Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could - Page 2

post #16 of 51

I was heavily listening to the M40X yesterday along with M30X, M35 and M50X.

 

They are much more powerful than M30X & M35, but compared to the M50X, they are not really neutral, as someone said somewhere... There is still a lot of lows, but little bit dumped.

post #17 of 51
So in your opinion the M50x is more neutral sounding?
post #18 of 51

I disagree, the M50x has more color on the mids and even more bass, the M40x has a mid-bass hump still like the 50 but it's less..basically they share the same sound sig to my ears but the 40x is closer to flat. Not neutral though you're right about that, just more neutral than I've heard so far, definitely moreso than the SRH440 I'm going to sell. 50x is more...V shaped.

post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by c61746961 View Post

So in your opinion the M50x is more neutral sounding?

No, the 50X isn't more neutral. In fact the M40X may be taken for more neutral, because You can't hear the lows that loud, as in the M50X. But they sound VERY similar in lows. Just slightly quieter.

post #20 of 51

A reason I choose M40x is I want to upgrade from TAD300. And I don't have more money to buy new M50x, SRH440 or Pro80

This headphone is very comfort for me, I don't have any problem with earcups, but I must stretch the headband a little bit to make it more comfortable than before. I always using it for more than an hour.

The soundstage is enough for me, not too wide but with good depth. Good for playing FPS games (I always playing CS:GO)
I can't describe the low-mid-high. I only know this headphone is bit warm and V-shaped :tongue:

I bit dissapointed because it's so hard to find 1.2m cable from M50x for M40x in my country (I don't have CC/paypal to buy it from another country). So I prefer cut the cable, and make the 1.8m cable as extension. Maybe tommorow I can pick the cable from local DIYer, he help me to mod the cable (I don't have any tools and skills to modding the cable).

I will have good all-rounder headphone, still capable to become portable headphone :D 

CMIIW ok


Edited by ashigi - 6/25/14 at 8:04am
post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashigi View Post
 

A reason I choose M40x is I want to upgrade from TAD300. And I don't have more money to buy new M50x, SRH440 or Pro80

This headphone is very comfort for me, I don't have any problem with earcups, but I must stretch the headband a little bit to make it more comfortable than before. I always using it for more than an hour.

The soundstage is enough for me, not too wide but with good depth. Good for playing FPS games (I always playing CS:GO)
I can't describe the low-mid-high. I only know this headphone is bit warm and V-shaped :tongue:

I bit dissapointed because it's so hard to find 1.2m cable from M50x for M40x in my country (I don't have CC/paypal to buy it from another country). So I prefer cut the cable, and make the 1.8m cable as extension. Maybe tommorow I can pick the cable from local DIYer, he help me to mod the cable (I don't have any tools and skills to modding the cable).

I will have good all-rounder headphone, still capable to become portable headphone :D 

CMIIW ok

I contacted AT and they said the cable would be available in 30-60 days or so. It's not available for order yet as a part directly from them.

 

The 40x isn't that V shaped. The only coloration I can detect is a slightly solid bass character, similar to the M50x but not as bad. They are a lot less V shaped than the M50x because they were designed to be more neutral.

post #22 of 51
Try boosting at 3.5 KHz, 6 dB, Q=1.4 (~1 octave) wink.gif
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by c61746961 View Post

Try boosting at 3.5 KHz, 6 dB, Q=1.4 (~1 octave) wink.gif
Wow no thanks. That would put the mids on the level of "painful" like a 7506. I can't stand the mids of that Sony.
post #24 of 51
Not really, it puts the high mids more in line with the ~1.2 KHz hump. In my experience the tonality is preserved but the soundstage is improved (imaging, dimensions). I can't stand the Sony either.
post #25 of 51
Really? I don't hear any central mid hump going on on mine, even though that's a typical characteristic of a closed can.
post #26 of 51
The mid hump is broad and of relatively little amplitude (~4 dB), and is present on the M50x as well (see Tyll's plot). It's actually less of a hump and more of a mid-bass suckout (~200-400 Hz) if you take the low bass as reference. The point is that the headphone response falls a good amount above 2 KHz (also on the M50x) and the dip sits squarely on the presence region, affecting harmonics and detail retrieval. A compensatory hump in that region is beneficial IMO, but of course YMMV.
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal571 View Post
 

I contacted AT and they said the cable would be available in 30-60 days or so. It's not available for order yet as a part directly from them.

 

The 40x isn't that V shaped. The only coloration I can detect is a slightly solid bass character, similar to the M50x but not as bad. They are a lot less V shaped than the M50x because they were designed to be more neutral.

Thank you for the correction sir :D
Because I don't want waiting for long time, I prefer cut the straight cable (it seems I always don't care about warranty in headphone/earphone, don't know why :confused:)
http://cdn.kaskus.com/images/2014/06/26/5442661_20140626065434.jpg

post #28 of 51

does the M40X also have the M50X's tinny/metalic slightly nasal sound to vocals + treble?

post #29 of 51
The upper treble is quite exaggerated and does stand out sometimes, I actually have two pieces of felt in front of the driver to tone it down, however, it seems to be more extended than that of the M50X and many other closed cans.
post #30 of 51
I can't judge treble character too well because I really enjoyed the high treble sparkle of the original M50. I can only hear up to about 15 kHz so spikes you guys hear I might not be able to. The M40x sounds wonderfully extended to my ears and not piercing by any means. It sounds just about right to me, that's why I really like it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could