or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV - Page 6

post #76 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton View Post
 

And here is the quick XS video "MIND THE GAP":

 

 

I wonder if Val is aware of certain connotations behind the phrase "mind the gap"...

post #77 of 391

I really like the idea of these, but I already have the M100's and find them to be plenty portable enough (they fit in my jacket pocket, not that I keep them there haha).

 

Generally I use my IEM's but its nice to have a pair of over/on ears just to air the ears out a bit from time to time.

 

I do like the idea of a more balanced sound though, are these really as balanced as they say?  As the only issue I take with the M100's is that they give them impression of the mids being sucked out due to the huge bass and sparkle.

 

Might have to sell the M100's and look into the xs :)

 

GAH think I just convinced myself while typign this post :P

post #78 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

 

I wonder if Val is aware of certain connotations behind the phrase "mind the gap"...

 

The first one that comes to mind for me is the gap between the train and the edge of the platform in stations. I assumed that's why it was chosen.

post #79 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post


Can you explain to me what I said that was so ridiculous? Perhaps it was misunderstood.

Edit: The XS uses a different headband that's lighter than the M-80. On top of this because the XS hugs the head the weight is redistributed around the head, as opposed to directly on top of the head. Another headphone that is a good example of demonstrating this is the Pioneer HDJ-2000. That headphone is a weighty headphone with an all metal construction, but because of how head-conforming the headband is and the way it was designed, it redistributes the weight all-around the head vs. right on top (which would hurt given the weight of that headphone). However because of the way the headphone was designed, it isn't painful at all an is why it's been a successful headphone for DJs. The XS feels as light as a feather in comparison. Hope you find this more clear. If not, then I hope you get to try this headphone and compare for yourself with other headphones.

 

I've never owned any headphones where the weight on the top of the head is a problem. Pressure on the ears can be a problem, but never on the top of your head. So it's a pretty spurious recommendation.

post #80 of 391
I also created a thread covering the XS about two months ago. Check it out if you want.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/695104/v-moda-xs-v-moda-m-80s-upgraded-pictures-and-more-discussion-questions-firstthreadtocoverxs
post #81 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

The first one that comes to mind for me is the gap between the train and the edge of the platform in stations. I assumed that's why it was chosen.


Amongst internet culture it tends to pertain to "thigh gap". It's a fad/fashion/fitness thing. "Bikini bridge" is another one.

post #82 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post

I've never owned any headphones where the weight on the top of the head is a problem. Pressure on the ears can be a problem, but never on the top of your head. So it's a pretty spurious recommendation.

Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't make my recommendation spurious. It has happened with other people including myself with headphones such as the Shure SRH-840 and the Yamaha Pro 500, just to name a few, because of their design flaws and heavy weight (shame too because I love both those headphones). It's a great thing you never had this issue but it's not right to imply that this issue doesn't exist for other people. YMMV.
Edited by roma101 - 3/27/14 at 7:40pm
post #83 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post
 

 

I've never owned any headphones where the weight on the top of the head is a problem. Pressure on the ears can be a problem, but never on the top of your head. So it's a pretty spurious recommendation.


I thought your reaction was because of the weight of these sets - my M-80 w/out the cable only clocked in at 6.6oz (~185g) when I measured it, which is nothing compared to most mid-/hi-fi over-ears.  Once I eventually got brave enough to bend the SteelFlex band on mine to lessen the clamp, I could wear the set without touching them for an entire workday if I wanted to (literally, 8 hours straight), just opening my jaw & wiggling my ears every 90min or so to vary the exact pressure points.

 

I take the improved conformation to be much more of an aesthetics / ease of use feature than a true ergonomics improvement.

post #84 of 391

The Shure 840 is one of the worst offenders for heavy headband that I've ever felt.

post #85 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

The Shure 840 is one of the worst offenders for heavy headband that I've ever felt.

And there you go. I remember having these discussions with you Nathan.
post #86 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

ugh... I've been needing some kind of "gym" headphone for cramming some DnB when I'm working out... might have to get my self a little DAP with a line out an a Fiio E 11 and give these a go

 

they look nice and small, are they as rugged as I hear V Moda cans are? 

 

I wonder though sonically how they compare to the Beyer DT 1350? They are $100 cheaper 


Shenay, if you've never tried them, the DT1350s are a joke of a fit for some people - nonexistent pad cushion on an on-ear cup that's way too wide.  Even if you're lucky enough to be well-suited for them sitting still, I can't imagine the seal staying in place while you're working out.  The sensible thing to do would be to use a rugged in-ear/earbud, but if you really have to choose an on-ear, go for these instead with their significantly-narrower & better-fitting earcup. 

 

Also, maybe check that V-Moda will be willing to sell you a replacement headband & pads at some point, in case the stock ones get too dirty from sweat, etc. - you'll definitely have to plan on regularly somehow scrubbing/ treating the inner headband surface if you want it to stay clean.

post #87 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterZZ View Post

Thanks a lot, your comparison was really helpful. Can I please ask you to try one more song for me? smily_headphones1.gif



I'll just say that I have always loved the M-80 for female vocals and it's no surprise the XS has beautiful mids and renders the tone of female vocals very nicely (especially with Ellie Goulding - on other headphones that are a bit too bright she tends to sound artificial but the XS renders her vocals very naturally). With this song the XS sounds very intimate and it sounds like Lana is serenading you.

On the M-100, it's a slightly bigger and wider experience. It's more laid-back also. The mids don't sound recessed to me but her vocals are not as upfront as on the XS. The overall experience is a spacious one with pretty good imaging.

XS = intimate, beautiful for these vocals

M-100 = laidback, more spacious and more ambience, highs have a bit more sparkle while remaining smooth and so vocals still retain a nice tone

Personally I preferred the XS with this song. Again, it all depends on what your preferences are. Both cans are pretty good all-rounders, with the XS having an upper hand being the more balanced headphone.

Edit: Think intimate club vs hall. That to me is one of the main differences between the XS vs. M-100. Both great experiences but depending on the genre and the mood you might prefer one over the other.
Edited by roma101 - 3/27/14 at 8:22pm
post #88 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

I'll just say that I have always loved the M-80 for female vocals and it's no surprise the XS has beautiful mids and renders the tone of female vocals very nicely (especially with Ellie Goulding - on other headphones that are a bit too bright she tends to sound artificial but the XS renders her vocals very naturally). With this song the XS sounds very intimate and it sounds like Lana is serenading you.

On the M-100, it's a slightly bigger and wider experience. It's more laid-back also. The mids don't sound recessed to me but her vocals are not as upfront as on the XS. The overall experience is a spacious one with pretty good imaging.

XS = intimate, beautiful for these vocals

M-100 = laidback, more spacious and more ambience, highs have a bit more sparkle while remaining smooth and so vocals still retain a nice tone

Personally I preferred the XS with this song. Again, it all depends on what your preferences are. Both cans are pretty good all-rounders, with the XS having an upper hand being the more balanced headphone.

Edit: Think intimate club vs hall. That to me is one of the main differences between the XS vs. M-100. Both great experiences but depending on the genre and the mood you might prefer one over the other.

It will be a tough decision without being able to try both out, that's for sure. But thanks a lot, you've been very helpful. I appreciate it.
post #89 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterZZ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

I'll just say that I have always loved the M-80 for female vocals and it's no surprise the XS has beautiful mids and renders the tone of female vocals very nicely (especially with Ellie Goulding - on other headphones that are a bit too bright she tends to sound artificial but the XS renders her vocals very naturally). With this song the XS sounds very intimate and it sounds like Lana is serenading you.

On the M-100, it's a slightly bigger and wider experience. It's more laid-back also. The mids don't sound recessed to me but her vocals are not as upfront as on the XS. The overall experience is a spacious one with pretty good imaging.

XS = intimate, beautiful for these vocals

M-100 = laidback, more spacious and more ambience, highs have a bit more sparkle while remaining smooth and so vocals still retain a nice tone

Personally I preferred the XS with this song. Again, it all depends on what your preferences are. Both cans are pretty good all-rounders, with the XS having an upper hand being the more balanced headphone.

Edit: Think intimate club vs hall. That to me is one of the main differences between the XS vs. M-100. Both great experiences but depending on the genre and the mood you might prefer one over the other.

It will be a tough decision without being able to try both out, that's for sure. But thanks a lot, you've been very helpful. I appreciate it.
i have the M100, the XS, the LP2. Oops.
M100 - Best of sound, OK portability, better than the LP2. Shareplay kicks ass.
XS - Best of fit and portability
LP2 - Best of bass and dark, 'club /nightclub sound'.
Edited by Allucid - 3/27/14 at 10:31pm
post #90 of 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

 

I wonder if Val is aware of certain connotations behind the phrase "mind the gap"...

 

Well I got the idea after years of research, but then it hit me in London when I was on the tube and it says "MIND THE GAP"!  That is what I've felt for so long about headphones and industrial design in general.  I am sure there are other connotations, but it is catchy and cool and it gets the point across!!!

 

-V

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV