or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . . - Page 10

post #136 of 3032

I am going to say much more later once I have had a chance to let the player burn in however, the very first impression, It's like you were wearing out of focus glasses and then all of a sudden those spectacles are on right on focus, a perfect 20/20. Extended bass like I never heard before, background is completely dark like an empty canvas, the vocals are crisp and clear like the singer is close to you, I can even hear her grasping for air before belching the next note (like I am looking at her vocal chords while she does). This kind of resolution is just unbelievable. That's going to be hard to beat, it's truly an improvement. I do like the DX50 when amped though, for some reason my combo has started opening up last week ad I have enjoyed the combination with all of my headphones and iems ever since. I find the DX90 to be somewhat more neutral (compared to DX50 and not to other players), the DX50 is more musical, I love its signature, they both offer a different aspect of musical imagery. Like Jamato mentioned above, they both have their own personality and are truly enjoyable.


Edited by musicheaven - 4/17/14 at 5:24pm
post #137 of 3032

I'll post more about the sound when I have time and it's run in but it's just great. Everything in it's right place and informative. UI is perhaps a bit less responsive than expected but a non-issue for me. Nice size and intuitive to use. Keeper :smile:. Personally, I clearly prefer it to the X5 i heard.


Edited by goodvibes - 4/18/14 at 12:41am
post #138 of 3032

Mine is burning in as I write this...! :popcorn:

Cheers!:beerchug:

-HK sends

post #139 of 3032

According to iBasso the DX90 should be burned in for 400 hours, which is very long! that's like half a month of continuous playback. 

post #140 of 3032

400 hours... seriously? >.>. I guess it'll give incentive for people to buy "used" dx90s over buying new. 

post #141 of 3032
I just tried to throw some 320kb aac files (I have over 1500 cd's ripped in that format over the last 10 years or so) at the DX90 and they never sounded so good :-)
post #142 of 3032
I'm listening to Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue with my JH13s and the sound quality is stunning!
post #143 of 3032

I can listen to Patricia Barber on a SanDisk and she sounds great! Enjoy.........

post #144 of 3032
She also sounds great on my iPod Touch wink.gif

But joke apart, this player is a big step above all the other music players that I have heard so far.
Edited by YtseJamer - 4/17/14 at 8:59pm
post #145 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post

I am going to say much more later once I have had a chance to let the player burn in however, the very first impression, It's like you were wearing out of focus glasses and then all of a sudden those spectacles are on right on focus, a perfect 20/20. Extended bass like I never heard before, background is completely dark like an empty canvas, the vocals are crisp and clear like the singer is close to you, I can even hear her grasping for air before belching the next note (like I am looking at her vocal chords while she does). This kind of resolution is just unbelievable. That's going to be hard to beat, it's truly an improvement. I do like the DX50 when amped though, for some reason my combo has started opening up last week ad I have enjoyed the combination with all of my headphones and iems ever since. I find the DX90 to be somewhat more neutral (compared to DX50 and not to other players), the DX50 is more musical, I love its signature, they both offer a different aspect of musical imagery. Like Jamato mentioned above, they both have their own personality and are truly enjoyable.

Hmm - this makes me ponder. I am not sure I would put detail/imagery above musicality. If I were to buy the dx90 I wouldn't keep the dX50.

NP - TPsychoanorexia through my very musical dx50
post #146 of 3032

Hi M-13!

Eager for more details about dx90 with Focal Spirit Pro... Like separation, layering, details and especially bass: as I remember it was written that the FS Pro bass is flatter or lighter than FS Classic. Is it kick hard enough when music call for it?

Cheers!


Edited by gnidrolog - 4/18/14 at 12:13am
post #147 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfell View Post


I really enjoy the DX50 into my PB2 and Leckerton. Especially with the PB2, it sounds amazing now with the Muses01 OPamps. I am not going to be selling my Amps.

I am becoming very tempted to jump for the Dx90. The reviews are obviously very positive.

So my question is : leaving aside the Amp of the DX90 which I won't be using, is the DAC of the DX90 worth the upgrade from the DX50? How much better is it really?

The DX50/PB2 stack is very good, but replacing the DX50 with the DX90 takes the PB2 to another level. The DAC(s) in the DX90 are clearly superior to the one in the DX50. Not that the 50 is bad by any means, the 90 is just better. Everything is so crisp and clear!

post #148 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

The DX50/PB2 stack is very good, but replacing the DX50 with the DX90 takes the PB2 to another level. The DAC(s) in the DX90 are clearly superior to the one in the DX50. Not that the 50 is bad by any means, the 90 is just better. Everything is so crisp and clear!

I agree I checked their papers and presentation, I can tell you that everything those guys have done with HyperStream is just pure genius and typical of an optimizing research shop with an open mind. It's outstanding that they came up so quick with an improved Sigma-Delta dac with so much refinements. Now you understand my excitement about some Sabre dac players. We just needed to make sure they properly implemented it. beerchug.gif
post #149 of 3032

musicheaven, if you have "The Changing Lights" by Stacey Kent, have a listen on the DX90. If you don't have it, I'd recommend it. Beautiful album.

 

With the DX90, Stacey's voice shines through so well, absolutely unforced and gentle. Dreamy stuff:-)

post #150 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfell View Post

Hmm - this makes me ponder. I am not sure I would put detail/imagery above musicality. If I were to buy the dx90 I wouldn't keep the dX50.

NP - TPsychoanorexia through my very musical dx50

There is something to say about detail/imagery versus musicality. It's like watching a movie with standard stereo sound and then you engage Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 channels surround sound, you tell yourself wow now I am in the movie instead of watching the movie. But then once in a while you like watching this old movie, taking a back seat with simple stereo sound bringing melancholic feelings of a gone era. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by depaor View Post

musicheaven, if you have "The Changing Lights" by Stacey Kent, have a listen on the DX90. If you don't have it, I'd recommend it. Beautiful album.

With the DX90, Stacey's voice shines through so well, absolutely unforced and gentle. Dreamy stuff:-)

Thanks sure will check it out! beerchug.gif
Edited by musicheaven - 4/18/14 at 3:31am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .