really glad that you like the new finish. I like it too. As jamato8 has said above the new design is more reliable. More importantly it allowed us to add new internal damping to further stabilize the drivers. I have done quite a lot A/B in the past couple days, and the new damping we added has proved to be quite effective.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HE-560 is back! Last post on 7/1/14 at 12:25pm in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Hifiman is looking for the Amp designer Last post on 7/12/14 at 11:24am in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Fang: HIFIMAN new player Supermini and Megamini Last post on 12/26/16 at 5:31am in Portable Source Gear
- HIFIMAN's NEXT Generation on Indiegogo is now LIVE Last post on 9/15/16 at 4:16pm in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- HIFIMAN: Looking for the Best Reviewers Last post on 10/23/16 at 2:56pm in Portable Source Gear
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
When I first started looking for a pair of CIEMs, I was determined to find the best one in the $1000 region that would serve me equally well for everyday listening as well as stage use (I play in a...
Hi Head-Fi’ers! I’ve waited quite a bit long to use SuperMini and obtain its possible rival players at the same time (like Sony A15 and the new A35). I came across SuperMini a few months ago,...
Introduction Sennheiser HD800S is the successor to HD800 - one of the greatest headphones ever made. HD800 was the first headphone to actually WOW me hard...
Hello fellow head-fi members Welcome to the review of Advanced Evo X Sports Wireless In-ear Monitors. Disclaimer This were a sample provided by Advanced team for my review. I am not...
= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = - Page 188
Gear mentioned in this thread:
When we decided to change the design, we did have a concern that ppl might not warm up to the idea of going from solid wood to veneer. Would it be better if we start from veneer rather than solid wood?
Trust me if we could do all over again, i would really want that we started with this version. As we all know in life there is no going back. Yes, we did make some mistake, and we are deeply sorry about the inconvenience we caused. We promise that we will do better next time.
Going back to the new design. We didn't make this decision lightly. At the end after we compared the new version vs. the old one we all agreed that the new one is better both comestically and more importantly sonically. We are sorry that someone might be disappointed about not having a solid wood finish. I would urge you to take a look at the new HE-560 in person and have a good listen. You might just change your mind. If you don't, that's cool as well. There are other options on the market. :-)
Their top cans (HP1000) are aluminum actually.
A dense plastic medium (e.g. synthetic resin) should work as well if not better in terms of vibrational damping.
Edited by jerg - 5/23/14 at 7:55pm
i hate wood or wood veneer on headphones.. SERIOUSLY LAME!
I prefer the last revision look of the he-5560 only because there is less wood hehe
carbon fiber would have been awesome =) or brushed aluminum on the cheap.. anything nice but no plastic look.. something slick, modern, light
oppo pm-1 are a lot slicker design in my personnal opinion..
I also prefer oppo pm-1 rectangular cups to round cups but i don't know what impact rectangular cups would have on sound.
rectangular give more driver surface(important for subbass in planars,stats), also there is a better distribution of front|back weight and it's more modern looking..
Edited by Audiolic - 5/23/14 at 8:39pm
Veneer is real wood...
Add me to the list of people that like the new look. I'd honestly rather these are made of plastic for consistency.
Edited by Ishcabible - 5/23/14 at 8:41pm
Thanks very much for the pix.
While solid wood would (ugh) have been nice, I imagine the veneer will allow for consistency in appearance. That recent review that appeared (Tech Power or something?) had pix where the two cups looked quite different in color. That was disappointing. HFM is still going for "distinctive," and I think the new ones still are. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but count me still in.
And as someone pointed out, the pre-orders can be viewed as collectors items. Personally, I'd find it tough to part with one, if I had one. Of course, I'd want both! Decisions decisions...
My wife just raised an interesting question, one which should put us obsessive audiophiles to shame...
Does using veneer vs. solid wood change the weight, and if so, by how much? Reckon it all depends on the underlying material of the cups.
Edited by up late - 5/23/14 at 8:44pm
I think those are seriously beautiful and will result in a more consistent HE-560 look. I also think it's time to close this 'book of improvements.' This headphone is ready -- especially if the team judges that it has actually resulted in a sonic improvement over the previous version.
Now for the cable -- is it complementary of this fabulous new look? I have always liked and still like the Canare 1109 L-4E5AT that I sport on my HE-500. I still don't understand how or why HifiMan ever gave up on it. It's not stiff, looks really professional and sounds great to boot.
but it's not solid wood. solid wood cups was a selling point for this high end can. replacing that with wood veneer is kinda tacky to me in a can costing close to a grand.
- = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 3 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › DLeeWebb breaks 55,000 posts - Daylight Second 6 minutes ago
- › The Head-Fi Times "A Ghetto burnout newspaper" 6 minutes ago
- › How Many Times Have Your LCD3 Headphones Been Returned to Audeze... 6 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 6 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Sony/HTC/AKG/MISC Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling 7 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 8 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by gprs007
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by glassmonkey
- › JDS Labs OL DAC by SoundApprentice
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear