe112 or ck10 less interesting. Also, TF10 ans CK10 are both 2 ways. I hope you're at least using the gray filter in the pfe. It's very difficult to follow along with your descriptions. I'm really trying to make sense of them but you prefer devices with a somewhat U shaped character like the TF10 and X5 while calling more linear ones like the DX90 and CK10 V shaped or less exciting. No problem with liking what you like but the more you explain it, the less I understand what your getting at. There just seems to be a disconnect with what your hearing vs most of us. I can understand someone not liking a DX90 just like any other product on the market but calling it V shaped in its character is just odd.


Edited by goodvibes - 6/11/14 at 11:58pm
post #1387 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

Seems to me that you think U shaped responses like the TF10 and to a lesser degree the NT6 are correct and more linear ones like the pfe112 or ck10 less interesting. Also, TF10 ans CK10 are both 2 ways. I hope you're at least using the gray filter in the pfe. It's very difficult to follow along with your descriptions. I'm really trying to make sense of them but you prefer devices with a somewhat U shaped character like the TF10 and X5 while calling more linear ones like the DX90 and CK10 V shaped or less exciting. No problem with liking what you like but the more you explain it, the less I understand what your getting at. There just seems to be a disconnect with what your hearing vs most of us. I can understand someone not liking a DX90 just like any other product on the market but calling it V shaped in its character is just odd.

I didn't say any of that.  :o Except DX90 sounding U shaped, lacking details compared to X5 and DX100, and NT6 being linear.


Edited by SilverEars - 6/12/14 at 12:03am
post #1388 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post

I didn't say any of that.  " src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/redface.gif"> Except DX90 sounding U shaped, lacking details compared to X5 and DX100, and NT6 being linear.

 



So you keep saying "linear". Could you explain what exactly you consider linear for a phone? Like goodvibes, I also find it difficult to follow your impressions.

I remember you mentioned DX90 has too much bass on NT-6 and neutral on X5. I suppose neutral is linear? Is that right?
post #1389 of 3032
Guys, in particular SilverEars, goodvibes, jamato8 and headwhacker, maybe the issue with SilverEars' different sound impressions results from the volume level? It's just my quess. Today I noticed that the increase of the volume on dx90 by, for example, 4 steps results in more forward, aggressive, dynamic, detailed and spacious sound. So, maybe dx90's sound is different up to certain volume level and different from certain volume level (what is normal for me) and we all are listening at diferent volume levels. Of course we have different phones and this definitely impacts the volume levels at which we are listening to dx90, but...my normal listening level with my CIEMs is 171 at high gain which produces SPL of 61.5 dB for 1 kHz test tone and as I said today I have increased the volume level up to 175 (which I guess, although I did not measure this yet, gives around 63.5 dB of SPL for 1 kHz test tone) and the sound of my dx90 changed to more spacious and dynamic one - I like dx90, but it sometimes lacks a tad of aggressivness and spaciousness.

Conclusion/guess: maybe SilverEars listens to dx90 at lower SPL level and thus pereceives dx90's sound differently?

I don't whether I'm correct but I think that Barra wrote something more or less similar (he wrote in one of his posts that he need to increase the volume of dx90 to very high levels to obtain similar initimate etc. sound as he have from his X5).
Edited by shakur1996 - 6/12/14 at 1:35am
post #1390 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post

I totally agree, we all want to find what sounds best to ourselves, to me I find the Dita Answer pair very well with the DX90 LO>Pico Power, it provides great bass extension, not overpowering either, and very good detail retrieval.  It is a very natural sound IMO. Right now it is my favourite portable setup.
I haven't heard the TG334 or the NT-6.  Maybe I'll try the NT6 someday,  I can't now though as I have spent too much on head-fi these past 2-3 weeks; Dita Answers, Heaven VI, JVC FX-850, Vorzuge Pure ii, DX90, and X5 about 2 weeks before the DX90:rolleyes: .   I have to stop sometime... Or start selling some of the things I no longer use.  

Hi dave! Can you give me your thoughts on the pure II + dx90 combo.. Planning to get a pure II for specially for my ciem + my full size HP.. Does it, give more power and retain the dx90s SQ?
post #1391 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppu08 View Post

Hi dave! Can you give me your thoughts on the pure II + dx90 combo.. Planning to get a pure II for specially for my ciem + my full size HP.. Does it, give more power and retain the dx90s SQ?

I don't have the Pure ii yet. It is supposed to be delivered today though, so hopefully nothing goes wrong smile.gif If it does come in today I should be able to let you know tomorrow or possibly tonight, but it won't be broken in yet though. I'll compare it to the Pico Power, which I really like:)
post #1392 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post
 

I totally agree, we all want to find what sounds best to ourselves, to me I find the Dita Answer pair very well with the DX90 LO>Pico Power, it provides great bass extension, not overpowering either, and very good detail retrieval.  It is a very natural sound IMO. Right now it is my favourite portable setup.

I haven't heard the TG334 or the NT-6.  Maybe I'll try the NT6 someday,  I can't now though as I have spent too much on head-fi these past 2-3 weeks; Dita Answers, Heaven VI, JVC FX-850, Vorzuge Pure ii, DX90, and X5 about 2 weeks before the DX90:rolleyes:.   I have to stop sometime... Or start selling some of the things I no longer use.  

And you're right, everyone has a different goal in mind for their gear, mine even changes depending on the mood I'm in or if I'm feeling fatigued. 

I love the Answer with the DX90, they are an awesome pairing. I've been using the LO>Pico Power> Answer (non Truth).   I find the Answers pair better with the DX90 than they do with the Concero HP, as with the HP the bass seems a little over powering sometimes and it seems like there is a slight mid bass hump.

There are problems I find with some portable players and amps.  One is that simple portable players such as an iphone, it lacks the amping power to push the phones to the dynamic imaging that the phones can output, if the phone is capable of dynamism, and also lack bass push if the track requires it.  You can actually hear more control with better amping as it sounds more controlled, and the perceived sound stage could be lacking.  What I found lacking with portable amps I have tried was bass definition, they didn't sound very believable sonically, so I didn't think they improved all that much over stock sound.  I will be getting pure ii also, and hoping that it will change the sound for the better.  I have a good feeling X5's LO will benefit, we'll see.  As for the DX90, I've seen the diagram with the amp section, but not sure why LO has volume control.  It seems that ES9018 has digital volume control, and I don't know how it affects the LO.  I have never tried any Pico products and I am curious.  From my experience, I think high voltage swing ability or high voltage source probably helps.  


Edited by SilverEars - 6/12/14 at 5:46am
post #1393 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post

I don't have the Pure ii yet. It is supposed to be delivered today though, so hopefully nothing goes wrong smile.gif If it does come in today I should be able to let you know tomorrow or possibly tonight, but it won't be broken in yet though. I'll compare it to the Pico Power, which I really like:)

Ok thanks man! Will wait for your impressions on this.
post #1394 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

I'll suggest perhaps an AK100?  I have one and it is avery clean, well-designd unit.    I'm hesitant to recommend the UI Disaster that is the X5, but that could also be something to consider.

 

As I said, A&K's are too expensive for my budget, i need to stay in the "400 euro" range.

Yes, i know, the X5 UI is worse than the DX90 UI, but for me SQ is the most important factor, so...

post #1395 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkforfood View Post

As I said, A&K's are too expensive for my budget, i need to stay in the "400 euro" range.
Yes, i know, the X5 UI is worse than the DX90 UI, but for me SQ is the most important factor, so...

For someone who probably never seen the X5 in real life, I am not talking about you but someone else. I have the player and in many counts it feels better than the DX90, usage wise. It plainly works and the SQ is pretty good, might I add the DAC function works flawlessly on both computer environments; PC and Mac. If you want to just listen to the music and enjoy that's the player to get, some might find it too boring, not as functionally challenged as the the DX90 and maybe you don't like a player that has its SQ that does not change with the release. Don't get me wrong, the DX90 sound wise is a marvelous player but between the two I tend to lean towards the X5.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .