Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = - Page 282

post #4216 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post


Thanks, I suspect I will be ordering my 560 today, just making up my mind about also keeping the HP50, or selling it. I will keep the HP50 for a time to compare directly as I think such a comparison is needed. Like me, I think there are other users out there with a decent performing mid-tier can who wonder if spending double nets you any significant gain in sound quality (different sound signatures aside as much as possible). I will then post a review of my subjective experience here in this thread. Thanks again.

Having the K612 as my current reference headphone... We basically are on the same boat wink.gif
post #4217 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 


Thanks, I suspect I will be ordering my 560 today, just making up my mind about also keeping the HP50, or selling it. I will keep the HP50 for a time to compare directly as I think such a comparison is needed. Like me, I think there are other users out there with a decent performing mid-tier can who wonder if spending double nets you any significant gain in sound quality (different sound signatures aside as much as possible). I will then post a review of my subjective experience here in this thread. Thanks again.

 

The HP50 makes a great portable headphone, personally, that's what I'd do with it ;) 

post #4218 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post


Having the K612 as my current reference headphone... We basically are on the same boat wink.gif


Not such a bad boat to be in. Just ordered my 560 a few minutes ago and the vendor RazorDog expects stock on Friday! Really looking forward to the new sound signature as I always wondered about the HE series after liking what I heard from a 400 at a head meet here in Ottawa.

post #4219 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post


Not such a bad boat to be in. Just ordered my 560 a few minutes ago and the vendor RazorDog expects stock on Friday! Really looking forward to the new sound signature as I always wondered about the HE series after liking what I heard from a 400 at a head meet here in Ottawa.

It's a cruise boat at that, where wallets are depleted cool.gif
My Stereodesk dealer should have them in stock these week as well.
With luck, I might receive them within the next week smily_headphones1.gif
post #4220 of 17601


IMO, there is something in the vocals, both male and female, that sounds like they are a little grainy, tizzy, or some unusual vibration at certain frequencies in their voice.  Maybe it is just the detail level causing what I hear, but it is not present in my Alpha Dogs or Ultrasones.   The Alpha Dogs and Ultrasones are more clear in that area.  It doesn't sound to me as poor mastering or genre specific.  This is something that I heard in the preorder Rev. 1 as well.  It seems like it is in the frequency range that made some other phones shouty.  I haven't tried it, but I may try to use a little EQ in the mid range to see if I can determine the frequency, and if it can be eliminated. 

post #4221 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post


IMO, there is something in the vocals, both male and female, that sounds like they are a little grainy, tizzy, or some unusual vibration at certain frequencies in their voice.  Maybe it is just the detail level causing what I hear, but it is not present in my Alpha Dogs or Ultrasones.   The Alpha Dogs and Ultrasones are more clear in that area.  It doesn't sound to me as poor mastering or genre specific.  This is something that I heard in the preorder Rev. 1 as well.  It seems like it is in the frequency range that made some other phones shouty.  I haven't tried it, but I may try to use a little EQ in the mid range to see if I can determine the frequency, and if it can be eliminated. 

Interesting. I am very sensitive to that kind of thing.
Should receive mine in a fortnight latest so I'll make sure to pay attention to everything!
My current K612 is pretty shouty and that's the one thing I DON'T like about them... And a lack of air!
post #4222 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post
 


IMO, there is something in the vocals, both male and female, that sounds like they are a little grainy, tizzy, or some unusual vibration at certain frequencies in their voice.  Maybe it is just the detail level causing what I hear, but it is not present in my Alpha Dogs or Ultrasones.   The Alpha Dogs and Ultrasones are more clear in that area.  It doesn't sound to me as poor mastering or genre specific.  This is something that I heard in the preorder Rev. 1 as well.  It seems like it is in the frequency range that made some other phones shouty.  I haven't tried it, but I may try to use a little EQ in the mid range to see if I can determine the frequency, and if it can be eliminated. 

Scary :eek: 

I sold my Alpha Dog in part to finance the HE-560


Edited by Rudiger - 7/2/14 at 12:01pm
post #4223 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

 

The HP50 makes a great portable headphone, personally, that's what I'd do with it ;) 


No, they aren't great as a portable for me once it get's hot. I found them very hot and just not portable in the late spring summer. Despite being I=in cold Ottawa, our summers are very hot and humid. I like my M80s as portables.

post #4224 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

Interesting. I am very sensitive to that kind of thing.
Should receive mine in a fortnight latest so I'll make sure to pay attention to everything!
My current K612 is pretty shouty and that's the one thing I DON'T like about them... And a lack of air!

Regarding the shoutiness on the K612 it is likely the 2khz region that is the culprit as the K612 has a bit of a boost there. The HE-560 possible grain mentioned could be in the 2-4 kHz region somewhere which is sometimes a culprit of grain in the vocals.
Edited by kman1211 - 7/2/14 at 12:04pm
post #4225 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 


No, they aren't great as a portable for me once it get's hot. I found them very hot and just not portable in the late spring summer. Despite being I=in cold Ottawa, our summers are very hot and humid. I like my M80s as portables.

 

That's something I wasn't able to test...  It was December when I tested them...  Right before the solar vortex hit Chicago and all the neighboring cities...  That was a rough winter. 

post #4226 of 17601

deleted


Edited by Rudiger - 7/2/14 at 12:12pm
post #4227 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post


IMO, there is something in the vocals, both male and female, that sounds like they are a little grainy, tizzy, or some unusual vibration at certain frequencies in their voice.  Maybe it is just the detail level causing what I hear, but it is not present in my Alpha Dogs or Ultrasones.   The Alpha Dogs and Ultrasones are more clear in that area.  It doesn't sound to me as poor mastering or genre specific.  This is something that I heard in the preorder Rev. 1 as well.  It seems like it is in the frequency range that made some other phones shouty.  I haven't tried it, but I may try to use a little EQ in the mid range to see if I can determine the frequency, and if it can be eliminated. 

Interesting. I am very sensitive to that kind of thing.
Should receive mine in a fortnight latest so I'll make sure to pay attention to everything!
My current K612 is pretty shouty and that's the one thing I DON'T like about them... And a lack of air!

 

I used my Parmetric EQ and did a -5db at 3000hz and a -8db at 4000hz and what I described is gone.  The settings are general, not too specific, but the bandwidth Q was set at 5 with the 3000hz setting, which is fairly wide.  The Q was 1.6 at the 4000hz setting, so it is that region I am hearing what is described.  Not all vocals, listening to Vince Gill, so this is one specific vocalist, and I have a dozen of his albums.  I am going to use these Parametric EQ setting while listening to the HE560 to see what other vocals may or may not exhibit this.  I can say what I hear now is a lot closer to the Alpha Dogs and Ultrasones with no EQ settings.  Sounding really nice, more like it should with the EQ on the HE560!  The FR graphs posted earlier show that 3000hz to 5000hz is elevated 5 - 7db.

post #4228 of 17601

There's a dip at 2khz, or a hump at 4khz, depending on how you look at it.  Lowering the hump at 4khz down by that much probably isn't a good solution, as it would make the headphone be shelved after 1khz, and not as smooth of a transition in the upper midrange and lower treble.  A combination of a slight raise at 2khz and a slight reduction at 4khz would probably be a better idea.


Edited by TMRaven - 7/2/14 at 1:07pm
post #4229 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post
 


IMO, there is something in the vocals, both male and female, that sounds like they are a little grainy, tizzy, or some unusual vibration at certain frequencies in their voice.  Maybe it is just the detail level causing what I hear, but it is not present in my Alpha Dogs or Ultrasones.   The Alpha Dogs and Ultrasones are more clear in that area.  It doesn't sound to me as poor mastering or genre specific.  This is something that I heard in the preorder Rev. 1 as well.  It seems like it is in the frequency range that made some other phones shouty.  I haven't tried it, but I may try to use a little EQ in the mid range to see if I can determine the frequency, and if it can be eliminated. 

 

I personally don't hear this...  However, try looking at the 3 kHz or 4-4.5 kHz ranges... 

post #4230 of 17601
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

There's a dip at 2khz, or a hump at 4khz, depending on how you look at it.  Lowering the hump at 4khz down by that much probably isn't a good solution, as it would make the headphone be shelved after 1khz, and not as smooth of a transition in the upper midrange and lower treble.  A combination of a slight raise at 2khz and a slight reduction at 4khz would probably be a better idea.

 

Take a look at this innerfideilty measurement of the 560 that I made using a combination of references. (DISCLAIMER, FAKE MEASUREMENT)

 

 

 

The light gray line that you see on the compensated and raw charts I drew is what you should be aiming for to alleviate any possible problems in that area.

 

I'm not that well versed on the technicalites of EQ, I just go by what my ears hear.  I don't have a problem with a lot of vocals...so far with, Vince Gill, Linda Ronstadt, Allison Krause, I get a lot better listening experience with those on the HE560 with my Parametric EQ settings, I may notice more vocals with and without EQ.  The Alpha Dogs are fairly flat in the 2khz to 6khz area, which is why the vocals don't exhibit the problem I hear with the HE560.  I'm sure others with more experience with EQ could do a much better job, but I did get the effect I was looking for.  From what I have read in the past, is if you EQ, never EQ up, only use EQ down for the best results.

 

Thanks for your post @TMRaven!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =