Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Head-Fi Meet Impressions, Trade Show Reports, Factory Tours › Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread - Page 11  

post #151 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post

The Oppo PM-1 is actually better when compared to the HD 800 as based on my experience with both of these headphones the HD 800 sounded a bit dull and recessed when compared to the PM-1 and also the PM-1 has even better track separation as the it has 'perfect' I mean perfect sound reproduction once compared to the HD 800. I do recommend you audiophiles to demo the PM-1 before you purchase any other audiophile headphones as the PM-1 is defiantly worth the investment for mixing both at home or at a studio. 
This just shows how setups can change perceptions and views .
It shows just how important it is to own and listen to a headphone for a while before making quick assumptions.
Because in reality it is a rather ridiculous statement you just posted.
But Oh well .. If you say so.
post #152 of 163
I think it's funny that all the people in the PM-1 thread keep saying "don't say negative things if you haven't heard the headphone" when in reality, we are all making comments because we heard them, and everyone saying they are great hasn't actually heard them.
post #153 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

I think it's funny that all the people in the PM-1 thread keep saying "don't say negative things if you haven't heard the headphone" when in reality, we are all making comments because we heard them, and everyone saying they are great hasn't actually heard them.

Funny dat :)  Yes, FWIR they were nice but.....

post #154 of 163
Yeah they were fine, I just thought overpriced. Nothing terribly wrong with them. I respect your opinion since you have heard them, but other people get on my case without even hearing them.
post #155 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

Yeah they were fine, I just thought overpriced. Nothing terribly wrong with them. I respect your opinion since you have heard them, but other people get on my case without even hearing them.

I think the PM-2 may be a bette deal for people not wanting the box or better cable. This cable is occ copper 3M cable that would be about 250,.00 or more from the aftermarket cable companies.  The PM-2 will come with a less expensive cable and synthetic pad. This comes with lambskin pads on the ears and headband plus a good quality velour pair that feels like silk. Most t of that price also went into the woo box.  I think lot of the price went into giving someone the best materials they could and thats why they are an 1100.00 headphone. I like th esound and the cable is really nice as well.I have not AB the pair with the PM-2 because those jhave not be made available but i think that will be the bigger seller because of price.

post #156 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post



This just shows how setups can change perceptions and views .
It shows just how important it is to own and listen to a headphone for a while before making quick assumptions.
Because in reality it is a rather ridiculous statement you just posted.
But Oh well .. If you say so.

 

Can you please stop making assumptions as I've demoed both the HD 800 and the PM-1 late last year side by side for three months on loan with various setups. Next time please ask via PM if your are in doubt with the posters comment and stop assuming that they haven't demoed the said equipment in their post for a long period of time. As for me this post is based on my three month experience with both equipment in various setups.

 

The reason why I have early access to the PM-1 is that I went to Oppo's HQ in China with permmision from the company to test the pre-production version of the PM-1 with the loaner HD 800 (which I brought with me to China) for three months late last year utilizing Oppo's test facilities that they have on site.

post #157 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post

Can you please stop making assumptions as I've demoed both the HD 800 and the PM-1 late last year side by side for three months on loan with various setups. Next time please ask via PM if your are in doubt with the posters comment and stop assuming that they haven't demoed the said equipment in their post for a long period of time. As for me this post is based on my three month experience with both equipment in various setups.

The reason why I have early access to the PM-1 is that I went to Oppo's HQ in China with permmision from the company to test the pre-production version of the PM-1 with the loaner HD 800 (which I brought with me to China) for three months late last year utilizing Oppo's test facilities that they have on site.
Well thank you for clearing that up.
That explains it.
The pre-production was said to have
(Edit: a few versions) a brighter sound.
I whish I owned those(!) As you clearly stated they are brighter and better than the hd800! !!
tongue.gif
Edited by Maxx134 - 4/29/14 at 12:14am
post #158 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post


Well thank you for clearing that up.
That explains it.
The pre-production was said to have
(Edit: a few versions) a brighter sound.
I whish I owned those(!) As you clearly stated they are brighter and better than the hd800! !!
tongue.gif

 

Me too as it costs $1699 Retail at were I'm at. :triportsad: 


Edited by Singleton - 4/29/14 at 12:46am
post #159 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post

Me too... triportsad.gif

I can't understand why but the final production unit I purchased is, to me, just about neutral in trebles from 2kHz and up.
I found it to be on average about 5db less
than the hd800 trebles that I own and which I also consider brighter than neutral.
So your actual evaluation makes me whish it that what I had because I would prefer it.
Edited by Maxx134 - 4/29/14 at 12:47am
post #160 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post


I can't understand why but the final production unit I purchased is, to me, just about neutral in trebles from 2kHz and up.
I found it to be on average about 5db less
than the hd800 trebles that I own and which I also consider brighter than neutral.
So your actual evaluation makes me whish it that what I had because I would prefer it.

Well as you know different people have different ear sensitivity and also they should of kept the settings and specifications of the pre-production version for the production version.


Edited by Singleton - 4/29/14 at 12:54am
post #161 of 163

*sigh* so upset I missed this! I started college again and am in Missouri. This looked like an amazing meet though!

post #162 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

Just to get your opinions, anyone else feel the Oppo PM1 didn't impress? I know I've said it before but I just personally think you have to be pretty nuts to buy the PM1 for $1100.

I understand why some would like it, and I'm not trying to start an argument here, I just am really suprised by the highly favorable review on the front page

 

I listened to the PM-1 over by the Woo Audio Table and I have to be honest and say that I wasn't knocked off my feet... I tried the Audeze LCD-X at the Woo Audio Table and

 

liked those better - I even went and got my Norne Audio cable and Yeah I liked the LCD-X better than the PM-1... I ended up doing a comparison between the LCD-X and the

 

LCD rev2.2  (the PM-1 was out to lunch....)

 

 

 

I even tried the WA7 Fireflies (not to my liking)

 

 

 

I then hot footed it over to the Sennheiser Table and tried the 

 

Balanced HDVD 800 with the HD 800 (Balanced cable)...Nice Nice Very Nice but Warm as Hell... But there was potential there - So I started calculating in my mind

 

 

1) Sennheiser HDVD 800 + HD 800 = $3000  <-- a bit steep and after some research the dac in the HDVD 800 isn't all that...

 

2) Oppo PM-1 + Oppo HA-1 = $2300  <- better price wise but the PM-1 didn't impress like the HD 800's 

 

3) Teac UD-H01 + Schiit Mjolnir + HD 800 = $2000  <- Balanced + Balanced + Balanced = Change to get the Oppo HA-1 (when Silver is available) = More Balanced

 

4) Woo Audio WA6-SE  +  LCD-X = $2500  <- Not Sure If I want to be rolling in tubes (Sofia Sofia!!!) + I already have the LCD rev2.2

 

 

And for good measure after everyone had packed up and things quieted down some I listened again to the Oppo PM-1 (Jude had a pair)... Not sure if they were the same ones over at the Woo Audio Table?:blink:

 

 

 

 

 

(Note: it was being powered by a portable player this time around)

 

 

So nearly 2 months later and lots of additional research did I go for option 1, 2, 3 or 4???

 

I'm not saying anything but a picture is worth a thousand words...or dollars - so here she goes...

 

 

 

 

and yeah those are the Grados from the not so silent auction....

 

So option 3 + not so Silent auction = option 2 (price wise that is! Let's not talk about performance and say we did - Seen???)

 

Now about that change being left over....

 

Peace...:L3000:

post #163 of 163

Hey guys... I'm doing a poll to gauge interest in the next NYC area fall meet. Let me know your thoughts in this thread.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/725291/nyc-area-headphonatics-anonymous-fall-meet-poll

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Head-Fi Meet Impressions, Trade Show Reports, Factory Tours › Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread