Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Bough a ATH-A900X for PC use. Do I need anything else to get the full effect?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bough a ATH-A900X for PC use. Do I need anything else to get the full effect?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

Hi, I'm new to the scene here. Saw a decent deal on the ATH-A900X, and got one shipping out to me soon. I'm upgrading from HD 201's so hopefully it should be a nice upgrade. My question is, do I need to buy anything else to get the full effect? Do I need an amp? I have a Razer Barracuda AC 1 audio card, would that be good enough?

post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesn View Post
 

Hi, I'm new to the scene here. Saw a decent deal on the ATH-A900X, and got one shipping out to me soon. I'm upgrading from HD 201's so hopefully it should be a nice upgrade. My question is, do I need to buy anything else to get the full effect? Do I need an amp? I have a Razer Barracuda AC 1 audio card, would that be good enough?


Welcome and sorry about you're wallet

Audio card will be fine with any of the ATH series you won't miss anything

The longer you hang around here the more likely it is the upgrade bug will bite , my current "best" rig ran to around $4.5k and that is modest compared to some

post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesn View Post
 

Hi, I'm new to the scene here. Saw a decent deal on the ATH-A900X, and got one shipping out to me soon. I'm upgrading from HD 201's so hopefully it should be a nice upgrade. My question is, do I need to buy anything else to get the full effect? Do I need an amp? I have a Razer Barracuda AC 1 audio card, would that be good enough?

 

Her is some third party drivers for your sound card.

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

 

Also you might consider getting Hifiman HE Velour ear pads ($10+shipping), they help on holding the headphones in place.


Edited by PurpleAngel - 3/27/14 at 11:20am
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

Her is some third party drivers for your sound card.

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

 

Also you might consider getting Hifiman HE Velour ear pads ($10+shipping), they help on the headphones in place.

 

Didn't even know there were third party drivers. Thanks, I should try them out.

post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesn View Post
 

 

Didn't even know there were third party drivers. Thanks, I should try them out.

 

It appears the audio processor used in the Barracuda is a re-badged C-Media audio processor.

post #6 of 6

Isn't the Barracuda an old soundcard? Why not upgrade? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Bough a ATH-A900X for PC use. Do I need anything else to get the full effect?