Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Scammers in the FS forum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scammers in the FS forum?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Just got contacted by someone in relation to a WTB thread who registered a couple of days ago and has no posts and no feedback. Do we get scammers in there much? Should I be worried?

post #2 of 25

You can't count out scammers as they lurk everywhere.  I've sold items from newly created accounts with good results so far (knock on wood).  Like any transaction, you just need to take measures to reduce the risk of getting cheated or ripped off like only delivering to PayPal confirmed addresses, verify feedback on other mediums, add insurance and/or signature confirmation, and if the buyer seems still too risky (trust your gut feelings), receive payment as PP gift only.  You always have the "hell no" response and move on.

 

I feel you.  Just keep your guards up and trust your instincts, you'll be fine most of the time.  Be especially cautious with new accounts, no feedback/credentials, and is from outside your country.  Unless the member has significant credibility, I usually limit the selling within my country, especially for higher valued items. Most of the time, the cost of insured and trackable shipping is enough to scare away scammers and sadly, trustworthy international members.

 

Good luck.


Edited by alpha421 - 4/5/14 at 10:17pm
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha421 View Post
 

You can't count out scammers as they lurk everywhere.  I've sold items from newly created accounts with good results so far (knock on wood).  Like any transaction, you just need to take measures to reduce the risk of getting cheated or ripped off like only delivering to PayPal confirmed addresses, verify feedback on other mediums, add insurance and/or signature confirmation, and if the buyer seems still too risky (trust your gut feelings), receive payment as PP gift only.  You always have the "hell no" response and move on.

 

I feel you.  Just keep your guards up and trust your instincts, you'll be fine most of the time.  Be especially cautious with new accounts, no feedback/credentials, and is from outside your country.  Unless the member has significant credibility, I usually limit the selling within my country, especially for higher valued items. Most of the time, the cost of insured and trackable shipping is enough to scare away scammers and sadly, trustworthy international members.

 

Good luck.

 

This was a response to a WTB add. They asked me to give them my email address so they could send me details and photos, that's what made me a bit suss, then I checked and it's a new account with no posts or feedback. I replied and said they can send pictures and details to me on head-fi. I'll see what they say to that.

post #4 of 25

I usually try to keep all communications in one medium (head-fi, Hotmail, gmail...etc).  I'm not sure if new accounts are still limited to five or less message responses within head-fi's message system.  Also, ask to have a hand written paper with the date and seller's name next to the item, as I've once had a seller provided me with an image that was not his/her own (copied and used else where). 

post #5 of 25

Yes, I think there is a 5 PM a day rule for new people. 

post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 

So I checked the scam warning page and sure enough my guy mibulbc was listed there. He's a known identity theft scammer, so watch out.

post #7 of 25
Yep, check out the known scammers page just to make sure.
post #8 of 25

Yes, I put up a warning. We have a guy from the UAE who tried to steal people's IDs by offering to buy items from people on Audiogon and here, asking for a passport scan and links to feedback, which they then used to scam others. They then reply to WTB ads, submitting the stolen info.

 

Unfortunately the guy is pretty internet-savvy, so I can't block him outright, hence my warning notice. 

 

If you receive a suspicious PM, please click on the red flag bottom left of the PM and fill in the box and I'll check if it is him. We DO get a lot of people signing up to reply to classifieds, but this guy's MO is pretty obvious: He always asks for Western Union payment, feedback from other sites and/or a passport scan.

post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

Yes, I put up a warning. We have a guy from the UAE who tried to steal people's IDs by offering to buy items from people on Audiogon and here, asking for a passport scan and links to feedback, which they then used to scam others. They then reply to WTB ads, submitting the stolen info.

 

Unfortunately the guy is pretty internet-savvy, so I can't block him outright, hence my warning notice. 

 

If you receive a suspicious PM, please click on the red flag bottom left of the PM and fill in the box and I'll check if it is him. We DO get a lot of people signing up to reply to classifieds, but this guy's MO is pretty obvious: He always asks for Western Union payment, feedback from other sites and/or a passport scan.

Did that as soon as I saw the warning page.

post #10 of 25

So this scammer who "used" my identity, the same Stig Olson, contacted a bunch of people on other forum's claiming to be me. He set up an email imackler45@gmail pretending to be me. These guys he tried to scam, contacted me but played him along and got his bank transfer number to a UK bank. I called the bank but they wouldn't do anything about it. That creep is the reason for my avatar! 

 

If anyone in the US is scammed, I've learned you should contacted your local police dept, file a claim with Federal Trade Commission and with the Internet Crime Complaint Center. Even though he never had my social security number or bank info (obviously), I put a three month fraud warning which can be set up through any of the three major credit check companies. It's free. 

 

Feel free to contact me if I can be of help. 

post #11 of 25

So guys, never give out anything that isn't needed to get to an agreement. Think twice when dealing with someone who's just registered or has zero/old feedback. Better super safe (aka no deal) than sorry. At all scammers out there, get a job!

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
 

So guys, never give out anything that isn't needed to get to an agreement. Think twice when dealing with someone who's just registered or has zero/old feedback. Better super safe (aka no deal) than sorry. At all scammers out there, get a job!

 

In most cases you're safe dealing with zero feedback new members. Just be on the look-out for red flags, such as people not asking for details about the item you're selling or presenting information about an item in reply to a WTB during a sale, offering to sell something and asking for Western Union payment, or paying you via Paypal but then asking you to send the item to another country than the Paypal address. 

post #13 of 25

Bumping this as I've now updated the wiki with all the user names he has used, including another new one registered today:

 

nikkicharles198, aishaboulos33, dominguez1155, aishaboulos33, amateur12, audiohw, olsen11, mibull, mibulb, mibulbc, bin12

post #14 of 25

it's amazing how many offers one gets when doing a wanted post for HD800. and how many of them are new members with no profile, zero feedback, etc.

 

but even members that have double digit positive feedback and who have been members for a year can still scam. happened to me fairly recently.

post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post
 

So this scammer who "used" my identity, the same Stig Olson, contacted a bunch of people on other forum's claiming to be me. He set up an email imackler45@gmail pretending to be me. These guys he tried to scam, contacted me but played him along and got his bank transfer number to a UK bank. I called the bank but they wouldn't do anything about it. That creep is the reason for my avatar! 

 

If anyone in the US is scammed, I've learned you should contacted your local police dept, file a claim with Federal Trade Commission and with the Internet Crime Complaint Center. Even though he never had my social security number or bank info (obviously), I put a three month fraud warning which can be set up through any of the three major credit check companies. It's free. 

 

Feel free to contact me if I can be of help. 


Crap...I hope this issue is resolved soon.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Scammers in the FS forum?