or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › HUGE PROBLEM with a recent transaction: escalation on PayPal, please help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HUGE PROBLEM with a recent transaction: escalation on PayPal, please help. - Page 4

post #46 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilspeed111 View Post
 

 

This really makes my blood boil, except the last message. I'd rather throw a whole dictionary of swear words at him, but I won't.

What's going on in his head? Is it possible to show Paypal this conversation, so they drop the case? Looks like he just wants to waste your time and money. I hate these kind of people, just ruining other people's lifes. Of course, this isn't your whole life, but you know what I mean, this has probably been repeated in your head like a million times. I know it would be in my head.

 

I don't know how Paypal works with this kind of stuff, but you could try contacting them, and showing them the conversation. Be sure to left it unedited if you send it to them, so they won't have a doubt about it.

 

My respect to you, for handling this situation so calmly. I know I would've lost my ****.


I felt tempted to say some really bad things, trust me... I didn't. I thought: Maybe this is just what he wants me to do, so that he can feel even more superior.

post #47 of 65
Thread Starter 

The case is now closed. But I have the option to appeal PayPal's decision with further evidence....

PayPal appeals are a difficult thing and often lead to nothing, at least that's what some research on the internet revealed. Also, I don't think they see a private conversation as any kind of evidence.

Should I appeal? Is there even a realistic chance for me to succeed?

post #48 of 65
Paypal is absolutely useless! My mom order an antique clock on eBay paid through PayPal and never received it. When we started a dispute they didn't even investigate and said that because the seller has a tracking number this means that the seller is automatically in the right. No investigation what so ever about what happened to the package. Just straight up "tough luck, **** happens" attitude!

I agree with everyone else. Refuse the package when it comes and speak to PayPal directly. I think it was really unfair that they escalated the claim to a full refund without any input from you what so ever. They didn't even hear both side of the story. I think you should put a formal complaint through to them and demand they explain why they didn't ask you your side of events.

Sent from Moto G XT1033 w/ Faux kernel.
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AManAnd88Keys View Post
 

The case is now closed. But I have the option to appeal PayPal's decision with further evidence....

PayPal appeals are a difficult thing and often lead to nothing, at least that's what some research on the internet revealed. Also, I don't think they see a private conversation as any kind of evidence.

Should I appeal? Is there even a realistic chance for me to succeed?

 

You should, because it's not like it'll cost you anything more to do it, but frankly it's hopeless since you accepted the returned package (or had someone accept it for you). You should contact an admin and get this member banned though, because unlike what some say in this thread, if you sent a working product and he sent it back broken, he IS a scammer.

post #50 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe View Post
 

 

You should, because it's not like it'll cost you anything more to do it, but frankly it's hopeless since you accepted the returned package (or had someone accept it for you). You should contact an admin and get this member banned though, because unlike what some say in this thread, if you sent a working product and he sent it back broken, he IS a scammer.


Matches my thoughts... Thanks for your suggestions.

post #51 of 65

Dammm....feel so sorry for u bro. 

 

Gives me the jitters selling delicate stuff over continents... after reading this thread.

guess i will be selling LOCAL when it comes to tube amps or old amps.

post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AManAnd88Keys View Post
 


Matches my thoughts... Thanks for your suggestions.

Yeah, do it. Here's nothing left to lose. Explain everything very detailed, give them every single conversation, its their job so don't feel bad for them.

post #53 of 65

The bad faith buyer sounds arrogant, egotistical and selfish.......and self centred.......amazing! :mad:

post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe View Post
 

 

You should, because it's not like it'll cost you anything more to do it, but frankly it's hopeless since you accepted the returned package (or had someone accept it for you). You should contact an admin and get this member banned though, because unlike what some say in this thread, if you sent a working product and he sent it back broken, he IS a scammer.

Total waste of time. It would have been much easier to accept your fate and move on, 88. Lots of angst for something you can't control. You're not out much of anything except your time and shipping.

 

Don't get me wrong, I do side with you here as it sounds like the amp is fine. Is it?  Resell the amp if it's working. If not, I don't think the buyer is mistaken in wanting a repair or return, especially for a modified item. It's simply unfortunate but vintage doesn't mean anything here. It was understood by both of you to be used for it intended purpose and not destined for static display.

 

If in fact it wasn't working within 3 days while not having been tampered with, I would have marked it down to bad luck and moved on. If the buyer created the failure or there wasn't one, it's a bitter pill but hold your nose and swallow. There is a reasonable expectation of a buyer here as well and functioning for more than a couple days would be a reasonable one onless sold as is. You seem a reasonable sort but your argument with the buyer escalated to somewhat unreasonable on both sides from pushing each other and you not wanting to help him in any way if the unit had a problem, especially a modded one.

 

 All this refusing, escalating or reopening the case will just be more wasted time and frustration. Refusing the amp would would have just tied up your funds even longer. It's great to be right, which I suspect you mostly are as a 3rd party looking in from one side but it would be extremely frustrating to waste more time beating your head against the wall. Trust me, it will feel better once you stop. Sorry to hear of your problems with this transaction but I bet it will go great next time. The sooner that happens, the better you'll feel.:normal_smile : Just relating my experience from hundreds of Paypal transactions of both selling and buying. 


Edited by goodvibes - 4/13/14 at 12:51am
post #55 of 65

He is not in the USA, so your experience with PayPal doesn't relate, things go differently in Europe usually. The buyer doesn't have "all the rights", and I speak from experience. That said, it'll be hard to argue anymore since he accepted the returned package.

post #56 of 65
Thread Starter 

I appreciate your comments. I won't appeal this decision as I don't see how I could still win this.

The amp looks fine from the outside... I don't have the possibility to do some measurements. It's probably best to send it back to the guy who modified it and let him do the repairs (if necessary). If I am lucky it won't cost too much and I can resell it.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
(...)

 

You seem a reasonable sort but your argument with the buyer escalated to somewhat unreasonable on both sides from pushing each other and you not wanting to help him in any way if the unit had a problem, especially a modded one.

 

(...)

That's not correct. I tried to help him, but he refused to accept any advice. He decided early on that I had sent him a broken amp on purpose and nothing I said made him think otherwise. The buyer excpected me to pay for any repairs - without even asking me for that. He opened the claim because in his point of view I was acting irresponsible. 

post #57 of 65

The guy certainly didn't handle that very well, charge for his time what a joke.

 

I've had a few money back claims on ebay with paypal in the past. Usually I've not been too worried when the items were inexpensive, at that amount though, boy oh boy there would be hell to pay. My worst thing with paypal was when I first had $1000 in it. They asked for ID and proof of my address which took 4 weeks to work out for whatever reason that they did not update my account, with me being $1500 out of pocket with no item in my hands. It eventually turned out alright. Paypal is a pretty poor when it comes to actually looking into the cases, probably because they simply see millions of transactions weekly with 1000s of disputes. One must remember it could be anyone looking into your case, with there own bias or unprofessional attitude like any super large corperation.

post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIFi View Post
 

The guy certainly didn't handle that very well, charge for his time what a joke.

 

I've had a few money back claims on ebay with paypal in the past. Usually I've not been too worried when the items were inexpensive, at that amount though, boy oh boy there would be hell to pay. My worst thing with paypal was when I first had $1000 in it. They asked for ID and proof of my address which took 4 weeks to work out for whatever reason that they did not update my account, with me being $1500 out of pocket with no item in my hands. It eventually turned out alright. Paypal is a pretty poor when it comes to actually looking into the cases, probably because they simply see millions of transactions weekly with 1000s of disputes. One must remember it could be anyone looking into your case, with there own bias or unprofessional attitude like any super large corperation.

You do have a solid point here, that a lot of people work here and that they are a huge corporation, with millions of transactions daily, but in my eyes that shouldn't be at the cost of the users. The users pay for the service, so it should be alright. Of course sometimes mistakes happen, no-one is perfect..

post #59 of 65

No doubt it should not be at the cost of the user, that is wrong. However one must think that if they go through that many claims, do you expect that they spend hours investigating the case and all the details, or do they move it on asap? Unfairly, they usually couldn't care less as long as they get their money out of their fees, and sometimes by holding money allowing them to gain interest - sucks but don't expect much more from paypal as you usually won't get the help you deserve.

 

I'm not saying that what they do can be excused, but its the way it usually is.

post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIFi View Post

No doubt it should not be at the cost of the user, that is wrong. However one must think that if they go through that many claims, do you expect that they spend hours investigating the case and all the details, or do they move it on asap? Unfairly, they usually couldn't care less as long as they get their money out of their fees, and sometimes by holding money allowing them to gain interest - sucks but don't expect much more from paypal as you usually won't get the help you deserve.

I'm not saying that what they do can be excused, but its the way it usually is.

There's no excuse for what PayPal does.
Their customer service is terrible.
They just hang on to money to get interest for a few weeks.
Greed.
Three years from now, no one will remember them, competitors will swoop in and take their market share.
There's just too much money involved for them to NOT get some serious competition.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › HUGE PROBLEM with a recent transaction: escalation on PayPal, please help.