or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

<$600 Headphones - Page 2

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsprayer View Post
 

What is the best closed and/or open headphone that is able to be driven by the vali then? I want the best sound quality for under $600 running with the Vali and Modi. Maybe in the far future I could get a bottlehead crack


To answer that you need to talk to other folks who have that amp & that dac.  The best way to do that is to join in a discussion on the relevant thread or threads of the Heaphones Amps (Full Size) section of the Equipment Forum on these boards.

 

Nevertheless were I you and had $600 to spend, I would buy the HE-500 while it is available at closeout prices ($495 for B-stock currently at Razordog Audio or $539 new currently at TTVJ).  I'd put the balance aside for a new (or used) amp that will properly power the HE-500.  That will cost no more than $249 (say for a Argard 2) or perhaps much less.

 

To stay well within your budget get the HE-400 for no more the $299 new.  The Alpha Dog may be better, but it currently costs more than the HE-500.

post #17 of 27
I'd recommend you look at the Battle of the Flagship list again. There are several very good headphones in the ~$300 range rather A or A+. Pick one based upon those reviews (they are pretty accurate descriptions). Then put $100-$200 of your budget toward some IEMs or a portable set of closed headphones that you can use when walking around campus or when you want to study and/or want to use your headphones where open headphones would bother them.
Edited by cel4145 - 3/29/14 at 9:46pm
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 

For the HE-400 being half the price of the HE-500, how do they compare? I want a really nice headphone that will just blow me away from the DT 990s is it worth the extra $300++?

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsprayer View Post

For the HE-400 being half the price of the HE-500, how do they compare? I want a really nice headphone that will just blow me away from the DT 990s is it worth the extra $300++?

Did you read the Battle of the Flagship reviews that both KG Jag and I mentioned? Those are excellent descriptions of the HE-400 and HE-500. Use that to compare because they have different sound signatures. Some people do like the HE-400 better.

In fact, as far as getting "blown away," there's no guarantee that ANY headphone is going to do that for you. The DT990s are a very good headphone, and your particular listening tastes will be the greatest factor in whether or not YOU find another set of headphones to be a lot better. The only way to know that for sure is give some headphones a listen.
post #20 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Did you read the Battle of the Flagship reviews that both KG Jag and I mentioned? Those are excellent descriptions of the HE-400 and HE-500. Use that to compare because they have different sound signatures. Some people do like the HE-400 better.

In fact, as far as getting "blown away," there's no guarantee that ANY headphone is going to do that for you. The DT990s are a very good headphone, and your particular listening tastes will be the greatest factor in whether or not YOU find another set of headphones to be a lot better. The only way to know that for sure is give some headphones a listen.

I did read them, that's why I was asking the question. Both of them are Rated A+ and have only minor cons. The HE-400 may work better off the vali as well.

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsprayer View Post

I did read them, that's why I was asking the question. Both of them are Rated A+ and have only minor cons. The HE-400 may work better off the vali as well.

I agree. The HE-400 should be a little bit easier to drive than the HE-500s with the Vali because of their slightly higher sensitivity.
post #22 of 27

b4 going off to buy the He-400 or 500, i would recommend waiting abit. The He-560 just came out and is supposed to replace the older HE-500. The HE-400 line is also being updated to the HE-400i, so it might be worth waiting a month or so for those to come out.

post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriftyPo View Post

b4 going off to buy the He-400 or 500, i would recommend waiting abit. The He-560 just came out and is supposed to replace the older HE-500. The HE-400 line is also being updated to the HE-400i, so it might be worth waiting a month or so for those to come out.

Yeah, but then the HE-400s may not be available any more at $299. Good bet that price is because they are closing out that model.
post #24 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Yeah, but then the HE-400s may not be available any more at $299. Good bet that price is because they are closing out that model.

Would it better to pay more and get the 400i? I'm not sure I like the looks of the headband on it
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsprayer View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Yeah, but then the HE-400s may not be available any more at $299. Good bet that price is because they are closing out that model.

Would it better to pay more and get the 400i? I'm not sure I like the looks of the headband on it


It is not yet out.  No one (so far as I know) has listened to it.  Therefore we can't know yet.

 

I will tell you that selecting blind (and deaf) between the 400i and the 500, I would go with the 500.  I also don't remember seeing the specs for either of the new HifiMan models.  Unless someone else has, it is risky to assume that new and the old will be the same or even similar with regard to their respective Ohm and sensitivity ratings.

post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsprayer View Post

Would it better to pay more and get the 400i? I'm not sure I like the looks of the headband on it

Who knows? I don't think anyone has heard it yet, and new headphone models are not always improvements over old ones. So you can go with what is known for $300 with lots of recommendations from head-fiers, or wait and see. Never know. Might be like Windows 8 (LOL).
post #27 of 27
Thread Starter 

I talked to schiit and they said with the vali that they enjoyed the Mad dog pros over the HE-400, they even liked the Mad dogs over them. Since I am looking for closed more than open, I think I will get the Mad dog pros.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home