Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Reasonable prices for Sennheiser headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasonable prices for Sennheiser headphones

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 

I think Sennheiser should come up with a new flagship HD900 around $1500 to compete with LCD2/3, and lower its current flagship HD800 to sub $1000 to gain more popularity - hopefully as popular as HD650

 

The ideal Sennheiser products to me:

 

HD600 $280

 

HD650 $350

 

HD700 $500

 

HD800 $800 - $900

 

HD900 $1400 - $1600

 

What do you guys think?

post #2 of 64
I believe that I once read somewhere that the HD800's were designed to be ~$600 headphones. Don't quote me on that though.
post #3 of 64
Sennheiser HD800 at $900 would be catastrophic.
post #4 of 64

No, those prices are much too low. The HD600 is already the best headphone under $500 for many people. The HD800 is considered to be the best dynamic driver headphone and the $1500 price tag is rather fair IMO. Those prices are more or less the prices of them used. 


Edited by lin0003 - 4/1/14 at 10:31pm
post #5 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaLefty View Post

I believe that I once read somewhere that the HD800's were designed to be ~$600 headphones. Don't quote me on that though.

Really?... first time to hear this

post #6 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneraI View Post

Sennheiser HD800 at $900 would be catastrophic.

Yes, that's how it can become as popular as HD650 ... IMO

post #7 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

No, those prices are much too low. The HD600 is already the best headphone under $500 for many people. The HD800 is considered to be the best dynamic driver headphone and the $1500 price tag is rather fair IMO. Those prices are more or less the prices of them used. 

I think those prices are realistic.

 

You can already get HD650s at $320 - $380, and HD700 at $500- $600, when they are on sale.

 

As to HD800, Senn definitely can sell a lot of them around $1500. But I believe it will never become as popular as HD650 at this price tag. But if Senn can lower its price to $800 - $900, it will definitely become the next sensation. And most likely Senn will make much more money out of it.

post #8 of 64

Setting aside what people paid for things and whether it's fair to charge others less, I'll focus on how much I think the sound it worth. I grant that notions of worth can't be cleanly separated from current market value, but I'd certainly be willing to pay $750 for HD800 at a minimum. I like it best of the non e-stat flagships, but I don't think any of these is worth more than a thousand. If you paid more, I think you let yourself get ripped off a little. That doesn't mean I absolutely wouldn't let myself get ripped off a little if I really enjoyed the sound enough. Still and all, Sennheiser does overcharge. HD600 is very good, but it's not worth $400 when it's roughly comparable competitors are charging much less. So $325 would be a more reasonable price. As I think HD650 is no better than HD600, I think they should charge the same for each.

post #9 of 64

HD900 to compete with the LCD3 and LCDX? Sorry but the impression overall in this site is that the HD800 already do compete with them SQ wise. HD900 would be a few years of R&D away if they truly wanted to surpass the HD800 by a sizable enough margin to be worth the upgrade. I recall that Sennheiser had patented a planar tech or something similar that I read, maybe they are making a LCD3/HE6 competitor of their own as a planar. I'd expect it to be called HO XXX though not HD900 - Headphone Dynamic vs Headphone Orthodynamic :p

post #10 of 64
This is what I was thinking. The only upgrade to the HD800 would be an E-Stat or planar. It would take a while for them to lower the prices even after 15 years.
post #11 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddc View Post
 

I think those prices are realistic.

 

You can already get HD650s at $320 - $380, and HD700 at $500- $600, when they are on sale.

 

As to HD800, Senn definitely can sell a lot of them around $1500. But I believe it will never become as popular as HD650 at this price tag. But if Senn can lower its price to $800 - $900, it will definitely become the next sensation. And most likely Senn will make much more money out of it.

 

The next sensation? The HD800 is very popular among headfiers and those across other web communities. Sure if the price was lower they'd sell more models, like any price drops and sales, but personally I don't think it ever is going to be as popular as the HD650 even at that price. The HD650 will still be a third of the cost for very good SQ, and has been around for twice as long as a model. Let alone having a sound signature that is more likeable to a mass of people over the brighter analytical style of the HD800 - there are many who would take a HD650 over a HD800, even the HD600 has a similar sentiment due to sound signature.

 

There are less people ready to drop $900 than $400. More than ready than at $1500, but If Sennheiser are making a very strong profit and success with that price point, then I don't see it happening. Does X increase in total sales make up for loss of X dollars per sale? For the retailer does X sales also increase enough to cover their profit margins. They'd hope to sell twice as many HD800 as such a price, not sure if that would occur really. Doubling up in total sale is not as easy as it may seem, many people who own certain businesses may agree.


Edited by UNIFi - 4/1/14 at 11:41pm
post #12 of 64

A little perspective. 

 

There was a time when the flagship headphones under $500 were:

 

1. AKG K701

2. Beyerdynamic DT 880

3. Sennheiser HD 650

 

Now price, in the same order:

 

1. $259

2. $279

3. $499

 

IDK about you, but to me, it just doesn't add up.


Edited by halfinfinity - 4/1/14 at 11:52pm
post #13 of 64

That's certainly Sennheiser for ya.

post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddc View Post
 

I think Sennheiser should come up with a new flagship HD900 around $1500 to compete with LCD2/3, and lower its current flagship HD800 to sub $1000 to gain more popularity - hopefully as popular as HD650

 

The ideal Sennheiser products to me:

 

HD600 $280  HD650 $350  HD700 $500  HD800 $800 - $900  HD900 $1400 - $1600

 

What do you guys think?

I think "this makes no sense". It's like saying "Rolls Royce should decrease the price of their cars by 40% to compete with Audi - they would sell more and therefore make more money". Why would they introduce a flagship product at $1500 when they already have a flagship product at $1500? Not to mention the no doubt massive investment to on R&D to come up with this product that has to be recouped, the product is no doubt very expensive to make, also the costs of distributing it globally, so unless sales would double or treble or quadruple they wouldn't make more money. Not only that I can think of a few thousand people globally that would be mighty pissed if they reduced the price of their flagship product by a third - namely those who paid $1500 for it.

 

Other than that, great idea :) :)

post #15 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfinfinity View Post
 

A little perspective. 

 

There was a time when the flagship headphones under $500 were:

 

1. AKG K701

2. Beyerdynamic DT 880

3. Sennheiser HD 650

 

Now price, in the same order:

 

1. $259

2. $279

3. $499

 

IDK about you, but to me, it just doesn't add up.

ha ....yeah , the classic trio for getting into Headphone Audiophilia  !

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Reasonable prices for Sennheiser headphones