or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread - Page 224

post #3346 of 3382

hello guys

 

i went to shop and auditioned so many headphones

 

1- lcd x

2- hifiman he1000

3- audeze lcd3

4- nigthawk

5- oppo pm2

6- oppo pm3

7- oppo pm1

 

and i chose oppo pm1 as i wanted one that sounds great out of the ak380, and i was really really loving what i heard and i told the store owner after oppo pm1 i can not buy anything else as it was exactly the sound sig i loved

 

i have few questions if anyone can help in answering

 

1- how many of you use it with an amp, i am running it from ak380, i am thinking of buying the ak380 amp

2- in regards to pads, are there any other pads other than the stock that are bigger and thicker that fit the pm1, id like to have a better clamping force 

3- can anyone please summarize what the difference between pads are in relation to sound signatures, which has the most bass

4- i am using an audeze 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and its not good quality as it keeps cutting of the sound from any slight movement, can you please link me to a good connector from ebay

5- cables, any significant difference between cables, i love warmth and bass and i do not like cables that make sound sibilant and makes a loss in bass, and if there is a balanced cable as well to use with ak380

 

i simply love my oppo pm1 what an amazing headphone


Edited by Sound Eq - 1/6/16 at 8:51am
post #3347 of 3382

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/scrumptious-oppo-digital-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphone

post #3348 of 3382

I just got an Oppo PM-1 , wonderful headphones, but there seems to be a significant difference between the "looseness' of the cups: One side moves freely in it's aluminium frame, without a hint of play or noise, while the other has noticeable play, acompanied by a metallic rattling sound when moved around. The 'loose" earcup also moves further: coming to a stop only when the plug hits the frame, wile the other side stops a few mm before that happens.

 

It seems a bit out of place in such a meticulously contructed headphone, anyone else notice something like it?

post #3349 of 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Guy View Post

I just got an Oppo PM-1 , wonderful headphones, but there seems to be a significant difference between the "looseness' of the cups: One side moves freely in it's aluminium frame, without a hint of play or noise, while the other has noticeable play, acompanied by a metallic rattling sound when moved around. The 'loose" earcup also moves further: coming to a stop only when the plug hits the frame, wile the other side stops a few mm before that happens.

It seems a bit out of place in such a meticulously contructed headphone, anyone else notice something like it?

Mine are complete precision.
If purchased from Oppo, I would contact them immediately (if you haven't already).
Their customer service is outstanding.
post #3350 of 3382

Thanks for the reply!

 

The store will exchange them, hopefully I get to keep them untill they receive a new pair form the distributor.

post #3351 of 3382

Got a brand new pair, much better! It wasn't a huge problem, but it really detracted from what is otherwise probably the best built headphone ever.

 

One more question: Does anyone else get the idea that the headband is actually pleather? The earpads smell like real leather, but the headband on both PM-1's I had smelled exactly like the pleather on some other headphones. (I think it reminds me most of the Denon AH-D7000 pleather pads when new). My wife even commented she detects a 'chemical" smell on my hair after I've worn them for a while, not something you'd associate with leather. It also appears to feel different than the earpads.

It could ofcourse be that the smell comes from the foam used underneath, and I'm just imagening the difference in texture.


Edited by The Dutch Guy - 2/7/16 at 2:04pm
post #3352 of 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Guy View Post
 

Got a brand new pair, much better! It wasn't a huge problem, but it really detracted from what is otherwise probably the best built headphone ever.

 

One more question: Does anyone else get the idea that the headband is actually pleather? The earpads smell like real leather, but the headband on both PM-1's I had smelled exactly like the pleather on some other headphones. (I think it reminds me most of the Denon AH-D7000 pleather pads when new). My wife even commented she detects a 'chemical" smell on my hair after I've worn them for a while, not something you'd associate with leather. It also appears to feel different than the earpads.

It could ofcourse be that the smell comes from the foam used underneath, and I'm just imagening the difference in texture.


Congrats on the New(er) pair. Glad Oppo was able to take care of you promptly...as if there was any doubt that they wouldn't :cool:

 

As for the headband material, the PM-1's are definitely fine lambskin and oh so soft and subtle to the touch.

 

I use the perforated ear pads on mine and i believe the padding material is just a tad bit stiffer than on the headband.

 

Comparing them to my PM-3's, which i believe is synthetic material but also almost equally as plush as the PM-1. To the touch (and sight) it's very difficult to tell the difference between the two materials, (GREAT JOB, OPPO!), but you can feel safe in knowing that Oppo spared no expense in offering the finest materials in your PM-1.

 

Cheers 

post #3353 of 3382
Crowd Wisdom?

I will get to the point: over the past year or two, I've sold off my ATH-W1000X, HD650 and finally, after realizing there are much more comfortable planar, my HE-5LE.

I have the HD700 and PM-3 currently on hand but I intend to return them and buy a single flagship. Because comfort is a big concern, I've narrowed the field to HD800 and PM-1 or PM-2 with leather or velour pads.

I really like the spaciousness and wide sound stage I heard during an HD800 audition, but their reputation for being unforgiving less-than-stellar recordings concerns me. I don't want to limit my listening to the Chesky and Mapleshade catalogs, if you catch my meaning.

The PM-1/ HA-1 combo seemed like a no brainer after hearing the PM-3 and reading positive reviews, but I am deterred by descriptions that knock its narrow sound stage.

I've been around head-fi long enough to know most folks here never find that "one and done" headphone.

But I know from personal experience that it's possible to silence the new headphones jones for at least a few years.

So, fellow addicts, what would you do if you suddenly found your headphone cupboard bare and had $2,000 lying around to replenish it with one solid setup?

- PM-1 and HA-1
- PM-2 with pad upgrade and HA-1
- HD800 with existing LDMKIV and Objective 2 amps

Existing sources: CA DacMagic, Onkyo C-5VL SACD player, Marantz CD5004, IOS devices streaming Apple Music
post #3354 of 3382

Slightly different from your choices

 

HD800S. Try it with your LDMKIV first, you might like the combo. You can also check the Feliks Audio Elise amp - I've read good things with this amp and HD800 (the S version is supposedly more forgiving and solved the 6kHz peak.) 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread

 

There are more amps choices but will require more $$$. :)

 

Note - I currently own HD800 and PM-2 (and PM-3 as well.)

post #3355 of 3382
Thanks, Arnold. Postal gods willing, I will have an HD800 and PM-2 by the weekend, along with the HD700 I've had since last week (talk about a head-fi relapse!).
post #3356 of 3382

So many headphones, so little time. :D

 

I'm sure you will have a blast this weekend! 

post #3357 of 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood1030 View Post
 


Congrats on the New(er) pair. Glad Oppo was able to take care of you promptly...as if there was any doubt that they wouldn't :cool:

 

As for the headband material, the PM-1's are definitely fine lambskin and oh so soft and subtle to the touch.

 

I use the perforated ear pads on mine and i believe the padding material is just a tad bit stiffer than on the headband.

 

Comparing them to my PM-3's, which i believe is synthetic material but also almost equally as plush as the PM-1. To the touch (and sight) it's very difficult to tell the difference between the two materials, (GREAT JOB, OPPO!), but you can feel safe in knowing that Oppo spared no expense in offering the finest materials in your PM-1.

 

Cheers 


Thanks for the input!

 

Really love the PM-1 , I auditioned the PM-2's and decided that if you are going to pay crazy money for a pair of headphones , you might as well do it right. The build quality is probably the best I've seen (I've owned Sony MDR-R10's which surpass them in some areas, but not in many), and the sound quality is wonderful: Some of the other high end headphones might surpass them in detail and impress more with audiophile recordings, but the Oppo's shine when listening to 99% of regular recordings.

I think i like the "standard" leather earpads most, they also appear slightly thicker and firmer compared to the "alternative" pads. (I also love the fact they included all 3 pairs, the velours pads are probably going to be very comfortable during summer)


Edited by The Dutch Guy - 2/10/16 at 4:32pm
post #3358 of 3382

Anyone pairing PM-1 with dekstop tube amp here? :o

post #3359 of 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post
 

Anyone pairing PM-1 with dekstop tube amp here? :o

Yes, I am using them with my WA5-LE and WireWorld Nano Platinum cable with great results.

post #3360 of 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post
 

Yes, I am using them with my WA5-LE and WireWorld Nano Platinum cable with great results.


Agree with this, actually the only desktop tube amp I'm familiar with is Woo Audio family, have tried several models, and WA5 is best of the bunch for PM-1.

 

I'm a bit more curious about the other brand out there :o

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread