Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Hello there! New to Head-Fi with questions ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hello there! New to Head-Fi with questions ...

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I am looking for a decent pair of headphones to use for music and gaming on my PC rig.  I am currently using the onboard sound powered by a Realtek chipset for 7.1.  I know some of the terms that have been thrown about in the threads I have been reading. I will try to be clear in what I am looking for in my first post.

 

Over-ear headphones, closed back( I think), good bass, clear mids, clear highs not sharp and piercing. I am no audiophile but I do want my music to sound alive and clear, not muddled like you hear on the radio most times.  Now for the kicker, $50 limit.  I don't have anywhere in town to listen to units first, unless I go to Best Buy and attempt to listen to the overpriced Beats and the like. 

 

Eventually I may get a soundcard that is much better than the Realtek, but for now it's what I got to work with. 

 

Ready for the flood of biased and opinionated suggestions :D

post #2 of 7

Since you're a PC gamer you'll get this analogy.

 

If you pay $50 for a pair of headphones it's similar to cheaping out on the $110 graphics card and and getting an $80 one instead.

 

Also would you be interested in a headset? ATH has some pretty damn good ones and if you had separate budgets for both...

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryking View Post
 

Since you're a PC gamer you'll get this analogy.

 

If you pay $50 for a pair of headphones it's similar to cheaping out on the $110 graphics card and and getting an $80 one instead.

 

Also would you be interested in a headset? ATH has some pretty damn good ones and if you had separate budgets for both...

 

Headset as in with microphone? Not interested in a mic. So basically your telling me that I can't get something even relatively decent that's gotta be better than the $12 options for that price? I don't believe that.

post #4 of 7
Most of the over ear headphone recommendations here will start at around $80 or so, just because that's the price bracket where people tend to find that you start to get into good quality headphones for the money. Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 have good sound with a little bass emphasis. NVX Audio XPT100 for a neutral response headphone. Creative Aurvana Live! is another. Takstar Pro 80 (apparently can be found cheaper through Ebay, etc.).
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaetos View Post
 

I am looking for a decent pair of headphones to use for music and gaming on my PC rig.  I am currently using the onboard sound powered by a Realtek chipset for 7.1.  I know some of the terms that have been thrown about in the threads I have been reading. I will try to be clear in what I am looking for in my first post.

 

Over-ear headphones, closed back( I think), good bass, clear mids, clear highs not sharp and piercing. I am no audiophile but I do want my music to sound alive and clear, not muddled like you hear on the radio most times.  Now for the kicker, $50 limit.  I don't have anywhere in town to listen to units first, unless I go to Best Buy and attempt to listen to the overpriced Beats and the like. 

 

Eventually I may get a soundcard that is much better than the Realtek, but for now it's what I got to work with. 

 

Ready for the flood of biased and opinionated suggestions :D

 

Look for a Best Buy with a Magnolia room.   They have a small selection of pretty good headphones you can audition.  I don't think they will have anything for $50, but at least you can come back and ask for recommendations for a $50 headphone that sound like some model you heard at Best Buy.

post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Most of the over ear headphone recommendations here will start at around $80 or so, just because that's the price bracket where people tend to find that you start to get into good quality headphones for the money. Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 have good sound with a little bass emphasis. NVX Audio XPT100 for a neutral response headphone. Creative Aurvana Live! is another. Takstar Pro 80 (apparently can be found cheaper through Ebay, etc.).

 

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check into those  

post #7 of 7
I'd scrape the sale forums around here! If you have to stick under $50 mark, you might want to check out the Klipsch Image One. I'd say purely for sound, they cannot be beaten for this price (can be found as low as $30 used on Amazon). However, they're small, on-ear (if you have small ears, can be worn over-ear).

For new in that price range, I'd go with the Superlux HD681

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD-681-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00BWUHHYE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397047717&sr=1-2&keywords=superlux
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Hello there! New to Head-Fi with questions ...