or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread - Page 68

post #1006 of 3447
For someone who coming from HD800 PM-1 will be considered dark with no sparkle
post #1007 of 3447
Been around the forums for a while. I see most people's perspectives of headphones seem to be a flavor of the month which can be good depending on what that is. Glad to hear people just relaxing and enjoying the music more than most cans. That seems to be a plus. Where's all the big players from years ago when the flagships really blossomed? I'd like to hear their impressions too
post #1008 of 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post

tyll's measurements show another planar magnetic can with rolled-off highs. kinda surprised that he described it as a little muffled sounding when folks here have been praising its clarity. should be able to hear it for myself soon enough.
I believe it is setup dependant.
On home setup they are grander and smoother than my portable set up which sounds brighter.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post


Around the $1K price range, there are still only a few models that are truly suitable to be driven from portable sources.
...
You forgot the closest obvious choice. .

ED8..


Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post


..., I believe that the PM-1 is a worthy successor to the HD650 as a top-rung headphone for those who love for their music to speak for itself, and not have to listen to the harshness or peaks and valleys introduced by TOTL equipment. It's effortless, euphonic, and involving, with an intimate soundstage and outstanding instrument placement emerging from a black background. If somebody had told me that Sennheiser had introduced these as an alternative to the HD800 for lovers of the classic Sennheiser flagship sound, I would not have batted an eye...
Exactly, I could not agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

... IMO the best range of the PM-1 is the midrange, It is very natural but the bass also goes deep when required. The highs are right there when needed too but without being piercing and/or fatiguing...
Exactly as well..
The ease and naturalness of it's sound, and it's supple mids reminds me of my esw11..
Which also shares similarities in its subtle integrated trebles.
They just sound smooth & natural & detailed with dynamics when pushed..
Great for long listening sessions.

But if you like some sparkle and more of a V shaped fun signature you will not find that here.

That is where my ed8 is.
post #1009 of 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

does the maddog hold a candle to this PM1? any one care to rate/value these two? How far away? 
( i am interested in the area of SOUND...not so much the LOOKs :P )
no.. maybe you meant Alpha?
Edited by Maxx134 - 4/21/14 at 11:56pm
post #1010 of 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

no.. maybe you meant Alpha?
I could snag an md for a bargain, jus curious how far off I m.
N jus realised pm1 is an open can.
rolleyes.gif
post #1011 of 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

I could snag an md for a bargain, jus curious how far off I m.
N jus realised pm1 is an open can.
rolleyes.gif
For an "open can" it actually sounds instead like a partially open can,
as it leaks at least only half as loud as the hd800 & Sony ma900..
Edited by Maxx134 - 4/22/14 at 12:27am
post #1012 of 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Warren View Post

For those interested in measurements we have ours posted on our site:
[URL=http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4343&scale=30]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4343&scale=30[/URL]

We don't have a product page built for these but you can find all our measurements here:
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php

As for the sound quality, build, and overall design we are all VERY impressed with this headphone. We're hoping we can carry it someday. If you'd like to see it available at headphone.com be sure to let OPPO know.

Cheers,
Jamey

That graph makes the Oppo planars look even more delicious.

Warm tilt with a peak in the treble for some sparkle. Just how I like it. Looks like an LCD-2 but with more energy at 9khz-10khz, less in the lower regions. The LCD-2 has one of my absolute fave sounds, so I have no doubt the Oppo PM-1 will impress me.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/22/14 at 12:43am
post #1013 of 3447
Still waiting for comparisons between the PM-1 and the LCD-XC. Or do I pick up the HA-1 (when available) and PM-1 together instead of just the XC? Arg.
post #1014 of 3447

Looking at the Headroom graphs, the LCD2 is more linear and has better high freqency extension. But frequency response isn't everything, when I heard the LCD2 I heard a general lack of refinement in the upper midrange and highs which I attribute to the heavier and bigger driver needed for that excellent bass response. That and the weight and the 1$ to 1€ european price translation put me off it.

 

So my main questions are:

1. Does the PM1 driver have that finesse and resolution that the LCD2 driver lacks?

2. Are Oppo prices the same raw deal for Europeans as the Audeze prices are? Is it 1100€ in Europe or is it 800€?

post #1015 of 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post



That graph makes the Oppo planars look even more delicious.



Warm tilt with a peak in the treble for some sparkle. Just how I like it. Looks like an LCD-2 but with more energy at 9khz-10khz, less in the lower regions. The LCD-2 has one of my absolute fave sounds, so I have no doubt the Oppo PM-1 will impress me.

 



Looking at the graph, it looks like PM-1 mirrors that of Beyerdynamic T1 but just slightly recessed from low - sub high then has a similar roll off in the highs but at a lower level. Could this mean the PM-1 resembles the T1's signature but with tamed highs?
post #1016 of 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

You forgot the closest obvious choice. .

ED8..
 

I didn't forget about it, I just haven't had enough experience with it to give a good opinion. I've only heard an ED8 once, and it was among a host of mid-fi portables long before I ever had TOTL equipment of my own. At the time I foolishly called it "the closed HD800" (having only heard the HD800 once at that point) and was laughed away from the thread.


Edited by ssrock64 - 4/22/14 at 6:34am
post #1017 of 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post
 

[snip]

 

1. Does the PM1 driver have that finesse and resolution that the LCD2 driver lacks?

 

 

[snip]

 

I'm very comfortable with answering that affirmatively:  Yes!

post #1018 of 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

 

I'm very comfortable with answering that affirmatively:  Yes!


I concur, though the resolution isn't at the level of a T1 or HD800, and even an ESP950 is more exciting to listen to.

post #1019 of 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Warren View Post

For those interested in measurements we have ours posted on our site:
[URL=http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4343&scale=30]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4343&scale=30[/URL]

We don't have a product page built for these but you can find all our measurements here:
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php

As for the sound quality, build, and overall design we are all VERY impressed with this headphone. We're hoping we can carry it someday. If you'd like to see it available at headphone.com be sure to let OPPO know.

Cheers,
Jamey

That graph makes the Oppo planars look even more delicious.

Warm tilt with a peak in the treble for some sparkle. Just how I like it. Looks like an LCD-2 but with more energy at 9khz-10khz, less in the lower regions. The LCD-2 has one of my absolute fave sounds, so I have no doubt the Oppo PM-1 will impress me.
If you want treble sparkle it's not here unfortunately
post #1020 of 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

 

I'm very comfortable with answering that affirmatively:  Yes!


I concur, though the resolution isn't at the level of a T1 or HD800, and even an ESP950 is more exciting to listen to.

+1 about comparison to HD800
I was hoping they can complement HD800 but they don't
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread