Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › "Best" high end IEM or CIEM...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Best" high end IEM or CIEM... - Page 2

post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occy View Post

I recently demo'd the JH13 and Roxanne's and I found the Roxanne's to be a bit dark. Of those 2, I'd personally favoured the 13's, but the Roxanne's may suit your music tastes a little better. Plus the bass adjust pots are a great feature.

The reviews on not only the Noble K10's sound sig, build quality and overall performance, but also Noble's excellent customer service has won me over so I've placed an order for them. They're still 6 weeks away though.

Noble Audio is pretty much Heir Audio, or was since most of them were there first. I have a pair of 8.A's from when they used to be there and yeah, those guys are awesome. They put up with all your stupid questions and give you great recommendations.

That and the Wizard is truly an artist of his craft.
post #17 of 36
Thread Starter 

All you boys have sold me on the K10…Time to get the ball rolling oh, and thanks for all the help.

post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyawake View Post

All you boys have sold me on the K10…Time to get the ball rolling oh, and thanks for all the help.

Make sure to get a good audiologist to do your impressions. Expect to spend $50 or so; it's worth it. A good audiologist is the difference between a perfect (and therefore perfect sound) and half a dozen refits.
post #19 of 36
Thread Starter 

Already had impressions taken from a JH Audio preferred audiologist.   Fingers crossed they were all good.  Thanks again for another heads up! haha

post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyawake View Post

Already had impressions taken from a JH Audio preferred audiologist.   Fingers crossed they were all good.  Thanks again for another heads up! haha

No problem! Out of curiosity, what are you going to use to drive it? Just straight out of an iPhone/computer or are you going to go AMP?

If you're still on the market, I've got my 8.A's (and before that my 4.A's) going out from a Leckerton UHA-6s Mk.II:
http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii

It's a wonderful little amp, very neutral. Absolutely silent noise floor. The benefit of an AMP on something of this level is it really makes everything run at full, as good as it possibly can. My 8.A's really come alive with this AMP. Plus, it's got a pretty good battery. Also, driverless.
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougofTheAbaci View Post


Make sure to get a good audiologist to do your impressions. Expect to spend $50 or so; it's worth it. A good audiologist is the difference between a perfect (and therefore perfect sound) and half a dozen refits.

+1

My right ear was fine, but it took my 2 different audiologist's 3 goes to get the left ear right.
First one was missing a small section due to a sharp bend in my outer ear. 2nd one was also missing the same section, and it wouldn't have sealed properly because she forgot to give me the bike block until after the putty was injected (that one didn't feel as tight when it was removed compared to the right side). 3rd one was spot on though.
Posting them off to Noble tomorrow.

post #22 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougofTheAbaci View Post


No problem! Out of curiosity, what are you going to use to drive it? Just straight out of an iPhone/computer or are you going to go AMP?

If you're still on the market, I've got my 8.A's (and before that my 4.A's) going out from a Leckerton UHA-6s Mk.II:
http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii

It's a wonderful little amp, very neutral. Absolutely silent noise floor. The benefit of an AMP on something of this level is it really makes everything run at full, as good as it possibly can. My 8.A's really come alive with this AMP. Plus, it's got a pretty good battery. Also, driverless.

 

To be honest, at the moment I'll just be running them out of my iphone.  HOwever I'm looking at buying an AK100 MKII or AK 120.  Not sure if they're worth buying.  As I am always on the move I'd need a single unit.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occy View Post
 

+1

My right ear was fine, but it took my 2 different audiologist's 3 goes to get the left ear right.
First one was missing a small section due to a sharp bend in my outer ear. 2nd one was also missing the same section, and it wouldn't have sealed properly because she forgot to give me the bike block until after the putty was injected (that one didn't feel as tight when it was removed compared to the right side). 3rd one was spot on though.
Posting them off to Noble tomorrow.

 

 

How did you know if they were "just right" mate?  When I got mine done they seemed to both be fine but I know nothing.  The girl was happy so I assumed that was a good thing? haha


Edited by seanyawake - 4/5/14 at 11:33pm
post #23 of 36

I'm generally coming around to the (seeming) consensus that the current cream of the crop is the K10, however the main issue is despite various in depth reviews, there are so many NEW TOTL CIEMs that are just emerging now, have had delays or are just in limited circulation (even among the admittedly limited circulation of CIEMs), it seems that no-one really has a handle on it..

Really we need to nominate someone and get them every TOTL CIEM to do a complex shootout.. ;) However I suspect there might be some challenges with that.. Not to mention cost!

(ljokerl or average_joe)

 

Given that, as far as I can tell this is the current TOTL CIEM list:

 

 

Ultimate Ears: Personal Reference Monitor

 

JH Audio: Roxanne

 

Noble: Kaiser 10

 

Unique Melody: Mentor

 

Spiral Ears: 5 Way Reference

 

FitEar: MH335DW

 

Hiditon: NT-6

 

CustomArt: Harmony 8



Hmm, that's a point, we really need a thread that keeps track of TOTL CIEMs and provides links to reviews of them. (Preferably a sticky in the PHEIE subforum)

post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyawake View Post

To be honest, at the moment I'll just be running them out of my iphone.  HOwever I'm looking at buying an AK100 MKII or AK 120.  Not sure if they're worth buying.  As I am always on the move I'd need a single unit.
X5. Save your money.
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyawake View Post

 

 

How did you know if they were "just right" mate?  When I got mine done they seemed to both be fine but I know nothing.  The girl was happy so I assumed that was a good thing? haha


Basically by assumption due to trial and error. I can't comment on the fit of the CIEM's as I haven't received them yet. But there were clearly issues with the first 2 impressions of my left ear that were not there with the 3rd one.

post #26 of 36

I got my JVC HA-FX850's and they are amazing, especially out of my Tera. I am not sure if there is a need to spend the big bucks on a ciem for great sound.

post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirmalanow View Post

I got my JVC HA-FX850's and they are amazing, especially out of my Tera. I am not sure if there is a need to spend the big bucks on a ciem for great sound.

The benefits of a custom IEM over a 'universal' IEM, as I see them, aren't always just about sound. Customs, on their own, are rather beautiful, and you can take ownership of that beauty by choosing colors and other options, which is a bit harder on a universal. There's also the fact that a universal, by it's very nature, is designed to work with a wide range of people where a custom IEM is designed to work for you. That means a better, more comfortable fit which in turn means it blocks more sound, you don't have to turn it up as high, you can hear more of the more subtle details...

I don't know enough about the parts that go into a top-tier universal vs. what's used in a custom build to know whether they're technically better. I just know their ergonomically better.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougofTheAbaci View Post


The benefits of a custom IEM over a 'universal' IEM, as I see them, aren't always just about sound. Customs, on their own, are rather beautiful, and you can take ownership of that beauty by choosing colors and other options, which is a bit harder on a universal. There's also the fact that a universal, by it's very nature, is designed to work with a wide range of people where a custom IEM is designed to work for you. That means a better, more comfortable fit which in turn means it blocks more sound, you don't have to turn it up as high, you can hear more of the more subtle details...

I don't know enough about the parts that go into a top-tier universal vs. what's used in a custom build to know whether they're technically better. I just know their ergonomically better.


That makes a lot of sense. And on the other hand, getting a good fit with a custom can be tricky, and there is usually a bigger drop in resale value because of the need for reshelling.  There are always pros and cons.

One thing I especially like about the JVCs is that they sound very good with a very light seal. I do not need to insert them deep in the ear canal, and just set them in my outer ear just outside the ear canal. In this position, they do not block as much sound as other iem's, but they do block some sound. And I often find it a pain with iem's when you do want to hear something, you have to fiddle with getting them out of your ears and then fiddle with getting them back in. With the JVCs sitting in my outer ear, I can just pause the music when my wife comes in the room to talk without having to go through all of the removing and reinserting of my headphones, just for her to tell me she is going to the store or something.

Ultimately, the key thing is the sound quality, and the JVCs are about the best sound I have owned so far. On other threads people have compared them to the HE6, LCD2 and TH900. They are that good.

post #29 of 36
It's not so difficult with a good audiologist. From what I can tell, the problem most people run into when it comes to fit is they go to someone who doesn't know how to do impressions for customs or their options are generally limited. If you have a good audiologist and the people making the CIEMs are good then fit is a lot less dicey.

You get what you pay for.
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougofTheAbaci View Post


The benefits of a custom IEM over a 'universal' IEM, as I see them, aren't always just about sound. Customs, on their own, are rather beautiful,

 

Yep, got that covered in the CIEM department:

 

 

*

 

*

 

 

 

 

and the IEM department:

 

*

 

 

 

Dr. John Moulton

Here at Noble, we craft some of the finest universal and custom in-ear monitors available today. 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › "Best" high end IEM or CIEM...