I am the proud owner of an X3 and an X5. Here is my wishlist:
- SQ, of course ;) Don't know, or really care, how you get this, you can stick in single DAC or quad, as long as we get good SQ for the price, I'm happy.
- A bit bigger than X5 is fine, but not too much. I think X5 thick with 5 inch phone size is a bit too much.
- Battery should be at least equal to X5 or easily replaceable.
- UI should be simple and fast. Details could be hidden in sub menus with regularly used functions easily accessible. 'bling bling' only makes devices harder to use, IMHO.
- Hardware buttons are a must, even for touchscreen devices.
- A high quality amp is a must, but with good noise control. Believe it or not, I hear hiss from the X5 with sensitive IEMs on low gain.
- Bluetooth aptX and WiFi are MUST HAVE! I will use this device everywhere, including my friends houses during a party (BT streaming), at home to stream Spotify to my stereo etc.
A remote control function, via BT or otherwise, would be excellent for when using the device as a standalone DAC or DAP connected to my stereo system. The QLS QA360 has a very simple IR remote control (details of implementation not known yet of course) which should be cheap and simple add on that will be enough...
Edited by dulty - 5/25/14 at 10:27am