or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = - Page 28

post #406 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

Me too I wonder which is better...
So try one cup felt and other cup foam.. Lol

 

You funny :p  That schiit (esp. the foam) is a PITA to peel off.  Always some left over to scrape.

 

I reckon @jerg looked at felt and foam and chose felt for the reason mentioned.  I don't have them in front of me, but I was thinking the foam and thick felt were roughly the same thickness.  Granted, the felt will compress/spread out more, but the having used the foam on the back vent mod, it will definitely compress, too.  If it's not too thick, it seems like it would be the better of the two to enhance the contact/fill the gaps.

post #407 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

This is not affecting seal in any way, shape, or form, unlike bass ports. I already thought it through before trying this yesterday whether it would affect anything else, and really there is felt already under the baffles, adding more felt just improves very low frequency conduction, nothing else. Only very low frequencies are conductive through material, anything over 50 Hz mostly propagates through air.

 

See, I knew I'd get an intelligent answer :)

 

I was hoping to avoid poking holes in things, as I like totally reversible, but it seems that step is necessary, or at least more desirable.

post #408 of 17297
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

See, I knew I'd get an intelligent answer :)

 

I was hoping to avoid poking holes in things, as I like totally reversible, but it seems that step is necessary, or at least more desirable.

You really shouldn't need to do the extra tedious step, it was mostly to feed by pseudo-OCD.

post #409 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

I already sent a PM to Fang describing what I found about the baffles. Chill out people.

 

 

 

Nah I'd say now it's about on par in extension to HE500s (that have not had this mod) now.

So what do you think if HE 500 did the same mod? will it just make it into one of those bass tilt headphones?

post #410 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

You really shouldn't need to do the extra tedious step, it was mostly to feed by pseudo-OCD.

 

I suppose not.  If the new holes you made in the baffle were absolutely necessary, then Fang and Co. would have had to make them prior to assembly.  And since the felt goes on driver, the holes in the baffle could be added later.  So, this is reversible, as with the Q701 mod.  Excellent.

post #411 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chik0240 View Post
 

So what do you think if HE 500 did the same mod? will it just make it into one of those bass tilt headphones?

 

Hopefully I'll have some subjective comparisons before and after, though my HE-500s are far from stock.

post #412 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

Hopefully I'll have some subjective comparisons before and after, though my HE-500s are far from stock.

So when are breaking the news of your next headphone acquisition to Luvey?

post #413 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

So when are breaking the news of your next headphone acquisition to Luvey?

 

LOL.  After she gets her Mini Cooper :p

post #414 of 17297

About how many db do you think the felt mod lifted the bass at 20hz.....does it show on the sweeps?

post #415 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

So when are breaking the news of your next headphone acquisition to Luvey?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

LOL.  After she gets her Mini Cooper :p

We're not yet sure if that worked for HiFi.

So how are you handling the temptation? Or not.

post #416 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

We're not yet sure if that worked for HiFi.

So how are you handling the temptation? Or not.

 

Just like I suggested you enjoy your relatively new HE-500s, will keep an eye on reviews of the HE-560s once they're released into the wild (though @jerg seems to be going a wee bit wild atm ;-), and most importantly, wait for price reductions or used pairs to be on offer.  I got my HE-500s used from Head-Fi and have no complaints.

post #417 of 17297

After removing the baffle from the HE-500s, I don't see any place to add felt.  Look at the pic.  That's the side of the baffle that goes onto the driver.  It's flat, so it makes contact with the felt already on the driver (not the felt I added for the Fuzzor mod).  Additionally, the baffle has recesses precisely where the driver screws protrude slightly.

 

If I'm missing something, let me know.  There is the gap in the baffle where the mounting ring tabs slot in, but that needs to be there, and is on the opposite side of the baffle that contacts the driver/felt surface.  If you look at the baffle ring edge on, you can see light leaking through.  The baffle is essentially two plastics rings of different diameters joined by eight or so tiny plastic stanchions.  Thus, the gap through which light leaks.  I can't see getting felt or anything else in there.  It's a very narrow gap, and the mounting ring tabs would be obstructed.  Also, I'm pretty sure that's not what @jerg is talking about.

 

 

 

 

I haven't reattached the baffle, so if you see any point in adding more felt, I can try, but it'll take a good argument ;)

post #418 of 17297
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

After removing the baffle from the HE-500s, I don't see any place to add felt.  Look at the pic.  That's the side of the baffle that goes onto the driver.  It's flat, so it makes contact with the felt already on the driver (not the felt I added for the Fuzzor mod).  Additionally, the baffle has recesses precisely where the driver screws protrude slightly.

 

If I'm missing something, let me know.  There is the gap in the baffle where the mounting ring tabs slot in, but that needs to be there, and is on the opposite side of the baffle that contacts the driver/felt surface.  If you look at the baffle ring edge on, you can see light leaking through.  The baffle is essentially two plastics rings of different diameters joined by eight or so tiny plastic stanchions.  Thus, the gap through which light leaks.  I can't see getting felt or anything else in there.  It's a very narrow gap, and the mounting ring tabs would be obstructed.  Also, I'm pretty sure that's not what @jerg is talking about.

 

 

 

 

I haven't reattached the baffle, so if you see any point in adding more felt, I can try, but it'll take a good argument ;)

Ah okay the new baffle on the HE560 is 1 piece, with an outer circumference that's flat and an inner circumference that's tapered out to give the space for the earpad tabs. I forgot about the older models having the two-piece baffles.

post #419 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Ah okay the new baffle on the HE560 is 1 piece, with an outer circumference that's flat and an inner circumference that's tapered out to give the space for the earpad tabs. I forgot about the older models having the two-piece baffles.

 

Yeah, I should have taken a pic of the other (pad) side of the baffle.  It's tapered inwards, as you describe (or how I interpret it; larger inner diameter anyway).  I was surprised to see that gap when I held it up edge wise to my monitor.  I can take some more pix, if you like.

 

Funny that they didn't make recesses for the driver screw protrusions on the new baffle, or just use the old baffle, if the driver screws are in the same positions.

 

No extra sub-bass for me :(  ;) 


Edited by ThurstonX - 3/29/14 at 10:46am
post #420 of 17297
Thread Starter 

So I think this is what's the case here; the HE560 baffle cross-section is to the left, it's a single piece with a taper. The older style (on anything other than HE560) baffle is like how it is on the right.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =