Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread - Page 111

post #1651 of 3071

Well, I left them playing overnight just to kick a little of the new dust off the drivers. I put on a favorite Sunday morning recording of mine and it just sounds divine. I've probably said 100 times here that I'd never sell my hd650. It is after all the ONE thing I've bought and never sold. I may have to eat those words. :o  

 

The pm-1 is better at every turn than the hd650, with the possible exception of comfort and even that is very close. I'd give the hd650 a 9.5 on comfort (hd800 gets a 10). The pm-1 gets a 9.0 on comfort due to being slightly heavier than the 650. 

 

I'm still looking for chinks in the armor with the pm-1. So far, there really are none that I've been able to find. It plays all genres well. The tonality of the hp is voiced nearly perfectly...tone is critical for me. I play a few instruments and have been around them and heard them "live" most of my life. If the tone is off, you've lost me. 

 

I was really worried about the lyr being too much power for the pm-1...it's not. The background is completely silent. And most importantly the "music connection factor" is very very good with these. 

 

I do wish that the pm-1 was cheaper. Oh wait, they have a less expensive version on the way. :p

post #1652 of 3071

Thanks for your feedback.  To clarify, my 'treble falls off a cliff' remark was solely based on the FQ-graph, I did not hear the phones.  Which again shows that a plot on paper/screen is no substitute for listening but most people here will probably agree to that.

 

I'm a bit challenged in imagining their sound because I don't own the HD-650 nor have I ever auditioned an Audeze headphone.  It's HifiMan  (500 and 6) and HD-800 for me that will serve as references.

 

Think I'll try auditioning the Oppo, looks like it might do well with classical music.  But provided the sound reproduction parts remain unchanged I'll wait for the less expensive edition, don't need a fancy case and brushed metal handcrafted parts.

post #1653 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Well, I left them playing overnight just to kick a little of the new dust off the drivers. I put on a favorite Sunday morning recording of mine and it just sounds divine. I've probably said 100 times here that I'd never sell my hd650. It is after all the ONE thing I've bought and never sold. I may have to eat those words. :o  

 

The pm-1 is better at every turn than the hd650, with the possible exception of comfort and even that is very close. I'd give the hd650 a 9.5 on comfort (hd800 gets a 10). The pm-1 gets a 9.0 on comfort due to being slightly heavier than the 650. 

 

I'm still looking for chinks in the armor with the pm-1. So far, there really are none that I've been able to find. It plays all genres well. The tonality of the hp is voiced nearly perfectly...tone is critical for me. I play a few instruments and have been around them and heard them "live" most of my life. If the tone is off, you've lost me. 

 

I was really worried about the lyr being too much power for the pm-1...it's not. The background is completely silent. And most importantly the "music connection factor" is very very good with these. 

 

I do wish that the pm-1 was cheaper. Oh wait, they have a less expensive version on the way. :p

we gotta pay to play ! lol

post #1654 of 3071

Regarding classical music and the pm-1. First, I enjoy classical music but am far from an expert. The hd650 did not do classical well. The pm-1 does produce classical music well. The hd800 is great with classical. 

post #1655 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Regarding classical music and the pm-1. First, I enjoy classical music but am far from an expert. The hd650 did not do classical well. The pm-1 does produce classical music well. The hd800 is great with classical. 

From what I read (but as I said, I didn't hear them) the HD-650 would be a bit too dark/not detailed enough for classical.  I'm ambivalent as to the 'best' cans, matter of fact I don't think there is one overall 'best' set of headphones.  For large orchestral works the HD-800 is the clear winner. But you need good source material, I tried listening to some CD-versions of 1937 mono recordings...you don't want to go there with the HD-800, it sucks the enjoyment out of them like a starved vampire.  Intimate pieces with solo instruments (especially solo violin)-->  HD-500, despite the lack of ultimate clarity.  Or vocals, love the midrange with vocals.  

 

And overall, if I'd have to pick just one headphone to keep then it would be my HE-6 though it's a bear to drive well.

 

Deliberately avoided testing the Stax so far...from what people tell me my wallet would suffer were I to go the electrostatic way.

post #1656 of 3071

^^ Don't ever test the Stax on the Blue Hawaii...ever!! You will be forever spoiled as it will change your perception of what reproduced music can really sound like. 

post #1657 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Sorry, sold the Vali. I wouldn't worry too much about any of the Schiit amps. They should all do well. Pick one that has your preferred flavor and go for it. I would expect the Vali to be quite a good match. 

The Vali is a very good match with the PM-1.

But I hope that the balanced cable will be available this week because I have the feeling that my Mjolnir will elevate the performance of the PM-1 to another level.
post #1658 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfillion View Post


But I hope that the balanced cable will be available this week because I have the feeling that my Mjolnir will elevate the performance of the PM-1 to another level.

 

+1

 

I really want to try the PM-1 balanced.

post #1659 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post
 

 

+1

 

I really want to try the PM-1 balanced.

And out of the HA-1, too!

post #1660 of 3071

I know that balanced cables can prevent the transducers from influencing each other on a shared ground (as with single-ended cables), but in my admittedly layman's understanding of this topic, these cross-channel impedance fluctuations have to do with the way signal voltages vary and are obviously not the same on each channel and have some kind of interaction with the cable's dialectric.  Whatever the physics, I can't honestly say I have ever heard these cross-channel influences on single-ended cables. I don't even know what I would listen for if trying to detect it. :o 
 
Also: The cable lengths between the amp and transducers are too short and the voltages too high (relative to Line Level voltages) to be concerned about rejecting common-mode interference between amp and headphones. On the subject of Line Level voltages between DAC and amp, I am in the camp that says there is no need to run balanced between DAC and amp - not unless you've got a really long cable run, where common-mode interference could be a problem at those lower voltages. 
 
In my opinion, the biggest bang for the buck when going to balanced cables between amp and headphone comes not from the aforementioned cross-channel voltage fluctuations, but when using amplifiers that offer more power at a four-conductor output than at a three-conductor TRS jack - if and only if, the headphone is insensitive enough, relative to the amp's power output, to actually enjoy an improvement in dynamics or bass energy and control, for example.  That is a use of balanced cables that I can testify is both audible and substantial, in some cases.  The more sensitive the headphone, the less difference between single-ended and balanced operation on my iBasso PB2 Pelican portable amp, for example, which most definitely puts out twice the power to its balanced connector as it does to its TRS jack. 
 
Even though I can hear a difference in dynamics and bass control when using the LCD-2 balanced on the iBasso portable amp, vs. with half the power output of its TRS jack, I stil prefer to use balanced cables with every headphone if it's an option even when no power-related benefits can be heard. (Indeed, I have balanced cables for every headphone.)  I do this just on my understanding that the "experts" say balanced is better - even if I can't hear a difference, once volume-matched.  I'm the same way with power supplies - I'll run with battery packs, when that's an option, rather than use a PSU that could introduce line noise - even if I can't hear a difference.  I attempt to minimize every weakness on the assumption that the total experience is a sum of its parts, as long as one link in the chain is not excessively compromised relative to the others.

 

In other words, for the PM-1, I can live without balanced cables (my favorite rig for the PM-1 is single-ended), but if the amp supports it, why not?

 

Mike


Edited by zilch0md - 5/4/14 at 8:27am
post #1661 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Well, I left them playing overnight just to kick a little of the new dust off the drivers. I put on a favorite Sunday morning recording of mine and it just sounds divine. I've probably said 100 times here that I'd never sell my hd650. It is after all the ONE thing I've bought and never sold. I may have to eat those words. redface.gif   

The pm-1 is better at every turn than the hd650, with the possible exception of comfort and even that is very close. I'd give the hd650 a 9.5 on comfort (hd800 gets a 10). The pm-1 gets a 9.0 on comfort due to being slightly heavier than the 650. 

I'm still looking for chinks in the armor with the pm-1. So far, there really are none that I've been able to find. It plays all genres well. The tonality of the hp is voiced nearly perfectly...tone is critical for me. I play a few instruments and have been around them and heard them "live" most of my life. If the tone is off, you've lost me. 

I was really worried about the lyr being too much power for the pm-1...it's not. The background is completely silent. And most importantly the "music connection factor" is very very good with these. 

I do wish that the pm-1 was cheaper. Oh wait, they have a less expensive version on the way. tongue.gif

And this is with the crack n spdball right?
post #1662 of 3071
Yes with the crack and speedball.
post #1663 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

I know that balanced cables can prevent the transducers from influencing each other on a shared ground (as with single-ended cables), but in my admittedly layman's understanding of this topic, these cross-channel impedance fluctuations have to do with the way signal voltages vary and are obviously not the same on each channel and have some kind of interaction with the cable's dialectric.  Whatever the physics, I can't honestly say I have ever heard these cross-channel influences on single-ended cables. I don't even know what I would listen for if trying to detect it. redface.gif  

 

Also: The cable lengths between the amp and transducers are too short and the voltages too high (relative to Line Level voltages) to be concerned about rejecting common-mode interference between amp and headphones. On the subject of Line Level voltages between DAC and amp, I am in the camp that says there is no need to run balanced between DAC and amp - not unless you've got a really long cable run, where common-mode interference could be a problem at those lower voltages. 

 

In my opinion, the biggest bang for the buck when going to balanced cables between amp and headphone comes not from the aforementioned cross-channel voltage fluctuations, but when using amplifiers that offer more power at a four-conductor output than at a three-conductor TRS jack - if and only if, the headphone is insensitive enough, relative to the amp's power output, to actually enjoy an improvement in dynamics or bass energy and control, for example.  That is a use of balanced cables that I can testify is both audible and substantial, in some cases.  The more sensitive the headphone, the less difference between single-ended and balanced operation on my iBasso PB2 Pelican portable amp, for example, which most definitely puts out twice the power to its balanced connector as it does to its TRS jack. 

 

Even though I can hear a difference in dynamics and bass control when using the LCD-2 balanced on the iBasso portable amp, vs. with half the power output of its TRS jack, I stil prefer to use balanced cables with every headphone if it's an option even when no power-related benefits can be heard. (Indeed, I have balanced cables for every headphone.)  I do this just on my understanding that the "experts" say balanced is better - even if I can't hear a difference, once volume-matched.  I'm the same way with power supplies - I'll run with battery packs, when that's an option, rather than use a PSU that could introduce line noise - even if I can't hear a difference.  I attempt to minimize every weakness on the assumption that the total experience is a sum of its parts, as long as one link in the chain is not excessively compromised relative to the others.

In other words, for the PM-1, I can live without balanced cables (my favorite rig for the PM-1 is single-ended), but if the amp supports it, why not?

Mike

Funny you should say that..... I can now use the PM-1 with everything.





Not sure if I'm brave enough to try the speaker taps on the TP80 biggrin.gif
post #1664 of 3071
Quote (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post

Funny you should say that..... I can now use the PM-1 with everything.





Not sure if I'm brave enough to try the speaker taps on the TP80 biggrin.gif

Not sure why, but the PM-1 looks really sexy next all that gear. Nice to see reference next to something other than the HA-1.
post #1665 of 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ huh? The pm-1's leaks plenty. It's open, so it will leak as much as any open hp. 
My experience was only about half as much leak as an hd800


Quote:
Originally Posted by ogodei View Post

Yes, treble is very much like the LCD-X. I was having a hard time telling them apart during comparisons with that can.
I realize you have an LCD but I have to dissagree about trebles.
The PM1 has to me a "Mosfet" sounding trebles while the LCD X has more clarity/brightness than even rest of the LCD line from my memory.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Yes with the crack and speedball.
You have a double wammy of euphonic sound as I feel the PM1 to already have a tube like quality.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread