or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Random Topic Audio Discussion Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random Topic Audio Discussion Thread. - Page 3  

post #31 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainHeaven View Post


I listen exclusively to EDM mainly from Japan. I started with an entry rig of $450 to mid-fi rig of $1350. It was a pretty huge leap in sound quality and it is money well spent for me. As long as I can noticeably hear the improvements in sound and am able to enjoy my music, I'm happy :P

 

I do love that around here "mid-fi" is $1350, LOL. 

post #32 of 151
I thought my $500 rig was mid-fi...
Heck I thought my $300 portable rig would be mid-fi.

I think getting LCD-2's might bump me up to true mid-fi
post #33 of 151
Idk man, my lcd-3 and and cavalli liquid gold was my first trash-fi set up, looking to upgrade here soon.
post #34 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

I do love that around here "mid-fi" is $1350, LOL. 
I don't really know what you consider it to be, but that's what it is to me
post #35 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainHeaven View Post


I don't really know what you consider it to be, but that's what it is to me

 

I think once you're over $1000 on a setup, it's high. Mid-Fi to me would be $500-1000. Low-fi (meaning lower priced but still quality) would be $100-500. Under $100 and we're mostly talking casual consumer.

 

I do understand how it doesn't necessarily FEEL like that. Added together and the M100/Verza combo (counting XL pads, tax, etc) is around $1000 but I'd be hard pressed to call that high-end. 

post #36 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

I think once you're over $1000 on a setup, it's high. Mid-Fi to me would be $500-1000. Low-fi (meaning lower priced but still quality) would be $100-500. Under $100 and we're mostly talking casual consumer.

I do understand how it doesn't necessarily FEEL like that. Added together and the M100/Verza combo (counting XL pads, tax, etc) is around $1000 but I'd be hard pressed to call that high-end. 
The Verza is a good device but it's really overpriced.
LCD-2, an ODAC, ASL MG Head OTL MK3 together will have costed me less than $1000, but it seems like a hi-fi setup to me.
post #37 of 151
Thread Starter 
Lol. Beats pro detox are mid-fi, yet my better sounding setup of an e11, with a pair of JVC ha-m55x's (or a pair of harx900's I'm getting next week) is low fi... Lol. I think low, mid, high, and summit fi should be based on sound, not price.
post #38 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

I think once you're over $1000 on a setup, it's high. Mid-Fi to me would be $500-1000. Low-fi (meaning lower priced but still quality) would be $100-500. Under $100 and we're mostly talking casual consumer

Ah okay. The reason why I think that amount of money is mid-fi (to me) is because there are headphone amps and dacs that cost $1000+ alone. I guess it'll put those in the super hifi category.
post #39 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainHeaven View Post


Ah okay. The reason why I think that amount of money is mid-fi (to me) is because there are headphone amps and dacs that cost $1000+ alone. I guess it'll put those in the super hifi category.

 

Yeah. I mean I agree totally. I have the Pandora Hope VI incoming and paired up with a Verza that's about $1300 and it doesn't really feel like I'm up in the higher echelons of audio equipment, but at the same time... it's over a grand on personal audio equipment. A thousand bucks only feels like middle of the pack from the lens of audiophilia, for most people if you say you spent a quarter of that on headphones that's extravagant. The notion of having an amp AT ALL for headphones sounds crazy, let alone a big bulky one that sits on a desk.

 

I like the idea of "Summit-Fi" being the term for the insanely expensive stuff that only the truly dedicated aficionados dabble in, because that really is its own beast. 

post #40 of 151
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainHeaven View Post

Ah okay. The reason why I think that amount of money is mid-fi (to me) is because there are headphone amps and dacs that cost $1000+ alone. I guess it'll put those in the super hifi category.
ok, new fi list. Garbage fi=0-19$ consumer fi=20-80$ starter fi=81-150$ low fi=151-400$ mid fi=401-1000$ summit fi=1001-3000$ Olympus Mons fi=3001$+
post #41 of 151
Thread Starter 
Do we have an agreement on the prices, or shall we discuss?
post #42 of 151

Is that for the headphones themselves? If so, I agree 100%. 

post #43 of 151
audio good

audio very good
post #44 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

I do notice that. The term "audiophile" seems to be code for "listens to old classical". You read reviews and they'll say things like "I tested the bass on these headphones with a pipe organ sonata". 


Ummmm.....because it's a good bench mark?
Seriously, you're joking, right?

Classical music, the sound of unamplified acoustic instruments.....
Can your stereo come close to reproducing the sound of live, unamplified acoustic music?
post #45 of 151
Thread Starter 
Yep, just for the cans themselves... And that would mean I'm still in the consumer fi category. Lol.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Random Topic Audio Discussion Thread.