Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Should I get the V-Moda XS or M-100?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I get the V-Moda XS or M-100?

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 

I'm looking for whichever pair of headphones sounds better overall. I can get them both for similar prices through amazon (XS would be new, M-100 would be used). I listen to all genres, but I am looking for some great bass and forward mids.

Also, how does the comfort of these headphones compare? I'd be using the XL pads on the M-100 if I got them. How does the sound isolation compare?

I'd mainly be listening to these while walking around campus, and in my dorm room.

post #2 of 40

I'm assuming the M-100 is going to be more comfortable, the XS is an on-ear headphone and their normally not as comfy. I can't comment on the sound between the two, but I can link you to some people that can. Check out The Basshead Club, many people there have the M-100 and possibly the XS as well. You'd probably get a few good responses there.

post #3 of 40
The M-100 has better bass extension and harder punches. The XS is more balanced.

Isolation and comfort wise, the M-100 is pretty much the winner, unless you prefer on-ears over over-ears.
post #4 of 40

I have M-100, M-80, and XS, and just reviewed XS (http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-xs/reviews/10826) with a few pictures of M-100 vs XS.  I can also confirm that M-100 will have a better bass extension and noise isolation, but XS will be more balanced and mid-forward in comparison to M-100.  If you value a quality of vocals in the music you are listening to, you will enjoy XS a lot more.  Regarding the comfort, it used to be an easy choice between M-100 and M-80, but XS "closed the gap" ;)  Although I agree that on-ear can't be as comfortable as over-ear, XS is among some of the most comfortable in that category.  Also, the improvement in , unfold, 2-clicks on each side to extend it and off I go.  YMMV, my they are like that magnetic charging adapter that goes right on where it supposed to be, at least for me.

 

While listening in a dorm room, M-100 might be better for noise isolation from all the crap going on the floor, but while walking outside or keeping headphones around the neck - XS is a lot more comfortable and compact to store away.  To be honest, now with introduction of XS, it's no longer an easy decision.


Edited by twister6 - 4/13/14 at 7:45pm
post #5 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

I have M-100, M-80, and VS, and just reviewed XS (http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-xs/reviews/10826) with a few pictures of M-100 vs VS.  I can also confirm that M-100 will have a better bass extension and noise isolation, but XS will be more balanced and mid-forward in comparison to M-100.  If you value a quality of vocals in the music you are listening to, you will enjoy XS a lot more.  Regarding the comfort, it used to be an easy choice between M-100 and M-80, but VS "closed the gap" ;)  Although I agree that on-ear can't be as comfortable as over-ear, VS is among some of the most comfortable in that category.  Also, the improvement in comparison to M-80 is significant because it literally used to take me a few minutes to adjust M-80 to find that sweet spot.  With VS, unfold, 2-clicks on each side to extend it and off I go.  YMMV, my they are like that magnetic charging adapter that goes right on where it supposed to be, at least for me.

 

While listening in a dorm room, M-100 might be better for noise isolation from all the crap going on the floor, but while walking outside or keeping headphones around the neck - VS is a lot more comfortable and compact to store away.  To be honest, now with introduction of VS, it's no longer an easy decision.

I kind of wish I could get both! But I don't have the money for that, and it doesn't seem worth it. I am leaning toward the M-100's though, with the XL pads, the comfort and isolation should be even better.

Would you be willing to listen to a couple of songs for me through both headphones and compare?

post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezound Sound View Post
 

I kind of wish I could get both! But I don't have the money for that, and it doesn't seem worth it. I am leaning toward the M-100's though, with the XL pads, the comfort and isolation should be even better.

Would you be willing to listen to a couple of songs for me through both headphones and compare?

 

Sure, go ahead.

 

... btw, I don't know what the heck happen with my auto-correct, but XS became VS lol!!!  I had to correct my original reply...


Edited by twister6 - 4/13/14 at 7:46pm
post #7 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

Sure, go ahead.

 

... btw, I don't know what the heck happen with my auto-correct, but XS became VS lol!!!  I had to correct my original reply...

Thanks! It's just these three for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8a4iiOnzsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bag1gUxuU0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifkBc6Vcep8

post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezound Sound View Post
 

Thanks! It's just these three for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8a4iiOnzsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bag1gUxuU0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifkBc6Vcep8

 

Here is a quick analysis while playing XS and M-100 directly off my laptop.

 

Radical Face: sounds darker and deeper with M-100.  In this song  the advantage of XS plays a bigger role to add clarity to acoustic guitar and piano parts.  Also, the lead singer voice has more presence with XS.  Darker sound of M-100 makes it a bit veiled.

 

Lana Del Rey: I would call it a draw since her vocals are darker to begin with so XS just adds a bit more brightness to the top.  But in general, it's a dark song where there is no benefit to make it brighter.

 

Beyonce - hands down M-100 bass extends much deeper, while XS produces a great low end punch but lacks in deeper sub-bass texture.  This tune is all about impact of low end, so M-100 is untouchable in there.

 

Btw, you mentioned about planning to get XL pads if you go with M-100.  From what I read in the past, it improves the comfort and sound isolation but at the expense of lower sound quality.

post #9 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

Here is a quick analysis while playing XS and M-100 directly off my laptop.

 

Radical Face: sounds darker and deeper with M-100.  In this song  the advantage of XS plays a bigger role to add clarity to acoustic guitar and piano parts.  Also, the lead singer voice has more presence with XS.  Darker sound of M-100 makes it a bit veiled.

 

Lana Del Rey: I would call it a draw since her vocals are darker to begin with so XS just adds a bit more brightness to the top.  But in general, it's a dark song where there is no benefit to make it brighter.

 

Beyonce - hands down M-100 bass extends much deeper, while XS produces a great low end punch but lacks in deeper sub-bass texture.  This tune is all about impact of low end, so M-100 is untouchable in there.

 

Btw, you mentioned about planning to get XL pads if you go with M-100.  From what I read in the past, it improves the comfort and sound isolation but at the expense of lower sound quality.

Hmmm, maybe I won't get the XL pads if I get the M-100. I'm not really worried about isolation too much.

Since I listen to all genres, it's harder for me to pick. Which pair of headphones produces a more clear and crisp sound? 

post #10 of 40

I have the XL pads and the sound variations are very subtle. Some people don't notice any difference at all. What I noticed was the bass impact went down just a little bit and the sound stage got slightly bigger. Between the sound of the XS and M-100, I prefer the XS sound signature more, although I think the M-100 sounds better, if that makes sense. I use them both with a FiiO E9/E17 combo and the DAC/amp really awakens the M-100's potential. It makes the XS sing too, but the increases the M-100 gets puts it ahead. For some more impressions on both you can check my YouTube reviews in my signature below.

post #11 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderNhan View Post
 

I have the XL pads and the sound variations are very subtle. Some people don't notice any difference at all. What I noticed was the bass impact went down just a little bit and the sound stage got slightly bigger. Between the sound of the XS and M-100, I prefer the XS sound signature more, although I think the M-100 sounds better, if that makes sense. I use them both with a FiiO E9/E17 combo and the DAC/amp really awakens the M-100's potential. It makes the XS sing too, but the increases the M-100 gets puts it ahead. For some more impressions on both you can check my YouTube reviews in my signature below.

I don't plan on using a DAC or Amp with my setup. I'd just be using my phone. Which do you prefer without a dac/amp?

post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezound Sound View Post
 

Hmmm, maybe I won't get the XL pads if I get the M-100. I'm not really worried about isolation too much.

Since I listen to all genres, it's harder for me to pick. Which pair of headphones produces a more clear and crisp sound? 

 

For clear and crisp sound XS would be your choice.  M-100 was designed with "DJ" v-shaped sound signature in mind.  They are great for EDM, extra bass, pushed back mids/vocals.  If you are listening to different genres, XS balanced brighter sound will be better.  But if you want bigger impact of bass and better sound isolation - M-100 is the way to go, but don't expect clear/crisp sound in those since mids are recessed and overshadowed by bass quantity.  Look up Tyll's frequency response data for M-100 and M-80 on InnerFidelity, you will clearly see a wide cut in upper mids of M-100, while with M-80 the cut is much narrower and XS will be similar with a better treble extension.  But at the same time, on-ear headphone fitment is always a matter of personal preference.  They might sound great, but won't fit you the same way they fit me.  Wonder if you are ordering brand new from Amazon, just get both and keep the one which you like.  Otherwise, if you are buying a used M-100, buy XS and see how you like the fitment.  I'm pretty sure you gonna like it's sound, just need to try these on.  Or how about this, Apple stores should be carrying M-100 and soon XS.  Maybe you can demo it in the store?  Brookstone also carries M-100 in the store.

post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezound Sound View Post
 

I don't plan on using a DAC or Amp with my setup. I'd just be using my phone. Which do you prefer without a dac/amp?

Then the XS would be the better choice. It's also so much more portable and convenient to carry around than the M-100. Now that the weather in NYC is warming up, the M-100s are staying home. Sweaty ears are not fun.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

For clear and crisp sound XS would be your choice.  M-100 was designed with "DJ" v-shaped sound signature in mind.  They are great for EDM, extra bass, pushed back mids/vocals.  If you are listening to different genres, XS balanced brighter sound will be better.  But if you want bigger impact of bass and better sound isolation - M-100 is the way to go, but don't expect clear/crisp sound in those since mids are recessed and overshadowed by bass quantity.  Look up Tyll's frequency response data for M-100 and M-80 on InnerFidelity, you will clearly see a wide cut in upper mids of M-100, while with M-80 the cut is much narrower and XS will be similar with a better treble extension.  But at the same time, on-ear headphone fitment is always a matter of personal preference.  They might sound great, but won't fit you the same way they fit me.  Wonder if you are ordering brand new from Amazon, just get both and keep the one which you like.  Otherwise, if you are buying a used M-100, buy XS and see how you like the fitment.  I'm pretty sure you gonna like it's sound, just need to try these on.  Or how about this, Apple stores should be carrying M-100 and soon XS.  Maybe you can demo it in the store?  Brookstone also carries M-100 in the store.

I also own the V-80 (M-80 variant) and, to my ears, both the V-80 and XS have a harder hitting, more impactful bass than the M-100. The M-100 can reach really low and get layers and layers of mid-bass and sub-bass to come out stacked on top of each other in a controlled manner, but the V-80 and XS have more mid-bass punch that thumps against your ears. Others on Head-Fi have posted similar observations, so it might boil down to how well you can get the on-ears to seal. I honestly think, with you listening preferences, that the XS will be the better choice for you.

post #14 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

For clear and crisp sound XS would be your choice.  M-100 was designed with "DJ" v-shaped sound signature in mind.  They are great for EDM, extra bass, pushed back mids/vocals.  If you are listening to different genres, XS balanced brighter sound will be better.  But if you want bigger impact of bass and better sound isolation - M-100 is the way to go, but don't expect clear/crisp sound in those since mids are recessed and overshadowed by bass quantity.  Look up Tyll's frequency response data for M-100 and M-80 on InnerFidelity, you will clearly see a wide cut in upper mids of M-100, while with M-80 the cut is much narrower and XS will be similar with a better treble extension.  But at the same time, on-ear headphone fitment is always a matter of personal preference.  They might sound great, but won't fit you the same way they fit me.  Wonder if you are ordering brand new from Amazon, just get both and keep the one which you like.  Otherwise, if you are buying a used M-100, buy XS and see how you like the fitment.  I'm pretty sure you gonna like it's sound, just need to try these on.  Or how about this, Apple stores should be carrying M-100 and soon XS.  Maybe you can demo it in the store?  Brookstone also carries M-100 in the store.

I'm starting to think the XS is more of the way to go. As for fitment, I did put on a pair of on ear headphones at Best Buy to see what they are like, (Monster DNA) they weren't bad, but they weren't quite as comfortable as over ears. But portability is still an issue for me, and wearing the headphones around my neck would be a common thing, which is where the XS would succeed at. But I did have a pair of LP2's a while ago and those were pretty comfortable, except the shape of the ear cushions was weird for my ears because I have big ear lobes. So maybe the XS would be overall more comfortable for me.

Since the XS has a better overall sound, I'm just wondering, is there enough bass for my taste. Like, for bassier songs, would the bass be prominent enough, or would it be more in the background?

As for the buy both option and return the one I don't like as much, that is definitely a possibility. My nearest Apple store is about half an hour drive from me. I suppose I could make the trip this weekend since I have 3 days of school this week, but I don't even know if they would have either of the headphones to demo.

post #15 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderNhan View Post
 

Then the XS would be the better choice. It's also so much more portable and convenient to carry around than the M-100. Now that the weather in NYC is warming up, the M-100s are staying home. Sweaty ears are not fun.

 

I also own the V-80 (M-80 variant) and, to my ears, both the V-80 and XS have a harder hitting, more impactful bass than the M-100. The M-100 can reach really low and get layers and layers of mid-bass and sub-bass to come out stacked on top of each other in a controlled manner, but the V-80 and XS have more mid-bass punch that thumps against your ears. Others on Head-Fi have posted similar observations, so it might boil down to how well you can get the on-ears to seal. I honestly think, with you listening preferences, that the XS will be the better choice for you.

Interesting, I do think that I would be trying the XS first, if I can. It seems like the better option for me overall, from what you both are saying.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Should I get the V-Moda XS or M-100?