Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.1.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.1.0 - Page 96

post #1426 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migou67 View Post
 

I will also use the second battery for traveling, if the sound improve with the samsung is just a bonus, this DAP sound already amazing to my ears, now I want a new IEM to replace my IE80 at my job, the IE800 can be just a perfect pairing with this DAP :D

It is

post #1427 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migou67 View Post
 

I will also use the second battery for traveling, if the sound improve with the samsung is just a bonus, this DAP sound already amazing to my ears, now I want a new IEM to replace my IE80 at my job, the IE800 can be just a perfect pairing with this DAP :D

I love the Dita Answers with this DAP... You might want to check the Dita thread out if you are considering the IE800's.   I don't even have the Truth version, but I'd say they are still the best I've heard.  The build quality is also very impressive, the only thing I am not a fan of is the rubbery cable, which I have to make sure it doesn't have a twist so the cable stays behind my ears.  It does have the "chin strap" though.   FAD Heaven VI is also really enjoyable with the DX90, IMO they are very good with vocals. 

post #1428 of 1652

Had a full day of listening session with the DX90 internal amp high gain + LCD-2.2 on a range of music genre.

My comparative setup is Beyer DT880 600 with Little Dot mk3 on Mullard M8100 and Electro harmonix 6H30Pi-EH.

Probably not very fair but at least it gives a baseline to what I am describing..

 

 

My impression is that the DX90 can make the LCD2.2 sing decently - but it does not get near the level of my previous setup.

The sound sounds like it is trapped within a sphere that is kept at a small distance from you. There is a veil on the sound produced.

The bass and impact is still decent but there is a lot of details missing. Mid and highs are weak. Overall the sound is anaemic but still has element of attractiveness.

 

I feel that the DX90 cannot drive a planar to its potential and I the sound that I am getting from the DX90/LCD2.2 is only a "bare pass" the moment.

 

 

Just waiting for my Soloist SL to arrive and hopefully it will sound better than my old setup.

post #1429 of 1652

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post
 

I love the Dita Answers with this DAP... You might want to check the Dita thread out if you are considering the IE800's.   I don't even have the Truth version, but I'd say they are still the best I've heard.  The build quality is also very impressive, the only thing I am not a fan of is the rubbery cable, which I have to make sure it doesn't have a twist so the cable stays behind my ears.  It does have the "chin strap" though.   FAD Heaven VI is also really enjoyable with the DX90, IMO they are very good with vocals. 

 

I will read the reviews to get an idea of the signature, thanks is nice to know :smile: 


Edited by Migou67 - 6/13/14 at 11:34am
post #1430 of 1652

So for a longer battery life, I bought a X-longer 4200mAh 3.7 volts battery.

 

It is rated 0.1 volts lower than the stock battery, and I'm afraid it does have an effect on the sound.

Sounds are obviously less defined, less texture, smaller soundstage etc.

 

Did some extensive AB-between the two batteries, using the LO of the DX90 -> O2 -> akg k702 annies.

 

So yeah, watch the specs closely when buying a new battery!

 

 

So ehm, what seems to be the consensus on the best battery out there? The original samsung battery? 

post #1431 of 1652
Yeah I would love to find anything with longer run time as that's my biggest gripe with the player so far... Charging every day, sometimes even a 2nd time in a day... I was spoiled by the ZX1's battery life before this.
post #1432 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post

Yeah I would love to find anything with longer run time as that's my biggest gripe with the player so far... Charging every day, sometimes even a 2nd time in a day... I was spoiled by the ZX1's battery life before this.

Yep.

Then again, the certainty that you have to charge it every night is actually not too bad.

 

You never get the "can I survive tomorrow with 40% or should i charge" doubts.

post #1433 of 1652

I got the Vorzuge Pure ii, and it improves the DX90.  I don't hear the bass boost out of the LO, and It just sounds much better than HPO.  I guess skipping the analog circuitry after the DAC, and tapping to the DAC showing off what the mobile ES9018 can do.  :D  Vorz is the sizzle, just makes averything sound good.  It's just so damn transparent when it comes to keeping details intact.  I tried it out of clip HPO, it was much cleaner, go figure.  

post #1434 of 1652

I have owned the Audio-gd NFB-1ES for 4 years and the 1st moment I listened to the DX90 I already knew it is the amp section which is limiting the DAP (or the ES9018 chip).

post #1435 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post
 

I have owned the Audio-gd NFB-1ES for 4 years and the 1st moment I listened to the DX90 I already knew it is the amp section which is limiting the DAP (or the ES9018 chip).

Most likely the amp section is terrible as the LO sounds better.  I think the DX100 amp section is pretty good when I compared to pure ii.  I think there is a difference in sonic quality of ES9018 non-mobile version which is in the DX100 vs the ES9018K2M, the mobile version in the DX90.  The mobile version does sound more forward, and the non-mobile version sounds more laid back and more detailed to my ears.  I compared both LOs.

post #1436 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

I got the Vorzuge Pure ii, and it improves the DX90.  I don't hear the bass boost out of the LO, and It just sounds much better than HPO.  I guess skipping the analog circuitry after the DAC, and tapping to the DAC showing off what the mobile ES9018 can do.  :D  Vorz is the sizzle, just makes averything sound good.  It's just so damn transparent when it comes to keeping details intact.  I tried it out of clip HPO, it was much cleaner, go figure.  

 We are also comparing the HP out on a $420 DAP and expecting it to compete with a $560 introductory price ($600 future price) dedicated high quality portable amp . Plus the size of the Pure ii is almost as big as the DX90 for just the amp so they have the space needed...  I also agree with your post:beerchug:  and I'm also loving my Pure ii after 1 day of use and still think it will improve further with break-in.

post #1437 of 1652
Thread Starter 

We'll I have compared the amp section of the Dx90 to the fi.Q with NOS Japanese tantalum resistors and non polar Black Gates and the DX90 amp section does well. I think there are plenty of people enjoying the complete package that the DX90 is without any complaints. The DX90 proves itself to me with 560's, TH900 and opens up the JH13 pros, getting them out of my head. What amazes me is that the amp in the DX90 can be pushed hard and the sound field does not collapse nor is there any distortion while maintaining a musical presentation. 

post #1438 of 1652

The DX90 amp section doesn't sound different than LO/O2 with my Roxanne and JH16. It only sound different with my cans (T1, DT250) which obviously the O2 can deliver more power to the cans and it translates into more energy on the highs  and impact on the bass.

 

While out and about I don't need to amp DX90. But at my desk home, I enjoy it more thru  LO and O2.


Edited by headwhacker - 6/13/14 at 9:13pm
post #1439 of 1652

To me, the O2 amp doesn't do well with sources other than ODAC.  I've tried all the DAPs(X5, DX90, DX100, ipod classics), and it seems to block off some details.  I heard it with the X5, it sounded overly clear, and for the DX90, it sounded worse.  For some reason Vorguze doesn't cut off the details, and refines the rest.  

 

If you guys want to hear details, try India.arie - Acoustic Soul.  So damn amazing with Vorzuge on both X5 and DX90 LO.

 

 


Edited by SilverEars - 6/13/14 at 9:57pm
post #1440 of 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

Most likely the amp section is terrible as the LO sounds better.  I think the DX100 amp section is pretty good when I compared to pure ii.  I think there is a difference in sonic quality of ES9018 non-mobile version which is in the DX100 vs the ES9018K2M, the mobile version in the DX90.  The mobile version does sound more forward, and the non-mobile version sounds more laid back and more detailed to my ears.  I compared both LOs.

 

I think there is always trade off there as the ES9018K2M is supposed to be less demanding for good power supply. It is obvious the DX100 is having a better power supply circuit section compare to that of the DX90 to better use the ES9018.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.1.0