or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Was this a good deal?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I quote "I really can't think of a better sounding, full-sized, sealed headphone in the $300 price range" from the innerfidelity of the Skullcandy Mix Master review. Got one for 80$. Wouldn't have considered Skullcandy had I not read about them becoming an OEM with their own R&D team, and I caught the sale right after skimming the Innerfidelity review.

 

They're quite nice. Very comfortable, with some unique features like memory foam pads, ambidextrous plugs, coiled cable with a reinforced angled plug, and automatically switching to mono if you rotate an earpiece. I like the features, the 80$ was worth those I think. Finest pleather in all the land, really didn't think pleather could be this nice.

 

I did quite a bit of research before finally buying. Do these really count as "audiophile" or at least mid-grade equipment? MSRP of 300$ and some glowing reviews. Regarding the actual sound, IMO they're just OK. Listening to a variety of things to get a feel for them. Marginally better than the 8323 they replaced, maybe. I don't believe in "burn in" either beyond a psychological effect as you adjust, so I guess we'll see how I think they sound once I play with them a bit more.

 

Frankly, now that I've heard what 300$ audio equipment sounds like, I'd have personally value it at no more than 50$ given my 8323's were 25$. The technical aspects of the hobby really piqued my interest, but this apparently isn't for me. Just glad I got a good deal on these, I think. I didn't just get pranked or something? These are supposed to be at least better than my 8323's? Guess I expected more.


Edited by CardboardCandy - 4/9/14 at 10:50pm
post #2 of 11
While I have no doubt that you got a great deal, know that there have been a lot of stellar sealed headphones released since Tyll's review pf the Mix Masters in 2011 (look at his wall of fame lists for examples). I doubt that he would rate it quite so highly now.
post #3 of 11

I guess every 300 bucks headphone for 80 bucks is a great deal, maybe even a beats..

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it :)

 

On another note, I'm not sure about this, but I think here are fake skullcandy headphones around, I know here are fake beats and such, and Skullcandy is also a brand mostly worn for fashion.

Did you buy them from an authorized retailer, a secondhand shop, or a person?


Edited by kilspeed111 - 4/10/14 at 12:15am
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 

Used. New is 50% off the MSRP anywhere but from their site, so I hesitate to think they really are "300$" audio equipment aside from the fact the reviews I read pegged them at that. So you can get these on Amazon for 150$ brand new, though not customized of course. Used goes for 100-115$. Compared to, say, a pair of M50's that retain their MSRP on the used market, Skullcandy was looking like a really good deal. One 4.5 star seller had a "like new" pair listed at 80$+shipping.

 

It's a lot of features to duplicate for a counterfeit, if it is, and they're quite nice if it is. These pads are something else, love them.

 

They do sound at least as nice as my 8323's which as I understand are quite good already. Better I think, but it's one of those really subjective things. My only thing to go off of here is that I'm just not blown away or anything. My DAC is pretty good too, integrated but no noise and 24/192. I guess I can dig into Skullcandy counterfeiting, but really I think it's just that there's a serious depreciation to their value due to the stigma hence they sell used cheaper than the everhyped M50's.

 

Edit: Huh, yeah there's a fake skullcandy market and the bulk order from china websites peg the MixMaster knockoffs at 80$/pair just to import. If this guy did just buy a bunch of fakes to pawn off, he'd be listing them for more I think, and he'd probably be listing more than just one used pair.

 

Kind of wish I got the case with it. Even the fakes come with a case.


Edited by CardboardCandy - 4/10/14 at 1:03am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardboardCandy View Post
 

Used. New is 50% off the MSRP anywhere but from their site, so I hesitate to think they really are "300$" audio equipment aside from the fact the reviews I read pegged them at that. So you can get these on Amazon for 150$ brand new, though not customized of course. Used goes for 100-115$. Compared to, say, a pair of M50's that retain their MSRP on the used market, Skullcandy was looking like a really good deal. One 4.5 star seller had a "like new" pair listed at 80$+shipping.

 

It's a lot of features to duplicate for a counterfeit, if it is, and they're quite nice if it is. These pads are something else, love them.

 

They do sound at least as nice as my 8323's which as I understand are quite good already. Better I think, but it's one of those really subjective things. My only thing to go off of here is that I'm just not blown away or anything. My DAC is pretty good too, integrated but no noise and 24/192. I guess I can dig into Skullcandy counterfeiting, but really I think it's just that there's a serious depreciation to their value due to the stigma hence they sell used cheaper than the everhyped M50's.

 

Edit: Huh, yeah there's a fake skullcandy market and the bulk order from china websites peg the MixMaster knockoffs at 80$/pair just to import. If this guy did just buy a bunch of fakes to pawn off, he'd be listing them for more I think, and he'd probably be listing more than just one used pair.

 

Kind of wish I got the case with it. Even the fakes come with a case.

You should take a look on youtube or anything, if here's any way you can see if your pair is fake or not. But still, it's Skullcandy, most of the Skullcandy's are greatly overpriced, not sure about this one though. If they got such a great review they shouldn't be overpriced though..

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 

115$ clearance at BestBuy right now. Just saw that when looking around. Yeah they were 300$ headphones at one point, but not anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilspeed111 View Post
 

You should take a look on youtube or anything, if here's any way you can see if your pair is fake or not. But still, it's Skullcandy, most of the Skullcandy's are greatly overpriced, not sure about this one though. If they got such a great review they shouldn't be overpriced though..

Yeah I checked youtube. The knockoffs are VERY legit looking.

 

In a video review of a known counterfeit pair, there's two different logos on the bands when you extend them (On the metal band exposed when you pull them out). Skullcandy's Skull on one, and what google says is just the mix master's logo on the other. Mine has just the mix master logo on both. However, the mute button on mine doesn't seem to work, though I don't know if it works on the fakes. The switching to mono seems to work.

 

Hard to tell when I've never seen a "real" one, or any packaging, and mine only came with the coiled cable... no case, no spare cable, no nothing but some bubblewrap.

 

They don't sound BAD by any means though. If they are a Chinese clone I'm impressed because they're at least as good if not better than the 8323's.

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardboardCandy View Post
 

Yeah I checked youtube. The knockoffs are VERY legit looking.

 

In a video review of a known counterfeit pair, there's two different logos on the bands when you extend them (On the metal band exposed when you pull them out). Skullcandy's Skull on one, and what google says is just the mix master's logo on the other. Mine has just the mix master logo on both. However, the mute button on mine doesn't seem to work, though I don't know if it works on the fakes. The switching to mono seems to work.

 

Hard to tell when I've never seen a "real" one, or any packaging, and mine only came with the coiled cable... no case, no spare cable, no nothing but some bubblewrap.

 

They don't sound BAD by any means though. If they are a Chinese clone I'm impressed because they're at least as good if not better than the 8323's.

Believe me, counterfeit pairs can be extremely well made, and sometimes sound creepy close to the original. I myself, got a beats headphone, a beats pro detox. I once used a high quality fake beats pro detox, and it's because I don't have a life and know everything about beats (what a waste, I know) it's that I could see they weren't real, but I couldn't hear it that good. Only in an A/B comparison, here were small differences. The only difference was the fake pair started to distort earlier than the legit pair (the only things beats are good at, playing music way too loud..).

 

If here is ANYTHING that isn't right about the headphone, they are fakes. These things get massproduced and every single one of them is exactly the same, so if here's a sticker or a cable missing, it's fake. You could ask the guy you bought it from for the invoice, but even invoices get faked lately, scammers are really nesting in the headphone world :(.

 

Edit: You could go to bestbuy and compare your pair to the demo pair they have there, that is if they have a demo-pair. Just take your time and have a good listen to both, take an amp with you if you have one.


Edited by kilspeed111 - 4/10/14 at 2:00am
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilspeed111 View Post
You could go to bestbuy and compare your pair to the demo pair they have there, that is if they have a demo-pair. Just take your time and have a good listen to both, take an amp with you if you have one.

I doubt I could hear the difference either, but that's a great idea to check for any physical differences IE the logos on the bands. I've only found a video showing a band extended on a fake to reveal a skull logo, yet mine has the star logo on both. Either I can dig around online for more fake/real images of the logos hidden on the bands, or check the real deal. I'm headed up to the mall sometime this week anyway, so thanks for the idea.

 

These are 115$ clearance, then I can see someone selling them for 80$ minus accessories.

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardboardCandy View Post
 

I doubt I could hear the difference either, but that's a great idea to check for any physical differences IE the logos on the bands. I've only found a video showing a band extended on a fake to reveal a skull logo, yet mine has the star logo on both. Either I can dig around online for more fake/real images of the logos hidden on the bands, or check the real deal. I'm headed up to the mall sometime this week anyway, so thanks for the idea.

 

These are 115$ clearance, then I can see someone selling them for 80$ minus accessories.

No problem.

The skull logo and star logo thingy really makes me think these are fakes.. Of course you could buy a real pair, and compare the drivers, but that's too much work and too expensive, you might also break something.

 

Mind giving me a link to the video (with the time you see these logo's) and a picture of your headphone?

 

Don't think of it as a factory flaw by the way, that's nearly impossible to happen, it would maybe screw up the logo, but won't replace it with another logo.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardboardCandy View Post

Used. New is 50% off the MSRP anywhere but from their site, so I hesitate to think they really are "300$" audio equipment aside from the fact the reviews I read pegged them at that. So you can get these on Amazon for 150$ brand new, though not customized of course. Used goes for 100-115$. Compared to, say, a pair of M50's that retain their MSRP on the used market, Skullcandy was looking like a really good deal. One 4.5 star seller had a "like new" pair listed at 80$+shipping.

In case anyone is considering them, BestBuy has them new for $113.
post #11 of 11

Did you check on them yet?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home