Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = - Page 286

post #4276 of 5824

What's slightly concerning?

post #4277 of 5824
I am not sure whether or not I'll like them redface.gif
post #4278 of 5824

Some preliminary impressions from 6moons:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/hifiman/3.html

 

Having heard/reviewed three Audeze whilst owning their pre-Fazor LCD-2; having written up numerous HifiMans, Oppo's flagship ortho and two dogs from Dan Clark's MrSpeakers kennel, I feel confident that the planarmagnetic breed has a general propensity for minor darkness and lush midband textures. Anyone arriving in ortholand from Sennheiser's HD800 or AKG's K-812 would instantly hone into this treble difference. So would fans of electrostatic cans from Stax (I've not heard the KingSound equivalents). Not so with the HE-560. It's the first ortho in my experience to graft atop the typical planarmagnetic signature an electrostatic-type treble. Particularly fresh out of the box and when driven from a very wide-bandwidth current-source amp like Bakoon or Questyle, the HE-560 will sound uncharacteristically bright and lit up not just for an ortho. Here break-in becomes a mellowing agent. But even afterwards the HE-560 will never need this type of accelerating light-injection amp to compensate like my chunky chocolaty LCD-2 most certainly do. This latest HifiMan is a planar the HD800/K812 crowd could love. That's big news.

 

To summarize, the HE-560 doesn't have much of the warm/lush sonic characteristics of planarmagnetics and sounds more airy and treble-happy, like an HD800. If so, I think the HE-560 would be a better match with an aftermarket copper cable than a silver one.

post #4279 of 5824
Pretty much cements my assumption that the HE-560 wouldn't be a headphone for me, at least in terms of an end be all headphone. I'm of the LCD2/HD650 loving crowd. Though having really enjoyed the Alpha Dog, I wouldn't say the HE-560's sonic presentation wouldn't be enjoyable.

I'm definitely most hyped for the 400i.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/2/14 at 11:58pm
post #4280 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post
 

Some preliminary impressions from 6moons:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/hifiman/3.html

 

Having heard/reviewed three Audeze whilst owning their pre-Fazor LCD-2; having written up numerous HifiMans, Oppo's flagship ortho and two dogs from Dan Clark's MrSpeakers kennel, I feel confident that the planarmagnetic breed has a general propensity for minor darkness and lush midband textures. Anyone arriving in ortholand from Sennheiser's HD800 or AKG's K-812 would instantly hone into this treble difference. So would fans of electrostatic cans from Stax (I've not heard the KingSound equivalents). Not so with the HE-560. It's the first ortho in my experience to graft atop the typical planarmagnetic signature an electrostatic-type treble. Particularly fresh out of the box and when driven from a very wide-bandwidth current-source amp like Bakoon or Questyle, the HE-560 will sound uncharacteristically bright and lit up not just for an ortho. Here break-in becomes a mellowing agent. But even afterwards the HE-560 will never need this type of accelerating light-injection amp to compensate like my chunky chocolaty LCD-2 most certainly do. This latest HifiMan is a planar the HD800/K812 crowd could love. That's big news.

 

To summarize, the HE-560 doesn't have much of the warm/lush sonic characteristics of planarmagnetics and sounds more airy and treble-happy, like an HD800. If so, I think the HE-560 would be a better match with an aftermarket copper cable than a silver one.

 

That treble happy nature seems to go away with use...  I'm not sure if its actually break in or not, but it does go away.  Speaking of which, Cute, how long has you used the HE-560 for? 

post #4281 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post
 

Some preliminary impressions from 6moons:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/hifiman/3.html

 

