or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 / e-Q5)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 / e-Q5) - Page 3

post #31 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post

so these are technically better than EQ5/EQ7 , have better bass and treble extension as well but they are also more forward and in your face ?


EQ8,W40,N4 - so many great iems around the 400$ mark i don't know which one will i try/buy next when i decide to go for an upgrade on my EQ5/RE272 combo...


 

Well the EQ8 and W4 are pretty much polar opposites, one is very laid back (w4) and the other (EQ8)are very forward . I've not heard the N4?

The EQ8 are represent all the frequency range very well, but does have this peak in the upper mids, but who knows you might like it. The Bass quality on the EQ8 has to heard to be believed. It's absolutely stunning. I think the EQ8 are almost perfect apart from the peak in the upper mids, coupled with being very forward can be harsh.
post #32 of 258
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsm10 View Post

The EQ8 are represent all the frequency range very well, but does have this peak in the upper mids, but who knows you might like it. The Bass quality on the EQ8 has to heard to be believed. It's absolutely stunning. I think the EQ8 are almost perfect apart from the peak in the upper mids, coupled with being very forward can be harsh.

 

I have to say, these have been growing on me. I agree on bass quality, they may not have the deepest low end extension, but their bass is extremely tight and accurate. And it can pack a surprising punch if the music calls for it.

 

As for their forward upper mids... well, no doubt that's not my favorite tuning. But it works surprisingly well with rock, and guitars really soar. They convey crunch and aggression and at the same time stay well-controlled and absolutely clear throughout the frequency range. I shouldn't have listened that much to classical with these... ;)

 

Speaking of classical, seems like the e-Q8's bad luck in that regard is that I've been listening a lot with the FX850 (and FX750) lately. These JVCs really nail classical music to a point where no other pair of IEMs I know even comes close. Seems like it's not quite fair to hold that against the Ortofons, as there are much more expensive phones that share a similar fate when I put them up against the JVCs.


Edited by james444 - 4/21/14 at 8:11am
post #33 of 258

Did anyone had a chance to test this with MHd-Q7? 

When I had the E-Q5 the synergy was 10/10, it should be as after all it was developed for their IEM however when they were making the MHd-Q7 they did not have the e-Q8, I wonder if they still pair well.

post #34 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

I have to say, these have been growing on me. I agree on bass quality, they may not have the deepest low end extension, but their bass is extremely tight and accurate. And it can pack a surprising punch if the music calls for it.

As for their forward upper mids... well, no doubt that's not my favorite tuning. But it works surprisingly well with rock, and guitars really soar. They convey crunch and aggression and at the same time stay well-controlled and absolutely clear throughout the frequency range. I shouldn't have listened that much to classical with these... wink.gif

Speaking of classical, seems like the e-Q8's bad luck in that regard is that I've been listening a lot with the FX850 (and FX750) lately. These JVCs really nail classical music to a point where no other pair of IEMs I know even comes close. Seems like it's not quite fair to hold that against the Ortofons, as there are much more expensive phones that share a similar fate when I put them up against the JVCs.


I mainly listen to guitar based music, so that's probably why I had such a favourable impression of them. I've never used the JVC's , but I'll keep an eye out for them.

Over the last week or so I'm finding the over forwardness a little too much and I keep going back to my EQ5 for a more relaxed presentation, but then I miss the refined bass of the EQ8. I think I need something with the amazing bass presentation, instrument separation , and unflapable in complex music, but slightly laid back like the EQ5. I'm not sure such an IEM exists but I guess part of the fun in this hobby is the search and discovery. Seriously thinking about selling the EQ8. Don't think I'll ever get rid of the EQ5 as it's such a great standby and amazing value.
post #35 of 258

post #36 of 258
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsm10 View Post

Over the last week or so I'm finding the over forwardness a little too much and I keep going back to my EQ5 for a more relaxed presentation, but then I miss the refined bass of the EQ8. I think I need something with the amazing bass presentation, instrument separation , and unflapable in complex music, but slightly laid back like the EQ5. I'm not sure such an IEM exists but I guess part of the fun in this hobby is the search and discovery. Seriously thinking about selling the EQ8. Don't think I'll ever get rid of the EQ5 as it's such a great standby and amazing value.

 

Try adding a layer of fabric (alcohol swab, tea bag or eyeglass cleaning cloth) between the nozzle and tips, before you give up on them. It dampens the highs a bit and makes them sound a little more relaxed.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

... I decided to try the same recipe that worked well on the IE800 - and what can I say, I can finally see myself coming to terms with their highs.

post #37 of 258
Thats an interesting solution I'll give it a try, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Try adding a layer of fabric (alcohol swab, tea bag or eyeglass cleaning cloth) between the nozzle and tips, before you give up on them. It dampens the highs a bit and makes them sound a little more relaxed.

Thats an interesting solution I'll give it a try, thank you.

I've just spent the last 3 days with the Inear Stagediver 2, they are a completely different animal to the EQ8 , amazing soundstaging and imaging, nicely forward mids, and nice extended highs presentation without any sibilance, but they were just far too warm for me, they have a lot of midbass.

I'm looking for something else in between maybe fitear f111 or heir audio 4ai
post #38 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsm10 View Post

Thats an interesting solution I'll give it a try, thank you.
Thats an interesting solution I'll give it a try, thank you.

I've just spent the last 3 days with the Inear Stagediver 2, they are a completely different animal to the EQ8 , amazing soundstaging and imaging, nicely forward mids, and nice extended highs presentation without any sibilance, but they were just far too warm for me, they have a lot of midbass.

I'm looking for something else in between maybe fitear f111 or heir audio 4ai

If SD2 is too warm and midbassy, you might want to look at FA-4E XB. It's been frequently described as a glass of cool water, an upgraded version of what UE900 should have been

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667638/fischer-amps-fa-4-e-xb-new-4-ba-iem-from-germany

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687962/asg-2-ck100pro-ue900-and-fa-4e-xb-reviews-the-dysfunctional-family

post #39 of 258
Mine is coming this week , it's up against some tough competition in my book.
post #40 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkcow View Post

If SD2 is too warm and midbassy, you might want to look at FA-4E XB. It's been frequently described as a glass of cool water, an upgraded version of what UE900 should have been
http://www.head-fi.org/t/667638/fischer-amps-fa-4-e-xb-new-4-ba-iem-from-germany
http://www.head-fi.org/t/687962/asg-2-ck100pro-ue900-and-fa-4e-xb-reviews-the-dysfunctional-family


Thanks I might give them a go,

I sold my eq8 in the end, I miss them now , just haven't been able to find anything else with the bass quality of the EQ8 , a
Though I did find the highs a bit peaky. I've tried re600, heir 5, heaven vi, fi-ba-ss. I've got the fitear f111 coming tomorrow so hopefully I'll like those. I'm beginning to think nothing will good enough. The journey continues.
post #41 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsm10 View Post


Thanks I might give them a go,

I sold my eq8 in the end, I miss them now , just haven't been able to find anything else with the bass quality of the EQ8 , a
Though I did find the highs a bit peaky. I've tried re600, heir 5, heaven vi, fi-ba-ss. I've got the fitear f111 coming tomorrow so hopefully I'll like those. I'm beginning to think nothing will good enough. The journey continues.

 

 

how were these 2 ?

post #42 of 258

 

I've just finished reviewing the ortofon e-Q8. It's really awesome. I think what I always have valued about ortofon is how easy to insert/fit and get along with each of their phones is. As mentioned time and time again in this thread, the e-Q8 fits just like the e-Q7 did. The only bad thing about that is that there is no neck cinch. You won't be jogging with these bad boys. But I really really dig the comfort, isolation, and sound. As said, the mids are a bit hot in the upper ranges, but not subject to bleed or leaking. Bass is tight, detailed, and so are highs. I think that mids get the most detail and layers, but layers aren't as readily decipherable as they are in some other earphones. Rock, indy, folk, certain vocal jazzes really stand out in a good way. I'm not sold on classical or trance. But that's okay.

post #43 of 258

How did I miss this thread... for this long? I'm sorry, James... :o

post #44 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
 

 

I've just finished reviewing the ortofon e-Q8.

 

nice review , very detailed and your opinion makes me feel good about sticking with my EQ-5

on another , music related note

you should check out this band from the 80s since you mentioned rock/post-punk music

Talking Heads - guys are imho probably the best band in that era

get these 2 albums as a start point - Remain in Light / Fear of Music.

post #45 of 258

Talking Heads are great. I sort of wish ortofon would put the e-Q5 in an e-Q7/8 body... or a Grado GR8/10 body (which I prefer for cross country travel). The e-Q8's upper mid/treble transitions are cleaner and nicer in some ways and the added accent is wonderful to have from a brand that previously focused on more neutral-sounding products. But I prefer the e-Q5's bass volume. A melding of the two... that would be great.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 / e-Q5)