- 1,352 Posts. Joined 10/2011
- Location: Bradford, PA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HE-560 is back! Last post on 7/1/14 at 12:25pm in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Hifiman is looking for the Amp designer Last post on 7/12/14 at 11:24am in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Fang: HIFIMAN new player Supermini and Megamini Last post on 9/30/16 at 6:11pm in Portable Source Gear
- HIFIMAN's NEXT Generation on Indiegogo is now LIVE Last post on 9/15/16 at 4:16pm in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- HIFIMAN: Looking for the Best Reviewers Last post on 10/23/16 at 2:56pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/28/16
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = - Page 23
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Did some 3-way comparisons between HE400, 500, and 560 the last hour, specifically on bass performance in music. My tentative conclusion is that HE560's bass impact/punch is somewhere in-between HE500 and 400 (with 500 being the most rumbly, and 400 the hardest-kicking), but in terms of articulation (not being one-notey, good texture) HE560 seems to eclipse both the two others. In terms of extension it is HE500 > HE560 > HE400.
Bass is definitely the easiest to compare, treble is next (maybe a few days ~ a week to form a coherent conclusion), and midrange will be the most elusive to interpret.
Edited by jerg - 3/28/14 at 2:29pm
I dunno, but sounds like the bass is pretty good, with good texture, sufficient impact, some decent rumble and excellent definition/articulation.
Sounds like the bass really is interesting and not the disappointment I anticipated from the very initial impressions :D
Articulation(texture/clarity of notes and pitches): 560>400=500 (400 not really equal to 500, but each with different shortcomings)
I am really happy to hear this :] I was starting to think the bass might be a bit anemic but nope! Seems like it's very well balanced and in accordance with mids and highs!
Awesome news and no more bass from me :D
It's hard for me to gauge the holographic size of the soundstage without feeling like I am making things up.
I will say that these have a much more convincing soundstage than my two other Hifiman cans, because of the sheer openness of the sound, neutrality / accurate timbre, and treble extension / airiness, and fast transient response. Listening to binaural recordings, I still have to close my eyes with HE500s/400s and force my brain into believing that things are projected outward, with these I can have my eyes open and my brain still gets tricked.
Edited by jerg - 3/28/14 at 2:53pm
What's the best source for binaural recordings?
I don't think they are very common as none of the albums I own come in binaural in any way, form or shape :/
Chesky does some, but that's about all I've heard of.
Having heard all of them, I certainly can relate to what you're saying.
The comparison of bass between the 400s and 500s is spot on: overall, if you have to rate the quality of both (using different attributes that define what bass is), they come out equal. They certainly are not similar: the 400s is tighter / cleaner (less distortion) bit the 500s has more impact and rumble (more distortion) that matches the overall philosophy of this cans.
The 560 seems to be taking the philosophy of the HE-4 but with more refinement and less fun voicing (not U-shaped with punchy bass; rather more similar to the HE-5LE here).
I REALLY like what you're telling us so far!
Edited by Clemmaster - 3/28/14 at 4:24pm
- = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 31 seconds ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget dual mono... 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC 1 minute ago
- › Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › "Best" Headphones for Directional Audio When Gaming?... 6 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 7 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 7 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear