Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = - Page 553

post #8281 of 8295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatsare1 View Post

My findings are a bit different, though I have the added variables of using Cute's DYI Cable and now the Draug 2, both of which extend and tighten the bass considerably. I don't want to get back into the Sound Science Debate, it is in my experience, IMO only. The combination of the grill mod and this cabling opens up the soundstage, without affecting tone or bass (Conquistador you are using the Production Pads as well, aren't you?). It takes a great HP and makes it exceptional, IMO, I am looking forward to comparing mine to the HE6 and HD800's in Nashville!

 

Can you elaborate about the sonic differences you perceive with the Draug 2? Would you say the difference is of a greater or lesser magnitude than that introduced by the grill mod?

post #8282 of 8295
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjj89 View Post

Can you elaborate about the sonic differences you perceive with the Draug 2? Would you say the difference is of a greater or lesser magnitude than that introduced by the grill mod?

Different and complimentary to the grill mod, gotta get on the road to Nashville, other ears will have a chance too listen tomorrow, more to come!
post #8283 of 8295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatsare1 View Post

^Though this all started out as an ABX test of Mp3's versus FLAC of the same recording. Too me the Mp3's sound "wooly", lacking body and presence versus FLAC recordings. My concern is that it will be music that we all are not familiar with, perhaps on equipment we don't know, but in my open label testing it is very apparent when switching between formats, with music I am familiar with, on my equipment, I am looking forward to seeing if we can replicate that, Thurston, may we borrow the Lab? 😜
The biggest difference i hear between mp3 or vinyl 24/96 rips is the loss of soundstage..the mp3' s sound more as they are playing in a horizontal row instead of more 3d...there is a biggest sense of space in wav 24/96 compared to mp3.. Especially if u use older material to compare..(thats minimally compressed as almost all modern artist do nowadays) like queen or pink floyd or enya or even kate bush among others....if u compare those with mp3 versions even almost deaf people would hear differences on my rig...i know as i still have mp3 coded 320 music which is rare..so i keep them..but bit by bit i am replacing them with the wav versions..and before i delete the mp3 i compare it always with the new version so i am sure it actually sounds better..as there are many mp3's coded as flac...so they are fake flac'/s. U can only know when u listen to them...
post #8284 of 8295

Another benefit of using more open grilles is the weight. The stock grilles are actually pretty heavy, while my grilles are feather light. This increases wearing comfort significantly for me as the headphone simply feels lighter and less clampy, enhancing an already excellent comfort even more.

post #8285 of 8295
Wav FLAC vs regular FLAC, there's a difference even with compressed FLAC at 1000kbps? Let's just say both are 16/44 source files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

The biggest difference i hear between mp3 or vinyl 24/96 rips is the loss of soundstage..the mp3' s sound more as they are playing in a horizontal row instead of more 3d...there is a biggest sense of space in wav 24/96 compared to mp3.. Especially if u use older material to compare..(thats minimally compressed as almost all modern artist do nowadays) like queen or pink floyd or enya or even kate bush among others....if u compare those with mp3 versions even almost deaf people would hear differences on my rig...i know as i still have mp3 coded 320 music which is rare..so i keep them..but bit by bit i am replacing them with the wav versions..and before i delete the mp3 i compare it always with the new version so i am sure it actually sounds better..as there are many mp3's coded as flac...so they are fake flac'/s. U can only know when u listen to them...
000kbps?
post #8286 of 8295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

Wav FLAC vs regular FLAC, there's a difference even with compressed FLAC at 1000kbps? Let's just say both are 16/44 source files.
000kbps?

I don't think there is a difference between wav or flac or flac ripped from wav. the whole point of lossless data is nothing gets lost! :) hahah.

post #8287 of 8295
Sound science again?
post #8288 of 8295
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

I don't think there is a difference between wav or flac or flac ripped from wav. the whole point of lossless data is nothing gets lost! smily_headphones1.gif hahah.
I dont know about that..technically it shouldnt matter..but..i spoke with a audio techincal engineer who is into 'audio grade pc's' also and he told me compressed flac and their original, wav, could (and i say could) sound different..as flac is compressed like rar for files...the cpu (=interference) has to work everytime to uncompress them and sometimes the driver used to do that isnt perfect..so u could lose some musical fidelity in the proces...wav is pure..no compression or decoding to do by the cpu or usage of any drivers etc.

But that dude is a extreme perfectionist..he made an audio grade pc of two pc's linked together..usin one pc as mechanish and the other as driver base (NO windows screen.. Only some kind of dos or something) and an ipad to change music etc...or somethin..he doesnt even have a windows screen...he uses ms windows server something...and all but most critical processes are shut down on both pc's! He says in so u have the least Inteference...well..i tried it on my rig..and indeed it helps..but to invest 1500euro in such a duo pc is a bit to much for what it improves...
Edited by hifimanrookie - Today at 9:02 am
post #8289 of 8295

Take this new discussion to a different forum page.  its just gonna congest an already busy discussion

post #8290 of 8295

I think if you can hear a real difference between a FLAC decoded on the fly, and the uncompressed WAV version of the same, you need to find a new FLAC decoder, or examine your PC hardware.  And think about the playback path.  Are you using USB on a system with iffy-to-schiity USB power management?  If so, and even with better than average USB, you could still hear the odd glitch.  Are you using optical or coax S/P-DIF out?  Check your soundcard and drivers... if you hear a difference.  There are a lot of factors that can come into play, but with a half-decent system, you shouldn't hear a difference.

 

My $0.02.  Back to your regularly scheduled non-HE-560 discussions ;)

post #8291 of 8295
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

Another benefit of using more open grilles is the weight. The stock grilles are actually pretty heavy, while my grilles are feather light. This increases wearing comfort significantly for me as the headphone simply feels lighter and less clampy, enhancing an already excellent comfort even more.

 

Oh no, please don't tempt me!

 

On that note, bending the headband can also help significantly with comfort, and I have noticed that when there is less clamping force, my head relaxes slightly, and as a result, my perception of the sound changes slightly as well.

 

The HE-560 with a slightly loose clamping force to me sounds a bit more relaxed and spacious. It's still more aggressive than my DT880, but in terms of soundstaging, I think the HE-560 is superior, which means... it has better soundstaging than I can remember of any ortho.

 

Also bass hits harder when there is less clamping force IMO.

 

Anyway, I'm assembling a semi-final version of my amp today... with a beefier power supply section, and buffers for more current, so let's see how the HE-560 deals with more power... :beerchug:

post #8292 of 8295
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmedrz View Post
 

Many folks say there's no difference between lossy and lossless. 

 

I encourage everyone to take a bunch of your HQ music files downconvert to MP3, throw all into a playlist, set it on shuffle, and see if you can tell the difference by the time the song is over. 

 

And what, pray-tell, does this have to do with my comment on headphone 'modifications'?

post #8293 of 8295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

I think if you can hear a real difference between a FLAC decoded on the fly, and the uncompressed WAV version of the same, you need to find a new FLAC decoder, or examine your PC hardware.  And think about the playback path.  Are you using USB on a system with iffy-to-schiity USB power management?  If so, and even with better than average USB, you could still hear the odd glitch.  Are you using optical or coax S/P-DIF out?  Check your soundcard and drivers... if you hear a difference.  There are a lot of factors that can come into play, but with a half-decent system, you shouldn't hear a difference.

My $0.02.  Back to your regularly scheduled non-HE-560 discussions wink.gif
Well already know the switching powersupply of my 1000usd worth of asus laptop is rubbish anyway ...so am looking for a better quality lineair powersupply to replace it with... wink.gif
post #8294 of 8295
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

Well already know the switching powersupply of my 1000usd worth of asus laptop is rubbish anyway ...so am looking for a better quality lineair powersupply to replace it with... wink.gif

 

I reckon about $15 (on the profit side, not the wholesale side) of that $1000 laptop went into considering and choosing the power supply ;)  Soldier on, HiFi :)

post #8295 of 8295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post
 

 

Oh no, please don't tempt me!

 

On that note, bending the headband can also help significantly with comfort, and I have noticed that when there is less clamping force, my head relaxes slightly, and as a result, my perception of the sound changes slightly as well.

 

The HE-560 with a slightly loose clamping force to me sounds a bit more relaxed and spacious. It's still more aggressive than my DT880, but in terms of soundstaging, I think the HE-560 is superior, which means... it has better soundstaging than I can remember of any ortho.

 

Also bass hits harder when there is less clamping force IMO.

 

Anyway, I'm assembling a semi-final version of my amp today... with a beefier power supply section, and buffers for more current, so let's see how the HE-560 deals with more power... :beerchug:

It makes it technically a better headphone IMO and it's also fully reversible :D

Do it :veryevil:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =