or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 - Page 17

post #241 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdinamo View Post

Thanks - that's great to hear. How different is the combo vs 1p2/Tera?
Also, how about sibilance on Ref 1? Any improvement there vs 1p2 which does have some sibilance, especially on warmer recordings - Louis Armstrong "What A Wonderful World" is a very obvious example.

No sibilance at all. It was hard to believe that it's a TWFK when I demo. Sounded very very smooth and refined to a point those who are used to 1p2 treble will even find the Ref1 a bit dark.
post #242 of 4329
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdinamo View Post
 

 

Thanks - that's great to hear. How different is the combo vs 1p2/Tera?

Also, how about sibilance on Ref 1? Any improvement there vs 1p2 which does have some sibilance, especially on warmer recordings - Louis Armstrong "What A Wonderful World" is a very obvious example.

Have not tried the song that you've mentioned above.  Due to Ref.1 with better low end and that helps compensate the weakness when TP pairs with 1Plus2 (bass roll off), the paring delivers much better balance than TP/1Plus2.  Also, the density of the mid is much richer in combination of the stronger low, it ends up with a much better overall balance and you would not find the high being too prominent or sibilance.

 

 

Forgot to mention that I was using the Tralucent New Silver for the above session.

post #243 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post
 

Have not tried the song that you've mentioned above.  

 

Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World" is the name of the song as well as the album it's on (that whole album has some sibilance issues with 1p2).

I'm still curious to hear some more about trade-offs between 1p2 and Ref 1 (especially on the treble side). The reason I bring this up is that for music that has a lot of guitar distortion 1p2 are the only iem's I have heard that do it justice (guitars have that beautiful distorted bite sound, and feeling of air moving that you typically only get on vinyl). Hopefully that is not lost due to the fact that treble on Ref 1 is reportedly a little darker?

Few artists on whose music this could be easily compared are Rolling Stones, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, and ZZ Top - if someone who has both 1p2 and Ref 1 and can listen to some music from those artists it would be great to hear some feedback on how the phones compare.

post #244 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


No sibilance at all. It was hard to believe that it's a TWFK when I demo. Sounded very very smooth and refined to a point those who are used to 1p2 treble will even find the Ref1 a bit dark.

 

You know, I'd agree with your sentiments about this. What I found also is that the Ref1 remains to be highly detailed but yet remains musical, involving, and not so "clinical" as the 1Plus2. I heard detail which I hadn't heard before in my listening session at the moment.

post #245 of 4329
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdinamo View Post
 

 

Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World" is the name of the song as well as the album it's on (that whole album has some sibilance issues with 1p2).

I'm still curious to hear some more about trade-offs between 1p2 and Ref 1 (especially on the treble side). The reason I bring this up is that for music that has a lot of guitar distortion 1p2 are the only iem's I have heard that do it justice (guitars have that beautiful distorted bite sound, and feeling of air moving that you typically only get on vinyl). Hopefully that is not lost due to the fact that treble on Ref 1 is reportedly a little darker?

Few artists on whose music this could be easily compared are Rolling Stones, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, and ZZ Top - if someone who has both 1p2 and Ref 1 and can listen to some music from those artists it would be great to hear some feedback on how the phones compare.

I do have Louis Armstrong's collections only not come to listening to the song that you've mentioned.

post #246 of 4329

It took 10 hours for the soundstage of my pair to form through normal usage. During that time, I texted Gavin to ask him why it was not like the pair that I auditioned. Once the sound stage was formed, I almost broke down in tear. Powerful stuff. Currently running silver/gold trrs to hm901 balance card.

 

At first, I dared not to connect to the loaner uber cable to Hugo especially with an empty wallet. I caved in and immediately noticed the  smoothness and tighter/realistic bass presentation. This uber is sublime high grade stuff like Siltech for my HD800. :o

post #247 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdinamo View Post
 

 

Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World" is the name of the song as well as the album it's on (that whole album has some sibilance issues with 1p2).

I'm still curious to hear some more about trade-offs between 1p2 and Ref 1 (especially on the treble side). The reason I bring this up is that for music that has a lot of guitar distortion 1p2 are the only iem's I have heard that do it justice (guitars have that beautiful distorted bite sound, and feeling of air moving that you typically only get on vinyl). Hopefully that is not lost due to the fact that treble on Ref 1 is reportedly a little darker?

Few artists on whose music this could be easily compared are Rolling Stones, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, and ZZ Top - if someone who has both 1p2 and Ref 1 and can listen to some music from those artists it would be great to hear some feedback on how the phones compare.

 

I have this album in 24/192 from HDTracks and often listen to it, but don't really find it sibilance with 1p2 via AK240 balanced?  Or I'm now becoming a treble head?!  In fact I'm listening to The Sunshine Of Love at I type.  Not really sibilance to me.


Edited by kkcc - 5/8/14 at 7:59am
post #248 of 4329

Anakchan, how does the Ref 1 pair with Sony ZX1? Do you have the silver/gold cable to test?

 

Too poor for Uber and AK240 lol.

post #249 of 4329
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 

It took 10 hours for the soundstage of my pair to form through normal usage. During that time, I texted Gavin to ask him why it was not like the pair that I auditioned. Once the sound stage was formed, I almost broke down in tear. Powerful stuff. Currently running silver/gold trrs to hm901 balance card.

 

At first, I dared not to connect to the loaner uber cable to Hugo especially with an empty wallet. I caved in and immediately noticed the  smoothness and tighter/realistic bass presentation. This uber is sublime high grade stuff like Siltech for my HD800. :o

Hello,

 

I've the Ref.1 run-in over night using an iPod and I've found it opens up a bit than the first day.  I'll do the same over the next few evenings in trying to pass through the run-in period less painful.

 

Cheers


Edited by flymetothemoon - 5/8/14 at 8:11am
post #250 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

You know, I'd agree with your sentiments about this. What I found also is that the Ref1 remains to be highly detailed but yet remains musical, involving, and not so "clinical" as the 1Plus2. I heard detail which I hadn't heard before in my listening session at the moment.

Is it 'FitEar' dark or a little livelier than that?
post #251 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post
 

Hello,

 

I've the Ref.1 run-in over night using and iPod and I've found it opens up a bit than the first day.  I'll do the same over the next few evenings in trying to pass through the run-in period less painful.

 

Cheers


I let them run-in in office today but had meetings back to back... only after returning home, the soundstage began to form... Thanks for the tip... I usually use Cowon J3 for run-in

post #252 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
 

 

I have this album in 24/192 from HDTracks and often listen to it, but don't really find it sibilance with 1p2 via AK240 balanced?  Or I'm now becoming a treble head?!

 

My version is the exact same 24/192 download from HDTracks. What's interesting is that I find that particular problem by far the most sibilant of all the music I have when I listen with 1p2.

When I use my RE-600 I hear no sibilance at all on that album (in both cases my source is Tera). Of course RE-600 can not hold a candle to 1p2 when it comes to pretty much any other music I own.

post #253 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post

 

 

Forgot to mention that I was using the Tralucent New Silver for the above session.

May I know what is the new Silver cable and how is it different from Silver/Gold?

post #254 of 4329
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

May I know what is the new Silver cable and how is it different from Silver/Gold?

I have very little knowledge about the original version of the Tralucent Silver and only know my version is a 2nd generation of the Silver (thinner and more flexible).

Anyone can fill this in on the original silver.

Comparing to the Silver/Gold, I've found the Silver is more to my liking in a way it's more open and honest while the Silver/Gold has a sense of restrain IMHO.
Edited by flymetothemoon - 5/8/14 at 9:06am
post #255 of 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post

Message to Tera Player owners :

After spending some time with my new AK240, today is the turn for my TP to try to Ref.1.

To cut it short...it's a perfect match. Beautiful music...the entire spectrum of frequencies are analog rich from low to high with density & power. I bet you'd love it.

Cheers

Very pleased to hear that...I'm glad now that I decided to keep my Tera!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1