Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread - Page 164

post #2446 of 3071

I am much more impressed by Tyll's article than the actual headphones... From the measurements, I guess they sound like HD650 or LCD-2 rev1, right (=> hopelessly warm)?

post #2447 of 3071

He replaced the LCD2 with the Oppo because of better ergonomics etc.  He said he was hesitant to put them on the wall of fame for sound quality alone, even though he admits they match his personal bias for a sound signature.

post #2448 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

He replaced the LCD2 with the Oppo because of better ergonomics etc.  He said he was hesitant to put them on the wall of fame for sound quality alone, even though he admits they match his personal bias for a sound signature.

That is not the only reason he gave. There was that, plus he liked the sound a little better, the build quality, the lighter weight, the comfort, the efficiency, and the portability.
post #2449 of 3071

Hence etc.  :)

post #2450 of 3071
Ugh I was hoping Tyll would dislike them. This makes my decision even harder
post #2451 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyf1312 View Post

Ugh I was hoping Tyll would dislike them. This makes my decision even harder

 

This headphone just about fits exactly what Tyll likes :p  Softer, more subdued treble, but not too subdued and very linear in nature... 

post #2452 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash676 View Post
 

 

I've let them run overnight for two nights, re-seated the earpads, and fiddled quite a bit with how they were sitting on my head before sitting down and listening to them for an extended period of time.  They do seem to have more bass than during my preliminary listening, but I still feel they're lacking in "oomph" at the very lowest frequencies.  In a few movies I've tried and even in a few songs, some of the very lowest frequency content is entirely inaudible.  Things get better when the volume is cranked but this puts the volume way past my preferred listening level.  The dull thud is less of an issue than before, after significant listening with various recordings it seems that it's limited to a narrower band of frequencies as the low bass transitions into the mid bass.

 

I certainly don't think the bass is "flat" as others have mentioned, I think it's down several dB at 20 Hz relative to 100 Hz.


I've tried finding info on the headphone output of my receiver in the past without luck.  I was interested in whether the headphone output had its own amplifier or if it was using the main amps stepped down for a headphone.  My speculation is that the impedance is relatively high because it significantly alters the sound of my Shure IEMs (9 ohm) though my Sennheisers (16 ohm) seem mostly unaffected.  Part of my interest in the PM-1's was that the purely resistive impedance was supposed to make them resistant to this.  I've used them directly from my iPhone as well as a PC and they sound pretty much identical out of every device.

 

I find this all very unfortunate because I like every other aspect of the PM-1's sound as well as the look, quality, and comfort.  I definitely want a headphone that's planar magnetic so I don't have many options.  I'm still going back and forth on whether or not to return these.  My biggest concern is returning them only to demo other headphones and find that I liked the PM-1 more.

 

Sounds like you want a bassier planar magnetic, probably with with a higher impedance.  That puts you into the LCD2 range if you can handle the weight of them ( I cant personally).  Might I suggest returning the PM-1, trying a used LCD2 (should be plentiful), and if you don't like that move back to the PM-2 which should be coming out soon.  Possible a PITA around returns and sales but my bet is you wouldn't lose any money.

 

And if the PM-1s aren't meeting the needs of your set up, they're probably not worth the price of keeping them.

post #2453 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyf1312 View Post

That's a huge deal for me that he knocked the LCD-2.2 off the wall of fame for these. I wonder if it was overall sound quality or more because they are similar enough to where the pm-1 wins based on ergonomics and comfort. Really hard for me to decide between the two. :/

 

My impression from Tyll's commentary is that the Oppo PM-1 didn't really "knock" the LCD 2.2s off the Wall of Fame, it's more like they were baaaaaaarely nudged out. Very very close race. Someone using a different set of "scoring weights" (higher on technical SQ, lower on long-term listenability and comfort) might easily prefer the LCD 2.2s. 

 

I can't wait for a Tyll review of the HifiMan HE-560s as another comparison.

post #2454 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Hence etc.  smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry, I missed the "etc" in my first read.
Just to add though, I'm not sure why he can't just put both of them on his HoF since there are others there that are similarly priced too.
I don't own the LCD2 and can't comment on it in that manner, but it does say a heck of a lot for the PM-1 when Tyll gives them that dedication.
post #2455 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
 

I can't wait for a Tyll review of the HifiMan HE-560s as another comparison.

 

HE 560s are a very different beast than the PM-1s, seem night and day & not apt to a close comparison like the LCD2s.

 

I think my fantasy death match will be the revised HE560s with the treble back in control v. a PM-2, revised with the treble extended.  I am anxiously waiting both cans.

post #2456 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyf1312 View Post

That's a huge deal for me that he knocked the LCD-2.2 off the wall of fame for these. I wonder if it was overall sound quality or more because they are similar enough to where the pm-1 wins based on ergonomics and comfort. Really hard for me to decide between the two. :/

My impression from Tyll's commentary is that the Oppo PM-1 didn't really "knock" the LCD 2.2s off the Wall of Fame, it's more like they were baaaaaaarely nudged out. Very very close race. Someone using a different set of "scoring weights" (higher on technical SQ, lower on long-term listenability and comfort) might easily prefer the LCD 2.2s. 

I can't wait for a Tyll review of the HifiMan HE-560s as another comparison.

Sure. That certainly makes sense, and even yet another factor is that all human ears and hearing is different.
That is why it's so important to be able to compare the sound for yourself and buy the ones you prefer.
Of course that is always easier said than done. At least Oppo does have their no hassle 30 day return policy. Don't know what Audeze's return policy is.
post #2457 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogodei View Post

HE 560s are a very different beast than the PM-1s, seem night and day & not apt to a close comparison like the LCD2s.

I think my fantasy death match will be the revised HE560s with the treble back in control v. a PM-2, revised with the treble extended.  I am anxiously waiting both cans.

+1

Listening to a revised HE-560 and a PM-1 from the same amp at THE Show Newport a couple of weekends back, they are very different animals.
post #2458 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Sure. That certainly makes sense, and even yet another factor is that all human ears and hearing is different.
That is why it's so important to be able to compare the sound for yourself and buy the ones you prefer.
Of course that is always easier said than done. At least Oppo does have their no hassle 30 day return policy. Don't know what Audeze's return policy is.

It's a %15 restocking fee which is pretty substantial for many.
post #2459 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

NOTES from my first audition of the Oppo PM-1, excerpted from the Martin Logan Mikros 90 thread:

 

I initially strapped on the Oppos with negative bias and concordant expectation based on some of the reviews I had read beforehand, but by the end of the [long] evening and about 20 discs later, I had a difficult time taking them off and putting them away.

 

I listened to the PM-1 almost exclusively with the velour pads.  A warmer, fuller [and somewhat meeker] sound with the velour- versus the lambskin pads, IMHE.

 

Preliminary a/b versus Mikros 90 [Yes. I realize that the MLs are closed portables.] :wink:

The Mikros 90 certainly held their own, but the decisive point came when I started playing older '70s recordings.  The MLs were less forgiving than the Oppos [and/or not as well matched with the Lehmann BCL].  However, with the Oppos "forgiving" was not synonymous with syrupy/euphonic, bland or homogeneous.  The PM-1 presented these recordings with remarkable deftness, clarity, resolution, and a disarming ease.  This phenonenon reminded me of my first foray with the Denon AH-D2000: older "classic" rock and pop recordings, rather than sounding harsh or thin, sounded musically rich and well-recorded.  [The PM-1 resolve appreciably better than do the D2K, BTW].

 

PM-1 bass: rounded, warm and liquidy, with a judicious measure of midbass weight and lick, excellent micro-dynamic texture and good reach [though ultimately not as dense, percussive and cavernous as the Mikros 90]. 

 

PM-1 midrange: pure, refined, detailed--nuanced in its resolution--and [again] liquidy. 

     [The PM-1 emphasis is on refinement, while the Mikros 90 emphasis is on candor--a more "stark" (but with a positive spin) sort of clarity--with a bolder front and more overall midrange musculature/"carry".  I realize that this is an odd observation, given the fact that the PM-1 are themselves "midrange-forward" in character. But this may be due to the ML's well-integrated treble edge which lends to the Mikros 90's more even-handed--and excellent in its own right--midrange advance.]

 

PM-1 treble: delicate, refined, nuanced and smooth--for me "smooth" does not connote a muffled or blunted treble; "effortless" or "easy" might be a more apt descriptor here.

     [The Mikros 90 have a more rawly energetic/vivacious treble, which seems to better support/carry musical passages rhythmically, at least for me].

 

Some additional [treble] commentary:

The Mikros 90 [Stock Pair #3/opened May 2014, w/HeadphoneLounge UPOCC copper litz re-cable] better suit my listening tastes with respect to their high frequency presentation and dynamic/ambient reach, but I was able nonetheless to make the adjustment to the PM-1's "golden mean" or "optimal modicum" way of keeping practically everything intricately balanced.  I would not classify the Oppos as "rolled off" in the treble per se, as-in "lacking extension" or as-in "lacking detail", but I would describe them as being reticent/reserved in the upper reaches, yet all-the-while remaining highly resolving and remarkably refined.

 

Given my longstanding predilection for an "airy" and treble-leaning [many would call it a "bright"] sound, this is precisely where I feared--based on those negative facets of the reviews that stayed in my mind--the PM-1 would grossly disappoint me.  But I am glad [and, frankly, surprised] to find myself truly enjoying the Oppo's treble response, even though it is neither what I expected nor even what I thought I would otherwise have preferred: a welcome serendipity!

 

PRaT:  The Mikros 90 get the clear edge in this department, the MLs offering a more robust, sinewy and straightforward dynamic attack.  I really enjoy these unassuming little closed, portable gems!

 

At any rate, I think I could live with the Oppos for a while.  They are a worthy full-sized, open complement to the Mikros 90, and the first set of planars that have really managed to turn my head in quite some time.

 

ok...for a while...then get back to the Mikros thread,

or face the disciplinary board. :P

 

The front view of the oppo looks like a hd650 at a glance. nice !

post #2460 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyf1312 View Post


It's a %15 restocking fee which is pretty substantial for many.

 

We do not charge restocking fees, and if you are in North America, we cover the return freight as well. So the only thing you lose out on as a direct sales customer is the original shipping fee.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread