or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread - Page 73

post #1081 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogodei View Post

I have been listening for several days on a master-gd 8 amp fed by a mytek stereo192-DSD dac.  Thats a powerful solid state amp with a very (IMHO) bright DAC.  I don't find the OPPOs coming anywhere near the HD800s in terms of brightness so far.
Yeah we have to just forget comparisons to hd800.
Need comparisons to LCD.
I guess it's because hd800 is sort of a Pinnacle standard in soundstage & clarity. . I guess.
Edit:
Also Ur setup seems ideal for the oppo. .
post #1082 of 3442

I been listebniong all day on the WA5 single ended with the PM-1 and it sounding really good. I really enjoying the presentation. it is an incredible headphone. I think it does mot things very well.

post #1083 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post
 

I been listebniong all day on the WA5 single ended with the PM-1 and it sounding really good. I really enjoying the presentation. it is an incredible headphone. I think it does mot things very well.

Now all you need is a retail 560 :D :popcorn:

post #1084 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

Now all you need is a retail 560 :D :popcorn:

On its way. I got an email form Hifiman was shipping today:tongue_smile:

post #1085 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post
 

On its way. I got an email form Hifiman was shipping today:tongue_smile:

Exciting times ahead! Hope you'll have them by Friday... that'd be awesome. Or early next week :]

post #1086 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

Exciting times ahead! Hope you'll have them by Friday... that'd be awesome. Or early next week :]

usually DHL is fast so hoping so.

post #1087 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post
 

On its way. I got an email form Hifiman was shipping today:tongue_smile:

Great then perhaps you guys can do a comparison review (560/PM-1) on audio360?

 

 

post #1088 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Shame the PM1s are so easy to drive and forgiving of upstream setups, otherwise the High-End Audio subforum would welcome these with open arms probably.

Nah I don't really think so.  These have a high end pricetag but borderline high end performance.  If I can make a bold prediction, I think we'll be seeing this headphone mentioned quite a bit in the "overrated HPs" threads in about a year. 

post #1089 of 3442

Yet another person babbling on about something they know little or nothing about...

post #1090 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

Yet another person babbling on about something they know little or nothing about...

Can you explain this please?  I've heard pretty much every single headphone mentioned in the high end forums (including electrostats, orthos, and dynamics - both in current production and long out of production) as well as owned many of them for long periods of time and with a multitude of amps powering them. 

 

You're making this a personal crusade for some reason.  Let people have their opinions.  If you have a counter argument there's nothing wrong with that - just make an effort to offer some substance to your posts.

post #1091 of 3442

nerdling do you own the pm-1s?

post #1092 of 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

Can you explain this please?  I've heard pretty much every single headphone mentioned in the high end forums (including electrostats, orthos, and dynamics - both in current production and long out of production) as well as owned many of them for long periods of time and with a multitude of amps powering them. 

You're making this a personal crusade for some reason.  Let people have their opinions.  If you have a counter argument there's nothing wrong with that - just make an effort to offer some substance to your posts.

Have you heard the PM-1?

It may not be in the same league as some of the wonderful phones you have been fortunate enough to own or audition but the consensus seems to be that at their price point they are real contenders so you should bare this in mind. No doubt that Beagle is enamoured by the PM-1 but why don't the doubters cut him some slack until they try them. I have LCD2/3 and HD800's amongst others but most come with caveats regarding what you can/can't use them with or listen to. I'm hoping this phone will fill in a lot of the gaps.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion as long as they have had 1st hand experience....

Mine are delivered Friday, can't wait to try them.
post #1093 of 3442

I heard them before they came out.  I mentioned this earlier in the thread.  As far as I know, the version I heard was the 2nd iteration of the pre-production.  Somebody who has heard both the current production and the version I heard (I think side by side) said the current version sounds more rolled off in the treble.  I believe him as I thought they had more treble than what has shown up in measurements for the production version.  My biggest positive for the unit I heard was the frequency response, but if the treble issue ends up being true then I don't think these would have much of anything going for them for me personally aside from the nice looks.  I didn't like the closed in soundstage, and I really didn't like how slow and 'undetailed' they sounded.  The lack of detail in particular is why I'd hesitate to say these should be considered high end.

 

I'm thinking of getting a pair just to try them without that plastic thing covering the drivers and either leaving the driver assembly exposed or damped with a thin layer of open cell foam.  At the very least that should help with the soundstage a little.

post #1094 of 3442

Has anyone tried the PM-1 from speaker taps, or an amp that is rated at 5 watts or more?  If so how was the sound?

post #1095 of 3442
Boy this thread is moving quickly.
Edited by SpudHarris - 4/23/14 at 4:01pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread