Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Just picked up AKG q701's and 363D Sennies. What do I need now soundcard/dac/headphone amp?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just picked up AKG q701's and 363D Sennies. What do I need now soundcard/dac/headphone amp?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hi guys, so I've pretty much bought the two headphones that complete my current audio phase of life.

 

Now as the title of the thread indicates I have the following.

 

i. AKG q701's - Super sale for $250(CAD)

ii. Sennheisers 363D 7.1's for gaming. - Super sale $199(CAD)

 

Now, I've snooped through the forums and the thread I found with my position is kind of the same however he said he was on a budget.

So my question is this.  I have a moderate budget.

 

I am willing to spend some $$$.

 

So far from what I gather I should get a Titanium HD.

 

I have no idea what a DAC is.  Do I need that?  

What about headphone amps?

 

I am an entry level guy looking to get dirty.

 

Also, when I mean $$$ I mean...well I am willing to spend within the $800 region.

 

Thanks guys I have really enjoyed reading the forums the wealth of information has been informing and steered me true every time.

post #2 of 11
I don't know much about the 363Ds. You may find that the Q701s sound just as good for gaming. Save the packaging on the 363Ds in case that is true smily_headphones1.gif

The Q701s can definitely benefit from some extra juice over straight computer audio output. Not sure if the Titanium HD is good to drive them. I would research and ask questions here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I don't know much about the 363Ds. You may find that the Q701s sound just as good for gaming. Save the packaging on the 363Ds in case that is true smily_headphones1.gif

The Q701s can definitely benefit from some extra juice over straight computer audio output. Not sure if the Titanium HD is good to drive them. I would research and ask questions here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread

Ahhh okay!

 

Actually, I got the 363D's because I wanted an extra pair of headphones that I didn't care too much about. 

 

I can leave my akg's at home and let them stay forever gold while my 363d's can be lugged around in a ruck sack and I wouldn't mind because they won't be my 'good' headphones.  They are still great but the akg's are my babies while my senns can be stuffed in a bag.

post #4 of 11
That makes total sense about the Senns smily_headphones1.gif
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thanks Cel greatly appreciate your help!

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus121 View Post

Thanks Cel greatly appreciate your help!

You don't have to thank me. I didn't do anything. Those guys in the Q701 thread can certainly help smily_headphones1.gif
post #7 of 11
If you buy a soundcard, you won't need a DAC. A DAC is essentially a USB soundcard that's optimized for music (whereas the kind of soundcard you install in your computer is more likely to have gaming features such as Dolby Headphone).

A computer soundcard will also have a built-in amp. I'm not sure how good the amp on the Titanium HD. If you buy a USB DAC, you will need a separate amp.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post

If you buy a soundcard, you won't need a DAC. A DAC is essentially a USB soundcard that's optimized for music (whereas the kind of soundcard you install in your computer is more likely to have gaming features such as Dolby Headphone).

A computer soundcard will also have a built-in amp. I'm not sure how good the amp on the Titanium HD. If you buy a USB DAC, you will need a separate amp.

 

Yeah, see all this information overload is getting to me!

 

It's my first time and I'm kinda scared and want to get it right. 

post #9 of 11

If I were you, I'd keep it simple and just buy this: http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/

 

I haven't actually owned this gear, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but the ODAC and O2 are some of the most popular pieces of equipment on this website, so they have to be doing something right. You get a DAC and an amp in one box. All you need. 

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post

If I were you, I'd keep it simple and just buy this: http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/

I haven't actually owned this gear, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but the ODAC and O2 are some of the most popular pieces of equipment on this website, so they have to be doing something right. You get a DAC and an amp in one box. All you need. 

I've owned it. The ODAC/O2 combo will drive the Q701s, and it's a great sounding setup. Most people also seem to feel it is comparable to the Schiitt Modi/Magni stack (or they fight over which is better--lol).

I run the Schiit Asgard 2 and the standalone ODAC together. The Asgard 2 is nice because it has a pre-amp for plugging up powered speakers or a speaker amp. smily_headphones1.gif
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


I've owned it. The ODAC/O2 combo will drive the Q701s, and it's a great sounding setup. Most people also seem to feel it is comparable to the Schiitt Modi/Magni stack (or they fight over which is better--lol).

I run the Schiit Asgard 2 and the standalone ODAC together. The Asgard 2 is nice because it has a pre-amp for plugging up powered speakers or a speaker amp. smily_headphones1.gif

If I pick up the Soundblaster Creative ZXR I won't run into some sort of redundancy issue will I if I get the ODAC/O2 as well?

 

EDIT: I mean, regardless I still need a sound card and the software for the creative zxr seems like a game changer.


Edited by Exodus121 - 4/4/14 at 4:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Just picked up AKG q701's and 363D Sennies. What do I need now soundcard/dac/headphone amp?