or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Light Harmonic Geek Wave
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Light Harmonic Geek Wave - Page 18

post #256 of 3773

They should make the new enclosure available as an upgrade for the backers who arent at the X128 or XD128 perk

post #257 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by slntdth93 View Post

They should make the new enclosure available as an upgrade for the backers who arent at the X128 or XD128 perk
I agree. Stretch goals usually apply for all backers, not a specific few.
post #258 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by slntdth93 View Post

They should make the new enclosure available as an upgrade for the backers who arent at the X128 or XD128 perk

I believe they said they are going to upgrade the other enclosures as well, just not with this grade aluminium as it would be too costly. I guess if people wanted to pay for it though then why not.
post #259 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post


I believe they said they are going to upgrade the other enclosures as well, just not with this grade aluminium as it would be too costly. I guess if people wanted to pay for it though then why not.

THIS.

 

Kojaku

post #260 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


I agree. Stretch goals usually apply for all backers, not a specific few.


I agree. What they are doing is entice the non-XD backers to upgrade to XD.  I just hope they expand the market by creating new customer base instead of creaming their current customers.  Pono project was a success because they put the faces of these famous artists on YouTube.  LH should do the same.

post #261 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopQuark View Post  I agree. What they are doing is entice the non-XD backers to upgrade to XD.  I just hope they expand the market by creating new customer base instead of creaming their current customers.  Pono project was a success because they put the faces of these famous artists on YouTube.  LH should do the same.

 

Pretty sure they're unable to do that. Pono is probably the only company capable of projecting star power. No "hi-fi company" has that kind of clout, whereas a good proportion of Pono backers got a player simply because there was a signature edition of their favorite artist. With regard to creating a new customer base, LH tried doing that with the Wave 32, but that's a product made at below cost. So that's the group they're trying to seduce.

post #262 of 3773

Getting very hard to resist the XD128....

post #263 of 3773

The campaign was extended for another 24 days.  What that does mean?

 

Hmmm.  Let's see.

 

Upgrade to add wifi - $200

Add a dock - $200

Update to TDH2 - $150

Add DLNA - $100

Add I2C - $100

Add USB to connect to NAS on the dock - $100

Bluetooth (APT-X) - $100

S/PDIF Out - $100

Integrated charging in dock - $150

Dual SDXC Slot - $100

..etc. etc...

 

Of course, those are not real.  What I am alluding to is this thing never ends.  At the end of the day, when you thought you got the best DAP to begin with, you'll realize it wasn't not until you add more crap that many fancy about.  This thing is no longer the DAP that I wanted - a simple DAP that just play pure music.  Now it's all diluted and there is no refund!

 

Let's go back to the original ad of the XD128:

 

"With Geek Wave XD 128, you have THE absolute best portable player money can buy. You have it all: a fully-balanced dual mono topology (there's two of almost everything in there). In addition, two extremely precise femto clocks are included."

 

Well, guess what, you don't have the absolute best portable player unless you pay more - IEM upgrade - $128, TDH upgrade - $168, DAD upgrade - $256... :frown:  False advertising?  MOM upgrade and SISTER upgrades are coming... and it just got rebooted again for another 24 days of new ideas to come!


Edited by TopQuark - 6/18/14 at 10:28pm
post #264 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopQuark View Post

"With Geek Wave XD 128, you have THE absolute best portable player money can buy. You have it all: a fully-balanced dual mono topology (there's two of almost everything in there). In addition, two extremely precise femto clocks are included."

Well, guess what, you don't have the absolute best portable player unless you pay more - IEM upgrade - $128, TDH upgrade - $168, DAD upgrade - $256... frown.gif   False advertising?  MOM upgrade and SISTER upgrades are coming... and it just got rebooted again for another 24 days of new ideas to come!
Yeah so much for a "no compromise portable media player." Maybe it's "no compromise" if you shell out $1000+.
post #265 of 3773

Yea, I was initially pretty excited about the chance to get a Geek Wave 32 as a "loss leader" to be able to experience a very high quality musical experience at an affordable price.  I must admit, I opted for the dual dac set-up as well, but this is far as I'm going to go.  To be honest, watching all these modifications and add-ons and case choices, etc, etc, etc come by, I'm beginning to feel like the GW32 may be a bit of an old sock.  I really wish the Geek Wave Team would put out more detailed information on specs, UI and firmware on the basic models. Now this process is feeling akin to haggling with a car dealer over a new car...

post #266 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


Yeah so much for a "no compromise portable media player." Maybe it's "no compromise" if you shell out $1000+.

 

I feel the same. I am hoping I can resist all perks, just get my 64 and accept it for what it is. 

post #267 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post
 

 

I feel the same. I am hoping I can resist all perks, just get my 64 and accept it for what it is. 


Still, it's MUCH better than paying $2400 for an AK240 isn't it?

post #268 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by germay0653 View Post
 


Still, it's MUCH better than paying $2400 for an AK240 isn't it?

 

But better than my DX90?  DSD is great but not really necessary for me. I only had the stock 64 model, I doubt that will compete with the AK240, the 128XD? Maybe, probably.  I guess its all speculation and we shall see Q1 2015.

post #269 of 3773

i m really slow gettg on to this, n just confused w the pricing...totally new to baaaacking this n tat :P

post #270 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog View Post

Yea, I was initially pretty excited about the chance to get a Geek Wave 32 as a "loss leader" to be able to experience a very high quality musical experience at an affordable price.  I must admit, I opted for the dual dac set-up as well, but this is far as I'm going to go.  To be honest, watching all these modifications and add-ons and case choices, etc, etc, etc come by, I'm beginning to feel like the GW32 may be a bit of an old sock.  I really wish the Geek Wave Team would put out more detailed information on specs, UI and firmware on the basic models. Now this process is feeling akin to haggling with a car dealer over a new car...
Yeah at this point I have absolutely no incentive to buy any of their perks. Dual DACs doesn't seem like it will add much, lower THD+N will only really help if the design was seriously flawed from the start (which by itself compromises the "no compromise" advertising), the IEM package costs basically the same price as the entire unit itself and seems quite ridiculous in that sense, and likewise for the femto clock. It seems like they're literally just tacking on things just to please the Geek Force people.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Light Harmonic Geek Wave