Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods other than cables (Review in Progress)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods... - Page 10

post #136 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by acantor View Post

Sounds like I will not be missing out if I stick with my He6 powered by a great speaker amp vs the 560's?
Any recent comparisons with LCD -X closed and open?
Thanks
Comfort and ease of use are the 2 main things you'll be missing.
Imaging is the sound-related thing you'll be missing.
post #137 of 205
2 other questions:
Would a 30 watt speaker amp be too much for the 560, or would one need an adapter like the one from Bluecircle to use safely.
Are the cables for the He6 and 560 interchangeable ?
Thanks!
post #138 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by acantor View Post

2 other questions:
Would a 30 watt speaker amp be too much for the 560, or would one need an adapter like the one from Bluecircle to use safely.
Are the cables for the He6 and 560 interchangeable ?
Thanks!

Depends highly on the gain of the amplifier and the S/N ratio and noise floor.

 

The cables are interchangeable, yes.

post #139 of 205
Thread Starter 

A 30 watt speaker amp would be about 7 watts into the HE-560 (did the math in my head, not to the decimal point).  That's probably 2-3x the power they need, and about 7x the power they'd use to reach 120dB.  But it seems that you should be able to use the amp as long as you don't push the volume past about 120 dB. It's always good to have an amp with some overhead for those very dynamic passages.

 

Just only use 1/7 of the power or less...  :tongue_smile:

post #140 of 205

Thanks for your help. I am using a Pass XA30.5 currently, thinking of upgrading to the 30.8.  The Pass is awesome with the HE6s.

post #141 of 205

[haven't read the whole thread but searched the thread and didn't find what i want to inquire about]

 

have you tried the 560 with a portable source/dac/amp such as the dx90 and/or the x5?

post #142 of 205

Anyone using a cable with their HE-560, other than the stock cable?  Would like to hear if anyone likes a different cable that betters the stock cable!

 

Thanks!

post #143 of 205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post
 

Anyone using a cable with their HE-560, other than the stock cable?  Would like to hear if anyone likes a different cable that betters the stock cable!

 

Thanks!

 

I'm not convinced that my Moon-Audio Silver Dragon cable is any better, although it is more versatile with all the adapters I have to use it with balanced and single ended. But I also didn't hear a big improvement with the Silver Dragon vs HE-6 cable.

post #144 of 205
As the HE560 is still not available, I finally decided against waiting any longer and got a HE500 with SPL Phonitor, it made a wonderful combination.
post #145 of 205
Smart move, as you can return it within 30 days - when the HE-560 should be released.
Make sure to check out the 400i, too. It would be great to see a redesigned HE-500 in it wink.gif
post #146 of 205

So, were you ever able to do the Stax SR-007 comparison you talked about a while back ago? I'm very interested in what you have to say about it vs the Hifiman. I nearly have enough $ for a pair used around ~$1600-1700 mark, was wondering if it could be considered an upgrade to the HE-560s (which I own and like quite a bit).

post #147 of 205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBieber View Post
 

So, were you ever able to do the Stax SR-007 comparison you talked about a while back ago? I'm very interested in what you have to say about it vs the Hifiman. I nearly have enough $ for a pair used around ~$1600-1700 mark, was wondering if it could be considered an upgrade to the HE-560s (which I own and like quite a bit).

 

Yes I did, and it made me sell the SR-007 last week.

post #148 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

Yes I did, and it made me sell the SR-007 last week.

Wow, the HE-560 is really that good huhhh? I'm curious to find out what made you sell off the Stax...biggrin.gif
post #149 of 205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer-J View Post


Wow, the HE-560 is really that good huhhh? I'm curious to find out what made you sell off the Stax...biggrin.gif

 

Well, they just made the SR-007 sound more dull, almost lifeless in comparison.  My HE-6 & HD800 dynamic phones, and HE-60 and SR-009 electrostatic phones were also preferred over the 007.  Sure, I liked the SR-007 better if I didn't compare them to any other phones, but there are 5-6 phones that just sound more exciting and alive when I would switch over to them, to the point where I wasn't using the SR-007 Mk1 very much.

 

Not including the HE-560, the phones that I was using the most lately were the Sennheiser HE-60 Baby Orpheus (so light and comfortable they just disappear, and the sound seems to come from everywhere but little speakers next to my ears), as well as the HD-800 and HE-6, with a little LCD-2 rev2 here and there.  The SR-009 sounded slightly more punchy than the HE-60 with my KGBH amp, but they'd also be more hot and heavy and so I also sold them to help fund college. Decided to thin the herd of headphones rather than sell off any of my nice watches.

post #150 of 205
Thread Starter 

I will be unboxing the latest revision of HE-560 and listening to them this Friday and this weekend, and I'll update this thread after that - I want to burn them in for at least 100 hours though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods other than cables (Review in Progress)