Having heard/reviewed three Audeze whilst owning their pre-Fazor LCD-2; having written up numerous HifiMans, Oppo's flagship ortho and two dogs from Dan Clark's MrSpeakers kennel, I feel confident that the planarmagnetic breed has a general propensity for minor darkness and lush midband textures. Anyone arriving in ortholand from Sennheiser's HD800 or AKG's K-812 would instantly hone into this treble difference. So would fans of electrostatic cans from Stax (I've not heard the KingSound equivalents). Not so with the HE-560. It's the first ortho in my experience to graft atop the typical planarmagnetic signature an electrostatic-type treble. Particularly fresh out of the box and when driven from a very wide-bandwidth current-source amp like Bakoon or Questyle, the HE-560 will sound uncharacteristically bright and lit up not just for an ortho. Here break-in becomes a mellowing agent. But even afterwards the HE-560 will never need this type of accelerating light-injection amp to compensate like my chunky chocolaty LCD-2 most certainly do. This latest HifiMan is a planar the HD800/K812 crowd could love. That's big news.

 

To summarize, the HE-560 doesn't have much of the warm/lush sonic characteristics of planarmagnetics and sounds more airy and treble-happy, like an HD800. If so, I think the HE-560 would be a better match with an aftermarket copper cable than a silver one.

 

That treble happy nature seems to go away with use...  I'm not sure if its actually break in or not, but it does go away.  Speaking of which, Cute, how long has you used the HE-560 for? 

 

Ran them 24/7 for the 10 days I have had them, on my second system!

post #4282 of 5824
You do realize this treble going away in time stuff is just the pads compressing and your brain adjusting, right? smily_headphones1.gif
post #4283 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post

You do realize this treble going away in time stuff is just the pads compressing and your brain adjusting, right? smily_headphones1.gif

 

Some say that... Others say it's the diaphram loosening up.. Whatever the reason isn't important. What matters is it happens over time. :P

post #4284 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I will gladly temporarily trade you mine later on.  I feel I need to give HD800 an extended try to get rid of my bias against it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

LOL, that might reinforce your bias.

Haha these two posts remind me of my hate and now love for my hd800.

I am still biased with memories of hate for them even though now, they are now anax modded and also using Cardas cable so they're giving me my best sound (!)..

I am hoping the he560 can make me hate them again! lol.
post #4285 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

Haha these two posts remind me of my hate and now love for my hd800.

I am still biased with memories of hate for them even though now, they are now anax modded and also using Cardas cable so they're giving me my best sound (!)..

I am hoping the he560 can make me hate them again! lol.

The thing with the rug liner and creatology foam? What do ya think about them? Mine are anax modded too

 

I don't think they hit my sweet spot (as in end-game sweet spot). They are just not 100% right to my ears, not neutral. It's a tough one when e-stats are the competition at least, so I have mixed feelings as well.

 

I'll look forward to HE-560 impressions and perhaps a comparison!

post #4286 of 5824
good to see some measurements and listening impressions coming through. veneer finish notwithstanding i'm looking forward to hearing this can.
post #4287 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post

You do realize this treble going away in time stuff is just the pads compressing and your brain adjusting, right? smily_headphones1.gif

 

This.  Also, please spell Alison with one "l" not two...Cute (cough cough). :wink:

post #4288 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post

You do realize this treble going away in time stuff is just the pads compressing and your brain adjusting, right? smily_headphones1.gif

This.  Also, please spell Alison with one "l" not two...Cute (cough cough). wink.gif
And Krauss with ss, not se wink.gif
post #4289 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

The thing with the rug liner and creatology foam? What do ya think about them? Mine are anax modded too..
Edit:
Although the 2.0 is easily the best mod version yet,
It is still not optimal as it destroys soundstage especially in the increased bass area,
but backing off on the foam brings it close to original levels.

It is ok though and I am guessing that the he560 may be equal to the hd800 soundstage in it's modded state..
Edited by Maxx134 - 7/3/14 at 6:16am
post #4290 of 5824
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

I'm just surprised you were so emphatic about keeping the production 560 over the preorder one, even though it's more colored in the lower treble (6-7db as opposed to 2-3db), and are now vocally expressing displeasure with the same region.

 

I really wanna know if it's an issue with the new pads or not.

My post #153: "And be sure to try the Pre560 pads on the New560! I found this to be the most neutral setup. I also remove the outer grills, too."

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =