or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Groups › Melbourne Head-Fiers Group › Discussions › Coverage and Review of Melbourne Meet - April 2014 - Post photos and comments from the meet here

Coverage and Review of Melbourne Meet - April 2014 - Post photos and comments from the meet here - Page 6

post #76 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyd4 View Post

Hey all

Did anyone else try the mentors. I would be interested in your thoughts

Personally I love them. Just curious smily_headphones1.gif

=) ended up selling mine. see signature review link.


wow i just spent 2/3 of a page reading about the prices of crack and speedball(s)...definitely amused. at some point there was mention of alternatives to crack too biggrin.gif
post #77 of 88
Darn. Its a shame i missed out and couldnt make it. I was looking forward to trying some interesting iem
post #78 of 88

By the way guys, I just thought I'd mention that I am about to put my Mad Dog 3.2 and Burson Soloist SL on the market. If anyone of you in Melbourne are interested, I will give you first dibs and a better price than I would be listing it at. 

 

Mad Dog 3.2 and Burson Soloist SL will list for $650 (for both). Any of you guys: $550 pickup. 

I've got a Burson Soloist (full version) for $695 listed. If anyone of you want it, it's $600 pickup. 

 

Also if I am not meant to put this stuff here then feel free to tell me off  :p

post #79 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsq17 View Post
 

Also if I am not meant to put this stuff here then feel free to tell me off  :p

 

LMAO! :wink_face:

post #80 of 88

Are they the same Maddogs that were at the meet? 

 

They were great! 

post #81 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

Are they the same Maddogs that were at the meet? 

 

They were great! 

Don't think so. 

post #82 of 88

Yeah they were at the meet. Not to be confused with the other Fostex T50RP mod that was in the middle table. 

 

The Burson Soloist was also at the meet. I didn't bring the SL because I felt there would be no point with a Soloist there. 

post #83 of 88
^^ also a prior pair of my cans iirc tongue.gif
I need to delete my head fi account I think lol
post #84 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsq17 View Post

Yeah they were at the meet. Not to be confused with the other Fostex T50RP mod that was in the middle table. 

The Burson Soloist was also at the meet. I didn't bring the SL because I felt there would be no point with a Soloist there. 

Yeah the mad dog was is in the back close to the wall. Don't think many people tried it
post #85 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahdi8 View Post


Yeah the mad dog was is in the back close to the wall. Don't think many people tried it

 

I did, it was absolutely my cup of tea. I've never tried Alpha pads either, they were surprisingly comfortable. 

post #86 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

I did, it was absolutely my cup of tea. I've never tried Alpha pads either, they were surprisingly comfortable. 

 

The Mad Dogs are fantastic, though take a sec to get used to the sig.  At least for me.

The Alpha Dogs are more refined.  They lose bass impact in favor of bass texture and depth.

 

Basically they improve upon the mad dog in every regard, except they lose a little of the 'fun' factor and lean towards reference.

 

I HIGHLY recommend them, however as I recall the people that tried mine at the last meet weren't overly fussed.


They are a headphone that (and again purely imo) you can get lost in, listening to music and they do it so easily it seems lazy, until you listen critically and the details are amazing.

They are not a headphone where the sparkle and bass impact hits you and you are blown away.

 

I actually find them to be similar to the LCD2 I had in that they mids a divine and thick, but textured and detailed, the bass shares many characteristics but in a weaker form, the LCD wins hands down in impact and quality, however I found the highs on the Alpha dog to well exceed that of the LCD2 R1 with silver dragon cable.

 

My 2 cents WHETHER YOU ASKED FOR IT OR NOT!!!

 

:P

post #87 of 88

Having owned the HD580 (upgraded to HD600 grill and ZY Cable) and Philips X1, tried the Beyers DT770 and DT990... I can say that the Mad Dog 3.2 is THE best mid-fi headphone I've ever heard by a considerable margin. I found a good synergy with the Burson Soloist SL amp allowing for treble sparkle AND a sufficiently good bass hit. Drums in particular sounded like drums and not some synthesized bass hit. Everything else sounded great too but the drums was a standout for me. 

 

It has been my go to headphone every since I picked it up from Wyd4 (thanks bud). 

 

Now I have decided to embark on a new journey based around the TH900 and the Beyer T1. I don't think that the Mad Dogs should just sit at my home unused and discarded. It needs a new loving home. 

post #88 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsq17 View Post
 

Having owned the HD580 (upgraded to HD600 grill and ZY Cable) and Philips X1, tried the Beyers DT770 and DT990... I can say that the Mad Dog 3.2 is THE best mid-fi headphone I've ever heard by a considerable margin. I found a good synergy with the Burson Soloist SL amp allowing for treble sparkle AND a sufficiently good bass hit. Drums in particular sounded like drums and not some synthesized bass hit. Everything else sounded great too but the drums was a standout for me. 

 

It has been my go to headphone every since I picked it up from Wyd4 (thanks bud). 

 

Now I have decided to embark on a new journey based around the TH900 and the Beyer T1. I don't think that the Mad Dogs should just sit at my home unused and discarded. It needs a new loving home. 

 

I SOOO wish I had some spare coin!

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Melbourne Head-Fiers Group
Head-Fi.org › Groups › Melbourne Head-Fiers Group › Discussions › Coverage and Review of Melbourne Meet - April 2014 - Post photos and comments from the meet here