Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? - Page 20

post #286 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

heres to hoping Cds last another decade

 

 

I still buy 2nd hand CDs and, if I have a choice between buying a 16/44.1 download or buying the same content on CD, I prefer to buy the CD. I won't deny that, for the new releases, I do have a twinge of guilt, from an environmental perspective, so I may change before CDs stop being produced. In either case, it won't stop me buying 2nd hand CDs of older albums, though.

 

 

I'm losing interest in the X7, simply because I feel it is lacking clarity in its intent, but whether I buy an X5, DX90, or whatever, I will be playing some 24/96 and a whole heap of 16/44.1, simply because I own so much of it, like Mimouille.


Edited by Mython - 5/21/14 at 2:27pm

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #287 of 811
Why don't you build good cheap amp like you usually did for pairing with x3, the right size like x5/e12.. Instead making some expensive one, some manufacturers has already covered that up.
post #288 of 811
Mython I think we are in agreement but I am still not convinced high res will take. And it will be useless unless mastering and recordings are better.
post #289 of 811

I personally think HD will slowly become the norm for most. The reason is simple - your generally public doesn't like the idea of "low / standard" resolution anymore. Just like you don't find that many 4K service out there, yet 4K TV is a hot sale these days. Just saying you are not using / listening / watching HD seems to imply you are missing something. If anything, people are already sold on the concept of HD being the format of tomorrow. HD music is just going to piggyback on that trend.

 

DSD on the other hand, I don't get. It really isn't a format that shows obvious advantage over PCM, and the working principle is way too complicated for your average consumer to understand (*not as clear cut as high vs. low). I think it might just be another Beta vs. VHS, where Sony is going to lose again.

post #290 of 811
CD/music is dead. Go back to Vinyl or spend money on gear.
post #291 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

I personally think HD will slowly become the norm for most. The reason is simple - your generally public doesn't like the idea of "low / standard" resolution anymore. Just like you don't find that many 4K service out there, yet 4K TV is a hot sale these days. Just saying you are not using / listening / watching HD seems to imply you are missing something. If anything, people are already sold on the concept of HD being the format of tomorrow. HD music is just going to piggyback on that trend.

 

DSD on the other hand, I don't get. It really isn't a format that shows obvious advantage over PCM, and the working principle is way too complicated for your average consumer to understand (*not as clear cut as high vs. low). I think it might just be another Beta vs. VHS, where Sony is going to lose again.

 

I honestly think DSD will take simple because of it's BIGGER and many consumers think bigger=better, as soon as Apple starts selling Lossless files, and high quality files around 24/96 and even DSD 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

CD/music is dead. Go back to Vinyl or spend money on gear.

Thats a silly statement, 

 

 

Still I have a feeling it will take, again bigger hard drives will need something to fill them up, like 4k Video Files and DSD music

post #292 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

I personally think HD will slowly become the norm for most. The reason is simple - your generally public doesn't like the idea of "low / standard" resolution anymore. Just like you don't find that many 4K service out there, yet 4K TV is a hot sale these days. Just saying you are not using / listening / watching HD seems to imply you are missing something. If anything, people are already sold on the concept of HD being the format of tomorrow. HD music is just going to piggyback on that trend.

 

DSD on the other hand, I don't get. It really isn't a format that shows obvious advantage over PCM, and the working principle is way too complicated for your average consumer to understand (*not as clear cut as high vs. low). I think it might just be another Beta vs. VHS, where Sony is going to lose again.

The wave of the future is HDR high dynamic range along with 4k and 8k and 20k.  I got to see an 8k prototype and it does look nice.  I don't see why the public should "want" standard definition.  3d tv for now is a gimmick.  Still hasn't taken on much other than at the theaters.  As for sound, that is subjective.  Our ears are more limited than our sight.

 

HD is already the norm by the way.  Not sure where you can find standard definition televisions anymore.  Haven't seen one in years myself, less you live in the boonies.  

 

Even so the HDTV didn't really take off until movies and programming was made for it.  Having a couple news stations didn't make it take off.  The sports and other programming and movies did.  Until musicians record in 24/96 or 24/192 there's very little content.  The hardware will be bought by consumers when the material that people listen to is available.  The high quality audio libraries are too few and far between for now.  Until then.  Pono away...

post #293 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

 

I still buy 2nd hand CDs and, if I have a choice between buying a 16/44.1 download or buying the same content on CD, I prefer to buy the CD. I won't deny that, for the new releases, I do have a twinge of guilt, from an environmental perspective, so I may change before CDs stop being produced. In either case, it won't stop me buying 2nd hand CDs of older albums, though.

 

 

I'm losing interest in the X7, simply because I feel it is lacking clarity in its intent, but whether I buy an X5, DX90, or whatever, I will be playing some 24/96 and a whole heap of 16/44.1, simply because I own so much of it, like Mimouille.

 

My feeling is that this stems from wanting to please everybody, which is impossible. They'll have to put some ideas on the chopping block, sooner or later.

post #294 of 811

In a way, I also feel that Fiio should just release what they think is flagship

post #295 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post
 

 

My feeling is that this stems from wanting to please everybody, which is impossible. They'll have to put some ideas on the chopping block, sooner or later.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 

In a way, I also feel that Fiio should just release what they think is flagship

agree'd. I am ofc a fan of simplicity. I want my DAP to simply play music files in the highest quality possible. The DX90 is starting to appeal to me... as I'd love something with the OLD Hifiman HM801 interface and size, with a dual ESS Savre Dac Output stage and inpout. Honestly I love my HM801, and I'm hoping the DX90 or Fiio X7 will match it's simplistic elegance but with a higher and slighty more neutral sound 

post #296 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenook View Post

 

HD is already the norm by the way.  Not sure where you can find standard definition televisions anymore.  Haven't seen one in years myself, less you live in the boonies.  

...

 

Let me introduce you to the place we called the third world. It isn't a large place, just most of the world. ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post
 

 

My feeling is that this stems from wanting to please everybody, which is impossible. They'll have to put some ideas on the chopping block, sooner or later.

 

If one extra feature has very obvious compromise, then let put it to the chopping block. But I don't see why WiFi or Bluetooth, as much as they are not the audiophile features, need to be removed. 

post #297 of 811

IMHO, overall quality is the only thing that we are looking for !

The main problem of FIIO is the ergonomy and the UI of their DAPs.

The rest is good...

post #298 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

Let me introduce you to the place we called the third world. It isn't a large place, just most of the world. ;)

 

 

If one extra feature has very obvious compromise, then let put it to the chopping block. But I don't see why WiFi or Bluetooth, as much as they are not the audiophile features, need to be removed. 

In 2012 these were the shipments of television types worldwide.  All LCD/ pDP/OLED televisions are HDTV's but can handle SDTV with conversion.  The CRT televisions are mixed HD and SD.  So this being 2014 I don't see the standard televisions as "increasing" or "the standard" as you say.

 

The main manufactures are not creating Standard definition televisions at all, as there is no money in it anymore.  The unknown small manufacturers in those 3rd world may be making a few, but no, HD is the standard now and SD is the extreme minority.

 

LCD TV  87.3%
PDP TV 5.7%
OLED TV 0.0%
CRT TV 6.9%
RPTV 0.0%
Total 100%

Edited by Shenook - 5/22/14 at 6:21am
post #299 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenook View Post
 

In 2012 these were the shipments of television types worldwide.  All LCD/ pDP/OLED televisions are HDTV's but can handle SDTV with conversion.  The CRT televisions are mixed HD and SD.  So this being 2014 I don't see the standard televisions as "increasing" or "the standard" as you say.

 

The main manufactures are not creating Standard definition televisions at all, as there is no money in it anymore.  The unknown small manufacturers in those 3rd world may be making a few, but no, HD is the standard now and SD is the extreme minority.

 

LCD TV  87.3%
PDP TV 5.7%
OLED TV 0.0%
CRT TV 6.9%
RPTV 0.0%
Total 100%

 

Yes, and now what is the TV choice of hi-res DAP owners of head-fi ?

post #300 of 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverprout View Post

 

Yes, and now what is the TV choice of hi-res DAP owners of head-fi ?

 



Lol, good point but it was not my analogy comparing HD to audio HD. Just stating the fact high resolution video is already prevalent. For audio mass market is getting a taste through some blue ray mediums but the masses are listening through sub-par home audio ht systems. Unless they are avs type persons.

I am happy to see new found interest in better audio. The iSheep crowd (not all of them) have been living with low quality apple format for over a decade or so.
Edited by Shenook - 5/22/14 at 7:28am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP?