or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread - Page 53

post #781 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post
 

Just wrapping up the half of my review for the velour pads, I'll likely have it finished by Sunday, but I'm also adding a section for the leather pads, so next Sunday I should have a full write up. I think I've found a flaw though, which I can not say that I've experienced in any headphone. The mids are rather forward and I find that they sometimes cover up the midbass. I imagine that it's due to the forward mids and neutral bass. 

Which part(s) of the midrange do you find too forward from neutral?

post #782 of 3442

In vocal forward songs I find that the midbass can get lost. That's about my only complaint thus far.

post #783 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by x RELIC x View Post

My finger has been hovering over the +buy button for a few days now. It's between the PM-1 or the LCD-XC. I want a high end closed back, but I'm a sucker for Oppo products for their price performance ratio, and the sound seems to be just what I'm looking for (not to mention the comfort). Any impressions/comparisons with these two? My trigger finger is itchy!

Price is not the deciding factor.
Is your head strong enough for hell's bells
post #784 of 3442

The problem with Head-Fi is that when a really solid product comes out and people love it instantly, it's dismissed as hype.  I can tell you right now this is not hype for me, I'm quite confident of my opinions of these.  

 

These do not feel overdriven by my Bryston amp compared to how Edition 8's, K812s, and other sensitive cans are.  They seem to like the power although they don't need to be cranked as high as LCD3, they don't get unpleasant and shouty at louder volumes, they're like Audeze in that regard - that their sound just gets louder in a linear manner without suddenly hitting some point where they start sounding unrefined.  

post #785 of 3442

I also love how techradar says these headphones are "not that pretty". Uh....

 

post #786 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermafia View Post
 

The problem with Head-Fi is that when a really solid product comes out and people love it instantly, it's dismissed as hype.  I can tell you right now this is not hype for me, I'm quite confident of my opinions of these.  

 

These do not feel overdriven by my Bryston amp compared to how Edition 8's, K812s, and other sensitive cans are.  They seem to like the power although they don't need to be cranked as high as LCD3, they don't get unpleasant and shouty at louder volumes, they're like Audeze in that regard - that their sound just gets louder in a linear manner without suddenly hitting some point where they start sounding unrefined.  

 

Nice now we maybe can get some insight on how they sound compered to LCD 3. Looking forward to your thought.

post #787 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

[snip]

Nothing sounds bad thru this unit so far..(!)
Haven't gone thru much break in period yet either..

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermafia View Post
 

I'm on the same page Maxx.  These cans can do no wrong.  

 

:beerchug:
post #788 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

As long as the pm2 also comes with a pair of velours...
As far as comfort,
The shape and feel of the leather is quite impressive as it does not get hot.

It feels better than the AlphaPads I had on another unit.

It feels softer and larger than the pads on my ultrasone ed8 and Sony 7520..

It feels better than the best pads I ever felt, (due also in part to weight) which were the Sony 1r pads.


I am guessing the velours are another step up in comfort, but haven't tried yet.

I am also guessing that if the "spectral decay" measurement mentioned earlier, is any true,
it could be intentional..

Because it is a contradictory thinking to realize its has resolution in range of an hd800 while still being forgiving to music..
Maybe this is a trait the audeze have?

Anyway I just get the impression that my hd800 are clear, detailed and unforgiving...
A visual would be as ice.

While these are clear, detailed, and involving.
A visual would be as honey..
Yet not as thick! Lol
smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Maxx134 - 4/17/14 at 11:46am
post #789 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I'm interested to hear from those who own it, what amps are working well. Possibly stronger desktop amps don't work well. 


I'm using a Schiit Lyr and Uber Bifrost with them  for two days now and I can say truthfully that, even out of the box they are exceptional headphones.   Yesterday I had them on for almost eight hours without ANY fatigue!   The Lyr and BF combo with the PM-1's are a formidable trio.   Smooth, non taxing high frequencies sing without any harshness.  Massed strings from the symphony  are pure and absolutely accurate.   (DSD recording of Mahler 7th Symphony)    Cassandra Wilsons "Another Country"  album   (96/24) was  holographic.  Terrific!   The PM's took on the Lyr's power stoically and with finesse, never loosing it's cool once.   Superb!   I have a xlr cable for the PM-1 coming on loan so I can use my Mjolnir  again as that is my main rig.  If anyone is interested I will report on that combination as well.   

Hope this is has been helpful.

post #790 of 3442

Where'd you get the balanced cable for the PM-1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor34 View Post
 


I'm using a Schiit Lyr and Uber Bifrost with them  for two days now and I can say truthfully that, even out of the box they are exceptional headphones.   Yesterday I had them on for almost eight hours without ANY fatigue!   The Lyr and BF combo with the PM-1's are a formidable trio.   Smooth, non taxing high frequencies sing without any harshness.  Massed strings from the symphony  are pure and absolutely accurate.   (DSD recording of Mahler 7th Symphony)    Cassandra Wilsons "Another Country"  album   (96/24) was  holographic.  Terrific!   The PM's took on the Lyr's power stoically and with finesse, never loosing it's cool once.   Superb!   I have a xlr cable for the PM-1 coming on loan so I can use my Mjolnir  again as that is my main rig.  If anyone is interested I will report on that combination as well.   

Hope this is has been helpful.

Where did you get the balanced cable for the PM-1?

 

As for me, the PM-1s are playing very well with my Headamp GS-X mk2 and Ayre QB-9 DSD.  And I agree, out of the box they sound great. No 8 hour marathons for me yet, but I can tell that they won't bring on fatigue like I get with my HD800s.  More impressions to come as I get more quality time with the Oppos.

post #791 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post
 

Where'd you get the balanced cable for the PM-1?

Where did you get the balanced cable for the PM-1?

 

As for me, the PM-1s are playing very well with my Headamp GS-X mk2 and Ayre QB-9 DSD.  And I agree, out of the box they sound great. No 8 hour marathons for me yet, but I can tell that they won't bring on fatigue like I get with my HD800s.  More impressions to come as I get more quality time with the Oppos.


You can probably get a balanced cable from Peter at doublehelixcables.com

post #792 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor34 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I'm interested to hear from those who own it, what amps are working well. Possibly stronger desktop amps don't work well. 


I'm using a Schiit Lyr and Uber Bifrost with them  for two days now and I can say truthfully that, even out of the box they are exceptional headphones.   Yesterday I had them on for almost eight hours without ANY fatigue!   The Lyr and BF combo with the PM-1's are a formidable trio.   Smooth, non taxing high frequencies sing without any harshness.  Massed strings from the symphony  are pure and absolutely accurate.   (DSD recording of Mahler 7th Symphony)    Cassandra Wilsons "Another Country"  album   (96/24) was  holographic.  Terrific!   The PM's took on the Lyr's power stoically and with finesse, never loosing it's cool once.   Superb!   I have a xlr cable for the PM-1 coming on loan so I can use my Mjolnir  again as that is my main rig.  If anyone is interested I will report on that combination as well.   

Hope this is has been helpful.

Just curious which tubes you use with Lyr?
post #793 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post


Just curious which tubes you use with Lyr?


6N1P's.   :smile:    

post #794 of 3442
My favorite but not commonly popular
post #795 of 3442

People loving the PM-1 is great. I mean people love Audeze too and this little guy seems to give them a good run for their money. Also, it is good that Oppo managed to do very well on their first try!

Then there are us folks who are looking more at a pure neutral rather than warmish neutral. Different ears, different taste.

There are few headphones who do that right and admittedly you can't avoid a teeny bit of fatigue most of the time. But these headphones that manage to go there, from one extreme in the low range to the other extreme in the high range, while still sounding very clear are a treat to behold for my ears.

 

Again, all subjective and all down to the taste. I'd certainly love to see Oppo compared to something other than Audeze, something more neutral or bright and see how they fare. :popcorn: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread