Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread - Page 139

post #2071 of 3071

So many headphones............and none of them are perfect..................what a shame!

post #2072 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

a $1000K+ headphone
JPS Abyss v2? cool.gif
post #2073 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post
 

 

$250 for sound quality (personally, I'd take the $350 HD600 over it). $100 for fine leather, aluminum (isn't all aluminum which ends up on a headphone machined?), and a cherry veened box probably made in China which will end up in storage (just like my SR-009 and Abyss boxes)

 

Makes perfect sense. PM-1 is comfy though with a great form factor. +$50. OK. $400.

 

The other argument is that nothing really makes sense in this hobby. The pricing of the Abyss makes no sense either. But then again maybe it does make sense because there's no other ortho I prefer over it. But then again, it's pretty stupid because we get a lot of good stuff for $5K. Then again maybe not, after all, Porsche Caymans with a modicum of options are crazy expensive, not to mention the 911.


so you prefer the pm-1 versus the he-560...

post #2074 of 3071

HE-560 is not perfect with slight stridency issues when turned up loud and with certain recordings, but overall HE-560 >> PM-1, particularly as one moves on to more resolving (not necessarily the same as more expensive) DACs and amps. HE-560 actually sound is most similar (not same) to Abyss. I think of the HE-560 as an Abyss "lite".

post #2075 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

So many headphones............and none of them are perfect..................what a shame!

I think the caveat is that all ears are different. wink.gif
What one person hears is not the same as another, so the debate on what sounds best never ends.
This is why to me, it is very important to hear what any HP sounds like hands on.
Forum impressions, measurements, reviews get you to a certain point, but the rest is a personal choice.

Having said that, I think the PM-1 are very neutral/natural sounding that helps reproduce the audio exactly how it was recorded and/or produced in any given format.
That can also be true for many other headphones too (unless of course like some people, they prefer a "colored" sound).
However with Oppo, you really do get so much more from them in the fact that they are dedicated to giving the very best product they can to consumers,
along with superb build quality, top notch customer and warranty support, and the drive to make their customers happy, because let's face it,
none of this stuff is a need, it's all about emotional gratification, and ultimately (even though rarely talked about) how the music makes us feel.
Oppo cares about the same things their customers care about, and that is what makes them so awesome.
Yes they are a business that makes profit from their products, but thus far after using their products for many years,
I have never seen them put that fact above their customers. smily_headphones1.gif
post #2076 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

none of this stuff is a need, it's all about emotional gratification, and ultimately (even though rarely talked about) how the music makes us feel.
 

 

To be totally honest, the PM-1 doesn't make me feel anything. That more than anything else is really... truly... is what bugs me about the PM-1. We can talk about FR, distortion, dynamics, resolution, etc. but the PM-1 just sounds really dead and boring to me. I mean there's nothing seriously technically wrong with it, but the PM-1 is like a good looking woman who just doesn't excite me.

 

Think Nicole Kidman. She's beautiful. Nothing wrong with her features, but I just don't get hard over her. Different strokes for different folks. Kind of like Natalie Portman. A buddy of mine think's she's hot. I don't because she reminds me of my daughter (I still think of her as the little girl from The Professional). My buddy and I both agreed that Mila Kunas is hot though.

 

I just thought I should mention those things because you are right: it's about how music makes us feel.

post #2077 of 3071

PM-1 owners (and I currently am one) need to get thicker skin and have greater confidence in their own impressions. I also own the HD-800. That thing gets bashed all the time. Much worse, in fact, than the PM-1. But I don't care. In fact, a lot of the bashing is amusing. So, PM-1 owners, don't disengage. Read both the good and the bad. You will learn something, and probably even laugh a little.

post #2078 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

none of this stuff is a need, it's all about emotional gratification, and ultimately (even though rarely talked about) how the music makes us feel.

 

To be totally honest, the PM-1 doesn't make me feel anything. That more than anything else is really... truly... what bugs me about the PM-1. We can talk about FR, distortion, dynamics, resolution, etc. but the PM-1 just sounds really dead and boring to me. I mean there's nothing seriously technically wrong with it, but the PM-1 just like a good looking woman who just doesn't excite me.

Think Nicole Kidman. She's beautiful. Nothing wrong with her features, but I just don't get hard over her. Different strokes for different folks. Kind of like Natalie Portman. A buddy of mine think's she's hot. I don't because she reminds me of my daughter (I still think of her as the little girl from The Professional). My buddy and I both agreed that Mila Kunas is hot though.

I just thought I should mention those things because you are right: it's about how music makes us feel.

LMAO, I agree about Kidman. Not sure why some guys go apesh!t for her, kinda boring. LOL
Seriously though, in the vast world of audio intoxication, I think we sometimes get caught up in all of the comparisons, trying different gear, trying different combinations,
tweaking tweaking tweaking, always the hunt for that perfect sound.
Then when there is something so natural and neutral, it may just sound boring and lifeless compared to the array of "color" in so many other devices.
That may very well be what you could be feeling(?) I have seen comments from other PM-1 owners, and they very specifically said, they were just kind of confused about what they were hearing with the PM-1.
Yes they could hear all the dynamics and such, but they couldn't say they really liked the sound until... they listened more and more, and got used to the neutrality and naturalness of the sound,
and some of those people are now ones that say they LOVE the PM-1... but of course that isn't everyone. "Different stokes for different folks" is definitely true and a phrase I use often too.
post #2079 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post
 

 

To be totally honest, the PM-1 doesn't make me feel anything. That more than anything else is really... truly... is what bugs me about the PM-1. We can talk about FR, distortion, dynamics, resolution, etc. but the PM-1 just sounds really dead and boring to me. I mean there's nothing seriously technically wrong with it, but the PM-1 is like a good looking woman who just doesn't excite me.

 

Think Nicole Kidman. She's beautiful. Nothing wrong with her features, but I just don't get hard over her. Different strokes for different folks. Kind of like Natalie Portman. A buddy of mine think's she's hot. I don't because she reminds me of my daughter (I still think of her as the little girl from The Professional). My buddy and I both agreed that Mila Kunas is hot though.

 

I just thought I should mention those things because you are right: it's about how music makes us feel.

Hey Purrin, I guess we have different taste because I think both are hot specially Natalie. :beerchug: 

post #2080 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post
 

Has anybody compared the PM-1 sound out of a tube amplifier versus a SS amplifier? I am curious if other people hear the same as I do.

IMO the PM-1 sound better out of a SS amp. I don't know if it is just my perception or due to its low impedance or what.

I replaced my driver tubes tonight and now they sound great as they do with the SS amplifier.:ksc75smile:

post #2081 of 3071

I leave for one day and you guys managed to generate 99 new posts? How am I supposed to keep up?

 

So, other than Purrin not being in love (which is perfectly fine, of course), what did I miss?

post #2082 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad-E-Ginathom View Post
 

 

Say you wanted to focus on a bass-guitar melody line, would you choose PM-1 or HD650 for that?

 

What I have in mind is, for instance, JJ Cale's Clyde, or, for much "thicker" music, perhaps something from the Grateful Dead, but I don't have a specific track in mind.

 

If you say "focus", from the point of view of listening analytically, I'd choose the PM1s.   But if you want to immerse yourself in the music, then the HD650s.     The bass will have more heft and body with the HD650s.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiolic View Post
 


this is so stupid..

 

any sound producing chain should reproduce the recording has it is and not ADD|remove anything to it..

 

if there is reverb the sound.. it should be in the recording not in the phone.

 

Oh FFS.  Here we go again.   Since you used the term "stupid", let me give you an Idiots Guide to help you figure things out.

 

Concerts are miked very close to the instruments compared to where listeners sit.   I'll leave it for you as an exercise to figure out the drop-off in sound levels for the sound coming off the chamber (hint - room acoustics are present in a much smaller proportion).   Now figure out how that same recording sounds when played back in a room (with your room affected the sound) and from a headphone.    Do you really think a flat output transfer function is going to provide the same perceived sound for both speaker playback and headphone playback?     

 

As for whether someone prefers accurate reproduction of the recording (although see my earlier point above) or something which more closely represent reality, I am not sure who died and made you arbiter of how things should be.If you think that the max fidelity to the recording - with all its imperfections - is the holy grail for you, by all means do so.   You dont see me calling you "stupid" (although I'd be happy to tell you EXACTLY what i think of this, were this a different forum).   So do me a favor and extend me the same courtesy.      

 

I dont give a damn about what is in the recording - i care for a sound that most closely approaches the live concert.   I know what a live concert sounds like and i trust my ears when it comes to deciding what sounds more real.    If you have a problem with that, well, tough.   I am sure it is deeply disturbing to you, but try to avoid passing irrelevant commentary on someone else's preferences?   I have put my bias out there very clearly to help you interpret my facts - my bias itself is not subject to discussion.   I've honed my preferences over 20 years of listening to high-end audio and some random anonymous guy on a forum parroting the Objectivist 101 line doesnt really register too much.

post #2083 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post
 

 

$250 for sound quality (personally, I'd take the $350 HD600 over it). $100 for fine penis-skin leather, aluminum (isn't all aluminum which ends up on a headphone machined?), and a cherry veened box probably made in China which will end up in storage (just like my SR-009 and Abyss boxes)

 

Makes perfect sense. PM-1 is comfy though with a great form factor. +$50. OK. $400.

 

With the Oppos, you ARE paying a premium for the R&D that has led to the greater sensitivity and lighter weight.    Even on a forum focused on SQ, that still should matter.

 

I used to be a nature/wildlife photographer.    Most people who attended my beginner workshops used to worry about finding the sharpest lens or the camera with the best image quality - they'd spend ages and ages poring over the specs and pixel peeping.    However, most people who were doing wildlife photography for a while - including me - cared more for the ergonomics of the camera, the ease of carrying equipment, etc.   The rational was - when you are lugging 2 big telephotos and 2 big bodies around all day, fatigue plays a big role.  If you are tired, you arent as sharp as seeing shorts or responding to an opportunity.

 

Yes, we all want the ultimate in SQ.   But big amps and half a kilo of weight do limit our ability to enjoy some of the TOTL amps - I for one love my LCDs but i cannot travel with them and while i can manage a few hours with them on my head, not everyone can.   A lighter and easier-to-drive high-end headphone - esp one with all the good points of the Oppo - allows us to enjoy music in more circumstances and for longer.    That is very relevant.

post #2084 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

With the Oppos, you ARE paying a premium for the R&D that has led to the greater sensitivity and lighter weight.    Even on a forum focused on SQ, that still should matter.

 

I used to be a nature/wildlife photographer.    Most people who attended my beginner workshops used to worry about finding the sharpest lens or the camera with the best image quality - they'd spend ages and ages poring over the specs and pixel peeping.    However, most people who were doing wildlife photography for a while - including me - cared more for the ergonomics of the camera, the ease of carrying equipment, etc.   The rational was - when you are lugging 2 big telephotos and 2 big bodies around all day, fatigue plays a big role.  If you are tired, you arent as sharp as seeing shorts or responding to an opportunity.

 

Yes, we all want the ultimate in SQ.   But big amps and half a kilo of weight do limit our ability to enjoy some of the TOTL amps - I for one love my LCDs but i cannot travel with them and while i can manage a few hours with them on my head, not everyone can.   A lighter and easier-to-drive high-end headphone - esp one with all the good points of the Oppo - allows us to enjoy music in more circumstances and for longer.    That is very relevant.

 

 

I agree with this. After owning a pair of HE-500s for a couple years now,  I need something more comfortable (comfort is a huge thing for me) and more portable. I'm sorry but I don't like having "portable" amps and dacs because I've found they are just clunky and stupid looking in public (my opinion) so something that's really easy to drive and can sound great on just my iphone is really, really interesting to me.

I think I'm gonna just buy the oppos and try them. Can't go wrong with the 30 day return policy...

post #2085 of 3071

If you like the HE-500s, definitely put the HE-560 on your to try list in addition to the PM-1. The HE-560 is just as comfortable, maybe even a bit moreso.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread