[For Sale] GRADO HP1000 HP1 with Joseph Grado’s improved earpads
Will Ship To: Anywhere
GRADO HP1000 HP1 with Joseph Grado’s improved earpads
Up for sale is my beloved GRADO HP1000 (HP1). This is my second and last pair of HP1000.
There are only 1,000 pairs of HP1000 in the market (cf. there are 10,000 pairs of AKG K1000). The story is that Joseph Grado made 1,000 pairs, discontinued the HP1000 production, and handed over the company to John Grado. Whether GRADO went downhill after Joe left the company is your decision to make, but the point is that HP1000 is very rare in the market. Plus the fact that HP1000 owners rarely put theirs up for sale. So these headphones don’t come up often.
As I said, this is my second and last pair of HP1000. My first pair is a vantage GR200 with “Blackstar” HP1000 drivers. The HP1000 I put up for sale here, being the original with matched transducers, bests my first pair in SQ and in construction with good reasons.
Besides being rare, what’s so special about the HP1000 drivers? They have been compared to the electrostatic, diffuse-field-reference Stax by John Atkinson of Stereophile (Google “Grado HP 1 headphones JA auditions the Grado & Stax headphones” for the review), and has recently been ranked by DavidMahler of Head-fi as better in SQ than the flagship headphones of yesteryear (e.g., Stax SR-007 MKII, AKG K1000) but also the modern reference (e.g., Audeze LCD-2, Beyerdynamic T1)!
Some details about these HP1000:
- As you can see from the photos, the transducers (you can see the BlackStar drivers there) are very clean.
- In terms of lettering, they are almost all gone as you can see from the photos. So if you do care about whether there are letterings printed clearly on the headphones, these are not probably for you.
- The earpads are the “upgraded” earpads that I acquired not long ago from Joseph Grado himself. It took him months, believe it or not (see this threat http://www.head-fi.org/t/622756/joseph-grado-signature-product-hp2i-upgraded-hp-1000-headphone-information-journal-and-comparative-review-on-hiatus to get a sense of how difficult it is now to get Mr. Joseph Grado to work). It has also been professionally recabled. And I also added a pad on the headband for comfort.
- If you want, I can throw in some GRADO “bowls” for you to compare. To my ears, HP1000 sounds so much better with the improved earpads. Indeed, it’s almost a sin to use the HP1000 with anything other than Joseph Grado’s pads : )
- I no longer have the original paper packaging. I do have a spare GRADO “pizza” box though; let me know if you want that.
SOLD plus shipping and 3% PayPal and shipping. For international shipping, please check with me for the exact shipping fee.
I have 100% positive trade feedback with a score of 50+ as a seller at fleabay. Please PM me if you want to see for reference.
Thanks for looking!
Edited by abchead - 3/29/14 at 10:36am