- 1,288 Posts. Joined 5/2013
- Location: Seattle, Washington
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HE-560 is back! Last post on 7/1/14 at 12:25pm in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Hifiman is looking for the Amp designer Last post on 7/12/14 at 11:24am in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- CanJam Music Appreciation Contest Last post on Today at 10:58 am in Head-Direct Premier Sponsor Forum
- Help: Static Pops with HIFIMAN HE-560 Planar Headphones. What's up? Last post on 4/9/15 at 10:56am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMAN @ StereoExchange Headphone Event Thursday March 19 in New York City Last post on 3/28/15 at 11:01pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
you know the original price of this one, a rock solid $100. can you feel it ? yees, there's a bad review is coming... let's take a look at what brainwavz says for it's own product, one word comes...
FOREWARD: as a relatively new user to head-fi, i dont expect many of you to take my review seriously. however, although i'm new to POSTING on this site, i've been an audiophile and a lurker of this...
Color! Because I feel in the mood for it. No, not really, this is just for the comparison. So, Red, & Green? Red - Not For Me. Green - Solid, & something I personally like. Comparison is...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank LH Labs for providing me with a review sample of GeekOut in exchange for my honest opinion. I thought I was done with my round of portable USB...
I have owned these headphones for about a week. The sounds quality is great but I'm not sure if I can wear these longer than 1 hour. My ears get way too warm. Would love a bit more airflow.
= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = - Page 11
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Man first thing first, HE560 sounds a lot less efficient than HE500 (possibly both due to the drivers, as well as to the much thicker earpads placing my ears farther from the drivers). It's much quieter (both running out of EF6's two outputs).
Edit: nvm I switched the cables around and HE560 sounds louder now, I think the EF6 outputs louder through the XLR out than the stereo out.
Edited by jerg - 3/27/14 at 1:07pm
And here I thought it'd be the other way around :/ The question is if these are prototypes [which tend to be less efficient] or retail version headphones? Anyone knows this?
They did better actually; they used a permeable mesh fabric under the pads (instead of the vinyl/rubber-ish material with past pads).
Quick MSPaint doodle of what the FR sounds like (importantly note the bass region, the low treble region, the treble extension, and the lack of ups and downs in the mids region) subjectively. (Sorry Berkeley U for ripping off your frequency range template off google image!)
Wow. That's just about Alpha Dog flat, with even smoother treble response. My wallet is about to take another hit!
Edit: I'm actually fine with less efficiency here, I wasn't planning on running it with out an amp which is par for the course for a flagship level phone, the 400i should be the one where efficiency matters.
Edited by Ultramus - 3/27/14 at 1:08pm
I think it might be the EF6 not outputting the same volume through the two outputs lol, switched the cables around and HE560 is now louder.
Good lol. You got me worried there!
Though I remember reading something about the EF6's outputs having different impedance/output so I didn't completely freak out :P
Thanks for clarifying though, you're handling this thread awesomely so far :D
Another thing that's becoming apparent is that my modded HE500 and the HE560 are different-sounding in nature...the HE500 is a heck of a lot richer-sounding, vocals sound lush and inviting. HE560s right now sound a lot more neutral, vocals sound less romantic and I want to say a bit more realistic.
Now you're talk'in
It's not treble-heavy at all. The balance is really nice between treble/mids/bass just from some initial vocal music. But yeah I will say HE500 is darker / more laid-back (even when modded).
Sounds to me like it takes after the single sided magnet little brother the HE-4....I was hoping it would be that way, rather than the darker, more laid back HE-500!
More air and soundstage?
They are pretty amazing TBH, the foam is really soft (much softer than pleather / velour foam), decently thick too but I don't think it's too thick. The two main features that draw parallels to my earpad mod are 1. velour tops, and 2. internal damping (they used a permeable meshy fabric, instead of what I did which is lots of holes cut up on the impermeable material of the old pads).
There is also a slight ~10 degree angling to the pads, which is much-needed I think. Funnily enough I also created some angling on my Modulor Jergpads, but I never documented it past a post and a photo.
Edited by jerg - 3/27/14 at 1:17pm
- = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
- › "The Lab" 1 second ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 24 seconds ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › CanJam London 2015 Is Official! August 29-30, 2015! 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet Vol. 3 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2015 (April 18,... 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by vaziyetu
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Geek Out 450 USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by motion2082
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by kite7
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheJniac
- › AKG K 550 by ahnvx
- › SKULLCANDY SLYR Circumaural Headset by ChromiumCola
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2