Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.2.0 . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.2.0 . . . - Page 7

post #91 of 2224

So I just got my DX90 and did a quick comparison to my X5. All I can say is wow for both. I think that I would be happy with either, but they are different enough that I will be happy with both. Here are some quick impressions:

 

  • Soundstage: I feel like the DX90 is bigger and the X5 is a little more intimate. The DX90 feels airy like it is in a concert hall while the X5 has a very black background, more like a studio recording with everyone in a different sound booth. Neither is superior, just different signatures.
  • Volume: I feel like I need to turn the DX90 up to get to the intimate “in the living room” soundstage which it does effortlessly and without getting shouty at higher volumes. For my NT6pro CIEMs I have the DX90 comfortably at high gain at 170, which would have killed me on my DX50. On the other hand, I do not have to turn up the X5 nearly as much to get to my preferred intimate soundstage.  However, the X5 can get brighter and shouty when turned up to higher volumes depending on the song. Both work well and sound great, so neither is superior, just different.
  • Texture: After turning up the volume to get to the appropriate intimate soundstage for my listening preference, I am all about texture. They both excel in layering texture that I couldn’t even hear before on a portable source. I thought this was restricted to my balanced Mjolnir/LCD2 setup, but no longer. Both not only express the texture that is front and center, but separate individual textures from each sound source are well represented as well. Here there is a difference. While I hear the textures equally with both, the X5 allows me to really feel them with its more intimate presentation. The DX90 sounds great, but the sounds feel further away, not hitting me in the chest. I’m not saying that the X5 takes a win here for everyone as the DX90 is more euphoric which is very compelling as well.
  • Signature: While both are very neutral signatures, the X5 excels at intimacy, black background, and texture that you can feel as well as hear. Where the DX90 excels is in opening up the soundstage and creating a very euphoric listening environment.
  • Detail: Both are equally great at generating detail but do it differently. X5 detail is more in your face and supported by a very black background while the DX90 seems to layer it very naturally. With the DX50, sounds got in the way of each other and covered up if behind each other in the same blob. This is not the case with the DX90 where you can distinctly hear two different guitarists in the same area.
  • Power: While I would not use an external amp with either, the X5 feels more powerful and like it has more reserves to support dynamics. The DX90 eliminates the clipping problem that the DX50 had with dynamic songs, but doesn’t sound as full and ampy as the X5. The X5 bass and other big sounds come full on, full size, and natural where the DX90 is a little less full and maybe a little tinny (without clipping) at times. That is not to say that the DX90 doesn’t have slam – it does – but the X5 outclasses it here for those that insist on stacking for power.

 

Just a few initial thoughts, but remember there has been zero DAP nor Brain burn in so my opinion may change latter. Now it is time for me to disappear like everyone else that got theirs and just enjoy. :L3000: 

post #92 of 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

 

If you're listening to the Stones, you really need to try 'Wild Horses' from the 'Stripped' album. Sounds fantastic on the right gear.

 

 

I'm really pleased to hear that the DX90 will read an exFAT formatted card without needing a reformat to FAT32.


Same as the DX50........exFAT.... works fine.  Please let us know what works and what does not.  I never went for the 1st batch of anything, unless its through an authorized dealer in my own land.  You first responders have to work out any and all kinks in the DX90.  Thanks to all!

post #93 of 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
 

So I just got my DX90 and did a quick comparison to my X5. All I can say is wow for both. I think that I would be happy with either, but they are different enough that I will be happy with both. Here are some quick impressions:

 

  • Soundstage: I feel like the DX90 is bigger and the X5 is a little more intimate. The DX90 feels airy like it is in a concert hall while the X5 has a very black background, more like a studio recording with everyone in a different sound booth. Neither is superior, just different signatures.
  • Volume: I feel like I need to turn the DX90 up to get to the intimate “in the living room” soundstage which it does effortlessly and without getting shouty at higher volumes. For my NT6pro CIEMs I have the DX90 comfortably at high gain at 170, which would have killed me on my DX50. On the other hand, I do not have to turn up the X5 nearly as much to get to my preferred intimate soundstage.  However, the X5 can get brighter and shouty when turned up to higher volumes depending on the song. Both work well and sound great, so neither is superior, just different.
  • Texture: After turning up the volume to get to the appropriate intimate soundstage for my listening preference, I am all about texture. They both excel in layering texture that I couldn’t even hear before on a portable source. I thought this was restricted to my balanced Mjolnir/LCD2 setup, but no longer. Both not only express the texture that is front and center, but separate individual textures from each sound source are well represented as well. Here there is a difference. While I hear the textures equally with both, the X5 allows me to really feel them with its more intimate presentation. The DX90 sounds great, but the sounds feel further away, not hitting me in the chest. I’m not saying that the X5 takes a win here for everyone as the DX90 is more euphoric which is very compelling as well.
  • Signature: While both are very neutral signatures, the X5 excels at intimacy, black background, and texture that you can feel as well as hear. Where the DX90 excels is in opening up the soundstage and creating a very euphoric listening environment.
  • Detail: Both are equally great at generating detail but do it differently. X5 detail is more in your face and supported by a very black background while the DX90 seems to layer it very naturally. With the DX50, sounds got in the way of each other and covered up if behind each other in the same blob. This is not the case with the DX90 where you can distinctly hear two different guitarists in the same area.
  • Power: While I would not use an external amp with either, the X5 feels more powerful and like it has more reserves to support dynamics. The DX90 eliminates the clipping problem that the DX50 had with dynamic songs, but doesn’t sound as full and ampy as the X5. The X5 bass and other big sounds come full on, full size, and natural where the DX90 is a little less full and maybe a little tinny (without clipping) at times. That is not to say that the DX90 doesn’t have slam – it does – but the X5 outclasses it here for those that insist on stacking for power.

 

Just a few initial thoughts, but remember there has been zero DAP nor Brain burn in so my opinion may change latter. Now it is time for me to disappear like everyone else that got theirs and just enjoy. :L3000: 


Thank you so much for your straight ahead unbiased opinion on the Fiio X5 and the iBasso DX90.  Owning products from both companies I'm sure you can understand my interest.  Thanks again and enjoy both of your new toys.

post #94 of 2224
Nice review. Makes me curious about the X5 but also reminds me of the E18s sound when compared to the DX 90. Between those two my preference goes for the DX 90 though.

The above mentioned folder issue seems to be a little firmware bug. The media scanner does funny things sometimes. But no big issue for me. It might help to start a rescan and stop that a moment after. This way the DX 90 grabbed the few files he showed as being present on the Sd but was unable to play before that procedure.

Note 3 tapatalking....
post #95 of 2224

I’m one of the lucky one that received it today. I’m so sorry for the guys that are suffering delays in the shipment, but be patient, it’s really worth.

 

I decided to buy the DX90 because I lost the DX50 some weeks ago. I was pretty happy with it, but man… the DX90 is in another league. I’m very impressed. In my opinion the DX90 is a big improvement over the DX50. I don’t have the experience and the knowledge of many of you but I’m just going to leave my feelings. I will try to explain them although this is the first time I dare to write my impressions.

 

The DX90 is so musical, the music flows easily, and everything fits. I don’t find “any” frequency that emphasizes over others (I guess it is what you call “neutral”). But at the same time I can enjoy every fragment because they are there. Clearly.

 

Now it starts to have sense for me some of the adjectives that you use to describe a DAP or a headphones and that I had to picture in my mind. Neutral, clarity,…   

 

Although because of the excitation I’m tempted to turn the volume up, I don’t have to, as the sound is so clear at moderate volume that I can perceive everything. But if I decide to turn it up I don’t feel uncomfortable.

 

I also was surprised how fast it is able to react, what gives me a great sense of energy. I don’t know if it is related to the good dynamics that some of you have stated here (I don’t understand very well that concept).

 

I said that the music flows easily, but it does mean that it has to be gentle (light?). It is presented with authority and determination. Not excessively punchy; just right. Very controlled. Much better than the DX50 that I found I little bit harsh sometimes (depending on the FW). DX90 is more refined and elegant.

 

I love it.


Edited by Sakadagami - 4/16/14 at 4:53pm
post #96 of 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakadagami View Post

I’m one of the lucky one that received it today. I’m so sorry for the guys that are suffering delays in the shipment, but be patient, it’s really worth.

I decided to buy the DX90 because I lost the DX50 some weeks ago. I was pretty happy with it, but man… the DX90 is in another league. I’m very impressed. In my opinion the FX90 is a big improvement over the DX50. I don’t have the experience and the knowledge of many of you but I’m just going to leave my feelings. I will try to explain them although this is the first time I dare to write my impressions.

The FX90 is so musical, the music flows easily, and everything fits. I don’t find “any” frequency that emphasizes over others (I guess it is what you call “neutral”). But at the same time I can enjoy every fragment because they are there. Clearly.

Now it starts to have sense for me some of the adjectives that you use to describe a DAP or a headphones and that I had to picture in my mind. Neutral, clarity,…   

Although because of the excitation I’m tempted to turn the volume up, I don’t have to, as the sound is so clear at moderate volume that I can perceive everything. But if I decide to turn it up I don’t feel uncomfortable.

I also was surprised how fast it is able to react, what gives me a great sense of energy. I don’t know if it is related to the good dynamics that some of you have stated here (I don’t understand very well that concept).

I said that the music flows easily, but it does mean that it has to be gentle (light?). It is presented with authority and determination. Not excessively punchy; just right. Very controlled. Much better than the FX50 that I found I little bit harsh sometimes (depending on the FW). FX90 is more refined and elegant.

I love it.

Your impressions are good although I would switch all of the"FX90"s to DX90 or some people may get confused.
post #97 of 2224

Done. Thanks.

post #98 of 2224

Got mine late yesterday. Not had much chance to listen to it yet, but quick first impressions - wow. A big step up from my X3. Very detailed, musical, "just right" in its presentation. Very impressed so far.

post #99 of 2224

Got mine yesterday and gave an initial listen. The first song I played was Derek and the Dominos - Layla.. Two things I noticed directly are the layers, very nicely defined, and the treble was too harsh, even sibilant in some phrases. 

I did some burning in yesterday night with the burn in cable from ibasso, high gain, volume around 210. It does help a lot, the treble is smoother, no sibilant. I haven't really listen to the rest of the qualities yet. The treble was an instant improvement though. 

post #100 of 2224

Is there any noticeable background hiss in silent passages or between tracks?

post #101 of 2224

Not for me on the Dunu DN-1000. 

post #102 of 2224
Not with any of my phones.

Daft Punk Random Access Memories with Ultrasone Signature Pro really shines. All the different sounds are so clear but without loosing cohesiveness.

Have now tried with all 5 of my phones, single ended, single ended from SR71-B and balanced from SR71-B. Balanced from SR71-B is still the best and the only way that drives the HE-500 really well. With all my other phones however I don't see any need to use the SR71-B as even the balanced out is only a marginal improvement and single ended DX90 is better than SR71-B. This little dap sure is end game on my portable journey, who would have believed not that many years ago that this level of sq would be possible on the road.

Also the power on pop from the DX50 is all but gone. Only downside is battery life. With a 2300mah Mugen battery I only get 5-6 hours playtime. Will probably have to go with the 4400mah Anker without the backplate and in the silicone skin.
Edited by nc8000 - 4/17/14 at 3:28am
post #103 of 2224

I've been listening to the DX90 quite a bit today, and decided to try it with the JDS C5 (not the C5D) with my HE-400s. I actually prefer the sound of the DX90 by itself, whereas I prefer the DX50 feeding the JDS C5. I'm going to sell my JDS C5 and maybe get something better when I feel the urge, but for now, I'm very happy with the DX90s sound and power. I will miss the C5's bass boost, but frankly the only headphones I have which need it are the AKG K550s, which I'm also going to sell. 

 

I haven't owned many DAPs before (I had a J3 for 3 years, and that served me well enough), but this is a clear step up from the DX50. The DX50 still sounds good, and is a great price, but if you have the money and are torn between the DX50 and DX90 - go with the DX90. 

post #104 of 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc8000 View Post

Also the power on pop from the DX50 is all but gone. Only downside is battery life. With a 2300mah Mugen battery I only get 5-6 hours playtime. Will probably have to go with the 4400mah Anker without the backplate and in the silicone skin.

 

It's really annoying... :( Is the autonomy enhanced with "simple" IEMs instead of "big" headphones?

post #105 of 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
 

Listening to some Angus and Julia Stone. So engrossing. I love the way this dap does the music right. Now, back to work. 

Nice choice of music:atsmile:

 

At the moment I use a DX50/BH2 mostly with Grado PS500 or GS1000.

In a few weeks (then I will have the budget for it) I will order the DX90 for sure. I'm also considering to go for a HE-500 or LCD2 with it.

In your (impressive) list of headphones/gear I see you have them both. Which one would you advise soundwise, when it's going to be used straight (not balanced) from a DX90?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.2.0 . . .