or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Please stop me from buying BEATS or SMS Audio Street!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please stop me from buying BEATS or SMS Audio Street!!! - Page 2

post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post
 

Hello Everyone,

 

I am looking to buy "on ear" or over ear headphones.  I am guessing I can do better than Beats or SMS therefore I am consulting the experts.  Here is what I am looking for in about this order:

 

Highly portable.

Comfortable

Noise isolation (Closed)

Removable headphone cord

Headphone cord on one side only

Inline controls

decent style (i know this is subjective)

decent sound 

Budget- Negotiable. (probably no more than $300, prefer to stay under $200 if possible).

 

I may get hate but the SMS Audio and Beats kinda hit most of these check-marks above for me (i think).  I have heard sound quality is not the greatest and perhaps reliability.  Now I am no super Audiophile.  Really looking for something that is inconspicuous that I can lock out sound at work (office job) that is portable. 

 

I own Sennheiser PC360 $ HD595 and Klipsch s4i and i am overely happy with all, however need a new pair of cans for the office application.

 

Hope you guys/gals can offer different suggestions!

 

Thanks!!!

 

 

 

 

I'll be the contrary opinion here.

 

The Beats Studio meets every requirement on your list.I'll also venture to say that the newer Studios I've heard sound very good...almost worth the asking price when compared to similar costing phones.

 

Just an opinion.

post #17 of 37
Thread Starter 

Thanks everyone. This is such a great community.

 

I went to Best Buy this evening and was able to check out the Sony MDR-1R and the Beats line.  All headphones were so beat up I really didn't even attempt to judge sound quality.  I was primarily looking at fit and finish, comfort etc...  The Sony MDR-1R are very impressive and comfortable.  However portability is just not there for me :( .

 

I came very close to purchasing the Beats Solo HD because, they look nice,  very comfortable and very portable.  Something told me to wait.

 

It seems the Beats headphones are probably one of the most controversial headphones out there.  So many supporters, although so many haters.  I keep hearing from most people though that Beats are very muddy sounding.  I dont like the idea of that.  Are the new HD Solo's better?? 

 

Anyways on Head-Fi home page i seen the V-Moda XS got a good review.  They are super portable.  I am not a huge fan of the looks, but I guess I maybe can compromise.  The other complaint is the single button in-line controls.  The V-moda 80 has 3 button controls.  Does anyone know if I can get a cable with the 3 button controls?

 

Very close to buying a couple different pairs on amazon and returning.

 

Edit:

 

Any love for the Senn momentum series out there? 


Edited by terminaldawn - 4/1/14 at 9:24pm
post #18 of 37

don't get beats. especially not the solos. I don't know how the newer ones sound but... just from looking at them, i see no difference in build quality. It will probably break real fast.

 

The DNA's sound better but their build quality isn't the best either.

 

i say you get the v-moda xs if you like that foldable portability thing.

post #19 of 37

Momentum's have got everything expect for being super portable. What about the KEF M500? They really seem to match all your needs.


Edited by halfinfinity - 4/1/14 at 10:13pm
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post
 

Thanks everyone. This is such a great community.

 

I went to Best Buy this evening and was able to check out the Sony MDR-1R and the Beats line.  All headphones were so beat up I really didn't even attempt to judge sound quality.  I was primarily looking at fit and finish, comfort etc...  The Sony MDR-1R are very impressive and comfortable.  However portability is just not there for me :( .

 

I came very close to purchasing the Beats Solo HD because, they look nice,  very comfortable and very portable.  Something told me to wait.

 

It seems the Beats headphones are probably one of the most controversial headphones out there.  So many supporters, although so many haters.  I keep hearing from most people though that Beats are very muddy sounding.  I dont like the idea of that.  Are the new HD Solo's better?? 

 

Anyways on Head-Fi home page i seen the V-Moda XS got a good review.  They are super portable.  I am not a huge fan of the looks, but I guess I maybe can compromise.  The other complaint is the single button in-line controls.  The V-moda 80 has 3 button controls.  Does anyone know if I can get a cable with the 3 button controls?

 

Very close to buying a couple different pairs on amazon and returning.

 

Edit:

 

Any love for the Senn momentum series out there? 

 

So much FAIL.

 

The Beats are so controversial they revolutionized the industry. 

I gave my Monster Beats Studio to my girlfriend cuz I found better but that doesn't take away from them. 

 

Quote:
 No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it's going to rise tomorrow.
When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt.
 
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance  -  Robert M Pirsig

 

Get it? It really applies right here.

 

 

Don't believe the hype.

 

The new Beats are tuned quite well. 

You would suffer a great FAIL if you let haters or fanboys overly influence you. Judging by your quote it's too late. They don't have enough bass for me personally but I couldn't give 2 ****s what any group of fanboys or haters have to say. 

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post

 

The Beats are so controversial they revolutionized the industry. 

 

^^^

 

Say what you will about product quality or whatever else, there's no denying that Beats turned audiophilia into a consumer activity. Think about how many people are getting into higher-end headphones because they forked out the money for Monster/Beats and wanted to upgrade from there. Think about the brands that are able to put some serious money into R&D and marketing because of how much bigger the consumer pool is. Plus, it's been good for THEIR products, because they've had to fight against the influx of more and more luxury headphones, so they're improving the sound quality.

 

If people like 'em... buy 'em! Dang. You listened to some Beats and went "this is a purchase I like", don't try to convince yourself that they're bad. FFS this is all about enjoying your audio. Who CARES what the logo on the side is?

post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

If people like 'em... buy 'em! Dang. You listened to some Beats and went "this is a purchase I like", don't try to convince yourself that they're bad. FFS this is all about enjoying your audio. Who CARES what the logo on the side is?

Just because someone likes them doesn't mean that they can't think that they can get a better deal. After all, that's the reason most of us are here--to get the best sound for our money. smily_headphones1.gif
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

Sennheiser Momentum

 

VMODA M80 <- not as bassy as Beats or SMS, but amazing regardless

 

Monster DNA on-ear (seriously they're good)

 

Mikros 90 are like $60 on Newegg now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826532001

Other than the DNA's (which I didn't care for the sound signature), I agree all of the above. The momentum's have a retro look that depending upon the atmosphere and personal taste can be considered "in style". I loved my VMODA M80's, they sounded quite good, VMODA really has listened to their customers opinions in regards to the design and characteristics of these headphones. The Best Buy close to you may have both the Momentum and Mikros depending if they have a Magnolia Section. But most Best Buy's have an area where you can listen to, and sample headphones. I know that we carry the UE6000's and Monster DNA's at our Best Buy.

post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Just because someone likes them doesn't mean that they can't think that they can get a better deal. After all, that's the reason most of us are here--to get the best sound for our money. smily_headphones1.gif

x2

 

even if the newer ones have better sq, just looking at all the broken demo units in best buy is enough to make me go nope.avi. Monster dna included. Yes, the higher end models seem more sturdy because they're metal, but the best mid-fi phones reside at that price point, so yeah. 

post #25 of 37

You know what you could do is geting something with a detachable cord, like the Sound Magic HP 100 or even on of the vModa headphones, and from there get a 3.5mm cord with iPhone or android controls 

 

THe Sound Magic HP 100

all the vModsa

the Logitech UE 6000

 

all have what your looking for, and I would think the inline controls should be independant of the headphone, as all inline controls are is a mirco Chip and little PCB on a wire, so get a headphone you like then buy a 3.5mm cord with controls,

post #26 of 37

I don't know why people say the sennheiser momentum isn't portable, it's just as portable as a beats studio.

 

I haven't heard the new beats studio, but I read that they are way better than the old ones, so they might be an option.

I did hear the sennheiser momentum (on-ear, that is) and it sounded quite good, but with an amp (like Fiio E11) these really open up.

The on-ear momentum is where I live 200 euro's, the new beats studio 300 euro's, and the over ear momentum's are 300 euro's.

 

If you want a flashy look, get the new beats studio.

If you want to look "profesional" look, get the sennheiser momentums.

 

Keep in mind the new beats studio work on batteries, and when these die they are not useable anymore, until you recharge them.

 

IMO The Sennheiser momentum on-ear should be the way to go for you, but of course you first got to demo them sometime!

post #27 of 37

v-moda xs is the answer for you, I think. Approachable, great sound, meets all of your requirements. It's very good, I think it is the best fit. The Momentums are too neutral and bass light, while the Beats or DNA are just not as good sounding.


Edited by krelianx - 4/4/14 at 2:50am
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post
 

Thanks everyone. This is such a great community.

 

I went to Best Buy this evening and was able to check out the Sony MDR-1R and the Beats line.  All headphones were so beat up I really didn't even attempt to judge sound quality.  I was primarily looking at fit and finish, comfort etc...  The Sony MDR-1R are very impressive and comfortable.  However portability is just not there for me :( .

 

I came very close to purchasing the Beats Solo HD because, they look nice,  very comfortable and very portable.  Something told me to wait.

 

It seems the Beats headphones are probably one of the most controversial headphones out there.  So many supporters, although so many haters.  I keep hearing from most people though that Beats are very muddy sounding.  I dont like the idea of that.  Are the new HD Solo's better?? 

 

Anyways on Head-Fi home page i seen the V-Moda XS got a good review.  They are super portable.  I am not a huge fan of the looks, but I guess I maybe can compromise.  The other complaint is the single button in-line controls.  The V-moda 80 has 3 button controls.  Does anyone know if I can get a cable with the 3 button controls?

 

Very close to buying a couple different pairs on amazon and returning.

 

Edit:

 

Any love for the Senn momentum series out there? 

If you're going buy beats, buy the new Studios. I've read around that they sound pretty decent for the price, and have everything else that you need.

post #29 of 37
Thread Starter 

Thanks again people.  I do appreciate all the thoughts and advice.  

 

So I ended up getting V-Moda XS and Senn Momentum.  And guess which one I like the best.... well... Neither! If I had to chose one I would chose Momentums, but here is the deal.  In my humble and personal opinion my Senn PC360 that I use daily and Klipsch s4i ii sound so much better than either of these.  Therefore I am considering going a different direction and maybe just using my Klipsch s4i ii at work.  They seal out sound much better than either the Vmoda XS or the Senn Momentum.  Full size over ear headphones are too bulky for work and I fear they will make me look too unapproachable at work if that makes any sense.  That is why i wanted to go with something smaller. Therefore I am thinking ear-buds may after-all be best for me at work. However still considering maybe over ear headphones for other application that seal out sound better for use traveling (airplane etc..) 

post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post
 

Thanks again people.  I do appreciate all the thoughts and advice.  

 

So I ended up getting V-Moda XS and Senn Momentum.  And guess which one I like the best.... well... Neither! If I had to chose one I would chose Momentums, but here is the deal.  In my humble and personal opinion my Senn PC360 that I use daily and Klipsch s4i ii sound so much better than either of these.  Therefore I am considering going a different direction and maybe just using my Klipsch s4i ii at work.  They seal out sound much better than either the Vmoda XS or the Senn Momentum.  Full size over ear headphones are too bulky for work and I fear they will make me look too unapproachable at work if that makes any sense.  That is why i wanted to go with something smaller. Therefore I am thinking ear-buds may after-all be best for me at work. However still considering maybe over ear headphones for other application that seal out sound better for use traveling (airplane etc..) 

I'm sorry to hear that I offered you the wrong headphone, I really thought it would fit your needs.

I understand what you mean with 'unapproachable', I also get this feeling sometimes when I wear over-ear headphones, even when they are open-back and I can easily hear people talking.

Earbuds would be a great option then yeah, you could also consider IEMS (earbuds go in your ear, but IEMS go into your ear-canal). With an IEM you might not even need a headphone, since these isolate great.

A good pair of IEMs are the monster turbine's, at the moment they are $124,99 on Amazon.

I haven't heard them but I saw a lot of people hype over it, so please try before you buy!

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-Performance-In-Ear-Speakers/dp/B001LNO722 <-- here's a link to them. You could also search for a shop that has a return policy, so you can return them if you don't like them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Please stop me from buying BEATS or SMS Audio Street!!!