or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . . - Page 77

post #1141 of 3032
Both from recovery menu and the settings menu.
post #1142 of 3032
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post

Both from recovery menu and the settings menu.

I don't understand it. My songs play to the end, I even watch the seconds count down sometimes and listen and some songs end and they play all the way and then blend in silence, normally unless live recordings, to the next song. I use ALAC, Flac and WAV and some DSD. 

post #1143 of 3032

Got my DX90 a couple of days ago. Packaging ripped open by customs, they took out the battery and taped it into the cardboard box, which I threw out... After realizing the battery was missing I double checked, and there it was inbetween a double wall of cardboard with a massive amount of the brown packing tape. Nice. So much for the out of box experience. But all that aside, I upgraded from my 5th gen iMod with the iBasso D12 (Anaconda) to the DX50, which was only a slight step up, if any. So I took the plunge and got the DX90... Fabulous! Plugged in my SD card without issues (all ALAC). Usability is improved (much more responsive), and the sound is just earwatering. Compared to the DX50 it has more luscious deeps, a far better mid range and much smoother highs. Separation is also better. To my surprise it sounds warmer than the DX50, I expected the opposite (given the Wolfson vs Sabres). The DX90 definitely tames my Grado SRS325i (highs are less sharp), and brings out the best in my Westone 4R. Only gripe i have is that the soundstage is narrower than the DX50. Can't have it all, but I am really impressed with it. Bye bye iMod and DX50!


Edited by DoubleDutch - 5/29/14 at 10:24pm
post #1144 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

I don't understand it. My songs play to the end, I even watch the seconds count down sometimes and listen and some songs end and they play all the way and then blend in silence, normally unless live recordings, to the next song. I use ALAC, Flac and WAV and some DSD. 

 



I don't understand either. I only have ALAC files, ripped from CD or down-sampled hi-res files using XLD. I even tried both exfat and fat32 128 GB and 64 GB cards. Samsung or Sandisk didn't matter. It's exactly the same on both DX90/DX50. Only Rockbox on DX50 is able to handle my files correctly.
post #1145 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

I don't understand it. My songs play to the end, I even watch the seconds count down sometimes and listen and some songs end and they play all the way and then blend in silence, normally unless live recordings, to the next song. I use ALAC, Flac and WAV and some DSD. 

All my aac and flac (cd an hires) play to the end as well and gapless just works too
post #1146 of 3032

I encounter another "1 second pause/resume" issue today, after doing a factory reset and delete .audio data/library rescan. May try to reformat card to FAT32 if I have time. But more likely I may just wait for the next firmware release.

 

For the record, I did factory reset in FW2.0 before upgrading to FW2.0.5, and have done a few factory resets after firmware upgrades.

post #1147 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
 

Got my DX90 a couple of days ago. Packaging ripped open by customs, they took out the battery and taped it into the cardboard box, which I threw out... After realizing the battery was missing I double checked, and there it was inbetween a double wall of cardboard with a massive amount of the brown packing tape. Nice. So much for the out of box experience. But all that aside, I upgraded from my 5th gen iMod with the iBasso D12 (Anaconda) to the DX50, which was only a slight step up, if any. So I took the plunge and got the DX90... Fabulous! Plugged in my SD card without issues (all ALAC). Usability is improved (much more responsive), and the sound is just earwatering. Compared to the DX50 it has more luscious deeps, a far better mid range and much smoother highs. Separation is also better. To my surprise it sounds warmer than the DX50, I expected the opposite (given the Wolfson vs Sabres). The DX90 definitely tames my Grado SRS325i (highs are less sharp), and brings out the best in my Westone 4R. Only gripe i have is that the soundstage is narrower than the DX50. Can't have it all, but I am really impressed with it. Bye bye iMod and DX50!

Wow, your customs sounds like bastards. They actually devalued your product.

But I'm glad everything remained intact. 

 

I was also quite surprised of the slightly warmer sound the DX90 produces. It's not warm in any way though, it's just not cold like the DX50's sound.

I'm not sure if it's the added opamps, or indeed the dual Sabre dacs, but my god, do my cIEMs suddenly sound good. 

 

My only gripe with this player is the sensitivity of the touch screen. The DX50 definitely seemed to do this a heck of a lot better.

Everytime I scroll through my artists it selects an artist...

post #1148 of 3032

I think it is a little warm but not overtly so. I've mentioned that I'd prefer it leaned out a bit, especially with slow roll engaged. The more sensitive touch screen was part of the last FW upgrade. I prefer it but it may change again if they feel the need.


Edited by goodvibes - 5/30/14 at 5:05am
post #1149 of 3032
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post
 

I encounter another "1 second pause/resume" issue today, after doing a factory reset and delete .audio data/library rescan. May try to reformat card to FAT32 if I have time. But more likely I may just wait for the next firmware release.

 

For the record, I did factory reset in FW2.0 before upgrading to FW2.0.5, and have done a few factory resets after firmware upgrades.

Did you get the pause on both FW's?

post #1150 of 3032

I really want to look into a DX90 but there are no retailers in my entire state that I'm aware of.  Before I gamble on an Amazon purchase I need to know if this thing plays nicely with two sets of IEMs:

 

(1) HiFiMan RE-400 Waterlines (I hear the DX50 pairs very poorly with them)

(2) JVC Victor HA-FTX90s  (The DX50 apparently suffers significant drop-offs in bass response at their 12-ohm rating)

 

As far as I'm concerned, if I can be reasonably well assured that the DX90 won't disappoint me with either pair of IEMs, I'm sold.  Thanks for your input, in advance.

post #1151 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinnenjous View Post
 

I really want to look into a DX90 but there are no retailers in my entire state that I'm aware of.  Before I gamble on an Amazon purchase I need to know if this thing plays nicely with two sets of IEMs:

 

(1) HiFiMan RE-400 Waterlines (I hear the DX50 pairs very poorly with them)

(2) JVC Victor HA-FTX90s  (The DX50 apparently suffers significant drop-offs in bass response at their 12-ohm rating)

 

As far as I'm concerned, if I can be reasonably well assured that the DX90 won't disappoint me with either pair of IEMs, I'm sold.  Thanks for your input, in advance.

I know someone that would completely disagree with that first statement.

 

Also, I'm not sure if the output impedance has changed at all, but there is absolutely no hiss with the DX90 and my cIEMs.

post #1152 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post
 

I know someone that would completely disagree with that first statement.

 

Also, I'm not sure if the output impedance has changed at all, but there is absolutely no hiss with the DX90 and my cIEMs.

Interesting.  I've read one independent review online from a Russian source who said that the RE-400s do not gel with the DX90 and I've seen a couple of people allude to it here.  I wish I had a larger pool of information but I can't ferret out definitive answers to save my life.

 

I glanced at your brand online and it looks like they're all in the 25-35 ohm range.  Supposedly the DX50 starts bleeding dB in the lower end if your headphones are rated at or below 16 ohms.  The lower your IEMs' impedance rating, the more bass you lose.  The JVCs I want are 12-ohm IEMs so I'm really concerned about the DX90's performance in that arena.  If you happen to know how well the DAP drives IEMs rated for ≤ 16 ohms, I would love to hear it.  I'm willing to go out on a limb and assume that if the DAP doesn't roll off the low end with other 12-ohm IEMs then it probably won't with these.

 

If I can just get confirmation of this one detail I'm prepared to drop the cash on a DX90 and the HA-FTX90s.  It'll be my biggest audiophile investment since putting Focal Polyglass 165 v30s in my car, and I'm really anxious to do it—but I can't afford to take the plunge on blind faith.


Edited by Djinnenjous - 5/30/14 at 1:50pm
post #1153 of 3032
Thread Starter 

The RE-600 work very fine with the DX90. Don't know about the others. 

post #1154 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinnenjous View Post
 

Interesting.  I've read one independent review online from a Russian source who said that the RE-400s do not gel with the DX90 and I've seen a couple of people allude to it here.  I wish I had a larger pool of information but I can't ferret out definitive answers to save my life.

 

I glanced at your brand online and it looks like they're all in the 25-35 ohm range.  Supposedly the DX50 starts bleeding dB in the lower end if your headphones are rated at or below 16 ohms.  The lower your IEMs' impedance rating, the more bass you lose.  The JVCs I want are 12-ohm IEMs so I'm really concerned about the DX90's performance in that arena.  If you happen to know how well the DAP drives IEMs rated for ≤ 16 ohms, I would love to hear it.  I'm willing to go out on a limb and assume that if the DAP doesn't roll off the low end with other 12-ohm IEMs then it probably won't with these.

 

If I can just get confirmation of this one detail I'm prepared to drop the cash on a DX90 and the HA-FTX90s.  It'll be my biggest audiophile investment since putting Focal Polyglass 165 v30s in my car, and I'm really anxious to do it—but I can't afford to take the plunge on blind faith.

Does the jvc have a wild impedance swing across the FR?

 

For instance the HE-400 and HE-600 will do just fine with higher impedance outputs.

post #1155 of 3032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post
 

Does the jvc have a wild impedance swing across the FR?

 

For instance the HE-400 and HE-600 will do just fine with higher impedance outputs.

Please forgive my ignorance—I'm new to the audiophile world.  How can I tell whether they do or not?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .