Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 + Chord Hugo & Calyx M from June.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 + Chord Hugo & Calyx M from June. - Page 43

post #631 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
 

I went to the So Cal meet the other day and took a listen to the new AK 120 II paired with LCD XC and HD 650.

 

My first impression,..it sounded warmer that what I had expected also really clean and smooth. I think the new DAC makes it more musical and warmer. It drives LCD XC and HD 650 out of HO with more than enough power..really enjoyable. I love the new design and how it feels. Very well build and It feels VERY expensive :p. Wifi music streaming was pretty snappy too.

The new sound has a deeper sound stage and more body to my ear, the highs are softer and good amount of bass.

 

Anyway, I pulled up my trusty X5 to compare using the same set ups.

 

........Wow!

 

Wow??

post #632 of 929

me too.....  explain 'wow'.....   

post #633 of 929

Add me confused as well. 

post #634 of 929

Sorry guys, didn't mean to leaving it hanging but it was only a short listening so it might not be accurate. From what I remember when switching to X5 is mostly the highs.

 

The highs on X5  definitely stands out more than AK120 II. It's not as smooth and controlled as AK 120 II but more lively, airy and a little jumpy to my ear. In fact I felt the overall sound of AK120 II is more controlled and seemed more balanced nothing stands out.

AK120 II sound resembles a clean tube sound which are smooth, moderate to fast attack and with good impact on low end, sweet mid range and of course warmer with deeper sound stage. Also there's a bit more bass body to it.

 

While X5 has more kinda bold, a bit more forward presentation and less controlled dynamic and happy trebles.  It's the sound that has a "free flowing" dynamic thus it's more lively and exciting not as smooth as AK120 II.

 

I remembered listening to MJ - Thriller and Billy Jean on AK120 II and it sounded really good..more clean analog feel. The bass line and drums on the song Thriller can and tend to sound mechanical and anemic with "cheaper" source but AK120 II does this perfectly to my ear. Bass sounds full and well controlled and the drums is more real. However, I didn't have a chance to listen to AK100 II nor the 240 II.

 

When I finally got home, I paired X5 with RSA Predator and put my LCD 2.2 on and ...boom there's the sound of the new AK120 II or at least close to it.

post #635 of 929
Time to add Pleanue P1 and Fiio X1 soon here.
post #636 of 929
I tried the Calyx M today at Jaben in Bali. To be taken with spoonful of salt because it was not my music nor my iems. I listened to audiophile tracks with Fitear Parterre mostly.

First of all, I think it is really large...not very handy. The build is really good, but I am not a fan of the esthetics. The UI is quite easy to understand but the screen was not so responsive.

SQ wise, I was quite impressed at first. The player drives Parterres with authority. The sound is very full and punchy, with sweet mids and quite euphonic sound. However, I did notice it seemed to lack clarity and transparency vs. the AK240. I guess it will pair very well with iems on the bright side such as the NT6. I will not get it as it is a bit too large and umwieldy, and slightly too colored.
post #637 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

I tried the Calyx M today at Jaben in Bali. To be taken with spoonful of salt because it was not my music nor my iems. I listened to audiophile tracks with Fitear Parterre mostly.

First of all, I think it is really large...not very handy. The build is really good, but I am not a fan of the esthetics. The UI is quite easy to understand but the screen was not so responsive.

SQ wise, I was quite impressed at first. The player drives Parterres with authority. The sound is very full and punchy, with sweet mids and quite euphonic sound. However, I did notice it seemed to lack clarity and transparency vs. the AK240. I guess it will pair very well with iems on the bright side such as the NT6. I will not get it as it is a bit too large and umwieldy, and slightly too colored.

Welcome to Bali Indonesia Michael and your family
I hope you are enjoy your holiday
As far I know audio is always in your heart , you are in holiday , you still have time for your audio
Hahaha:D
post #638 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

I tried the Calyx M today at Jaben in Bali. To be taken with spoonful of salt because it was not my music nor my iems. I listened to audiophile tracks with Fitear Parterre mostly.

First of all, I think it is really large...not very handy. The build is really good, but I am not a fan of the esthetics. The UI is quite easy to understand but the screen was not so responsive.

SQ wise, I was quite impressed at first. The player drives Parterres with authority. The sound is very full and punchy, with sweet mids and quite euphonic sound. However, I did notice it seemed to lack clarity and transparency vs. the AK240. I guess it will pair very well with iems on the bright side such as the NT6. I will not get it as it is a bit too large and umwieldy, and slightly too colored.

2 unrelated questions

1st
What do you do got a living man? Your always reporting from a different place and got uber expensive set ups

2nd
How's the size of the calyx m compare to the hm901
post #639 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post

Welcome to Bali Indonesia Michael and your family
I hope you are enjoy your holiday
As far I know audio is always in your heart , you are in holiday , you still have time for your audio
Hahaha:D
Thanks a lot Rudi and thank you for putting me in touch with such nice people. I had almost no time for music during these vacations, but still singing cool songs to my kid biggrin.gif
post #640 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofrk View Post

2 unrelated questions

1st
What do you do got a living man? Your always reporting from a different place and got uber expensive set ups

2nd
How's the size of the calyx m compare to the hm901
I am French and live in China and travel a lot for pleasure and business. I am a very successful porn star so I can buy much gear.

Calyx M is taller and maybe slightly wider than the 901, but 901 is maybe twice as thick. I still find the 901 easier to handle.
post #641 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


I am French and live in China and travel a lot for pleasure and business. I am a very successful porn star so I can buy much gear.

Calyx M is taller and maybe slightly wider than the 901, but 901 is maybe twice as thick. I still find the 901 easier to handle.


LOL! I am v interested to be a porn star, could you provide some referrals ? LOL!!!!!

 

On a serious note however, I read quite a few of your posts, very interesting especially on the yet to be released DAP U purchased in china.

 

Cheers for contributing to the forum, us newbies read and learnt quite a fair bit :)

post #642 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

I am French and live in China and travel a lot for pleasure and business. I am a very successful porn star so I can buy much gear.

Calyx M is taller and maybe slightly wider than the 901, but 901 is maybe twice as thick. I still find the 901 easier to handle.
I don't think they've invented the sarcasm font yet. Or have they? lol.

Btw, have you received your refitted custom Roxannes yet? I'm really interested in how synergistic they might be with your RWAK240 vs. the HM-901.

Cheers!
post #643 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

I am French and live in China and travel a lot for pleasure and business. I am a very successful porn star so I can buy much gear.

Calyx M is taller and maybe slightly wider than the 901, but 901 is maybe twice as thick. I still find the 901 easier to handle.

Wwwwwhhhhoooooaaaaa I think Hollywood made made a movie about you man except you were middle eastern. And I bet you didn't ever have to deal with anyone like rob szhider (spelled wrong)
post #644 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


I am French and live in China and travel a lot for pleasure and business. I am a very successful porn star so I can buy much gear.

Calyx M is taller and maybe slightly wider than the 901, but 901 is maybe twice as thick. I still find the 901 easier to handle.


Ziss is merveilleux.,,,,,Ni shi seiqing zuopin shi zhuyan,,,,,mais jiba xiao de

post #645 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrosa81 View Post


LOL! I am v interested to be a porn star, could you provide some referrals ? LOL!!!!!

On a serious note however, I read quite a few of your posts, very interesting especially on the yet to be released DAP U purchased in china.

Cheers for contributing to the forum, us newbies read and learnt quite a fair bit smily_headphones1.gif
You are welcome...send a resume and some pics wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 + Chord Hugo & Calyx M from June.